Great Decision | Syracusefan.com

Great Decision

LAOrange

Starter
I think it was a great decision to take DaJuan out of this game. Once the weather made clear that we were going to pack the zone it severely limited the space for he needed to function well. This in combination with the quick whistle made him more of a liability. Keita was fully capable of handling the smallish front court. The only time he got in trouble was when a guard made it through the outside.
This wasn't DaJuan's game.
On the offensive side, DaJuan not in there to clog the middle meant that he wouldn't get in the way of the guards when they drove. He'll be much more effective when we can spread the floor with the long jumpers.

Thats whats great abt having three capable 5's. Go with the "hot hand"

DC2 looked absolutely MASSIVE out there standing next to the rest of those players. I mean like..."DAAAAUMMN, that guy is BIG" massive. Was it just me, or did he just seem to stand out physically when he was on the floor?

DC2 looked absolutely MASSIVE out there standing next to the rest of those players. I mean like..."DAAAAUMMN, that guy is BIG" massive. Was it just me, or did he just seem to stand out physically when he was on the floor?

Its funny, I don't think he looks that big compared to the other players. Granted we haven't seen much of him yet, but for how massive everyone says he is, I feel like Onuaku looked much bigger.

I think it was a great decision to take DaJuan out of this game. Once the weather made clear that we were going to pack the zone it severely limited the space for he needed to function well. This in combination with the quick whistle made him more of a liability. Keita was fully capable of handling the smallish front court. The only time he got in trouble was when a guard made it through the outside.
This wasn't DaJuan's game.
On the offensive side, DaJuan not in there to clog the middle meant that he wouldn't get in the way of the guards when they drove. He'll be much more effective when we can spread the floor with the long jumpers.
Although I agree that Keita was perfectly capable and he played quite well, DaJuan needs experience right now. No matter how unique the scenario or conditions, the kid needs to feel the stage and play at the college level. Even if it was just another 5 minutes to begin the second half, I feel he should have got a little more run. Experience and understanding now lead to confidence and big contributions later.

DaJuan will have plenty of time to get his feet wet in the preseason ... given the conditions of the game I feel the coach made the right call as to who to play ... this was the first game of the season against a top 20 team you go to your strengths