great expectations... | Syracusefan.com

great expectations...

B

BillSU

Great game today for the most part by both teams. Too bad we do not have a starter who, like Battle, can hit the three almost as well when on. If Andrew White III only had another year. We could use his 18.5 PPG. Avg. last year.

Sometimes I found myself having expectations that were very low this season then grow high as the season progressed and we were 12-2. An ingrained habit of living through 36, 20 + win and 7, 30+ win seasons, I have watched SU teams play since Manley was brand new. Fred Lewis started it all – bringing in players who could win games. Watched form courtside as the official scorer’s spotter - Dave Bing, our HOF coach and other good and great players and never looked back after the 22- 6 year in 65-66. All those wins. Why was I wondering are we so wanting when it comes to wins, turnovers and low scoring? Then it all comes into what little brain I have and I understand what we see and JAB has to coach for players this year.

Light bulb on - this is a very young team. They haven’t played together. We all knew that heading into the season. That we have the record we do at 12 - 6 after a double overtime loss in Fla. is testament to great coaching. The top line players Moyer, Chukwu and Brissett, are freshmen, Battle is a sophomore. We have freshmen coming off the bench except for Howard who hasn’t exactly lit up the nylon in his career. It takes a year of seasoning in this league before the experience needed is gained most of the time.

Freshmen make mistakes. People who never played before make mistakes. Losing to Wake by 6, ND by 2 and VA the #2 ranked team by 7, all away ain’t bad. Fla. state had won 27 of 28 at home. Tough place to play and we took them to 2 OT’s before everyone fouled out. The point – the ACC is a tough place to be gaining experience.

However, my expectations are suddenly low again. I don’t believe with the teams we play, especially travel to that are record is going to be even close to what we have come to expect. If we produce a record, being optimistic, of 17 – 14 I’ll be happy waiting for 2018 to see what happens when Boeheim, Bazley and Carey arrive. Great expectations again. Nice if Battle stays for a third year but? GOSU! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom