Great job by OrangeNation in the ATL last night | Syracusefan.com

Great job by OrangeNation in the ATL last night

Eric15

Living Legend
There were multiple times where you could hear a loud "Let's Go Orange" chant on TV. That always gets me excited, especially in cities where you don't necessarily expect us to have a huge presence.

I was very disappointed that they did very little, if any, panning on the arena crowd. All I saw for most of the game were the first couple of rows.

I heard the LGO chant a few times, but other than that it sounded like the deadest arena we've ever played in. It also looked on TV like there were about 500 kids in the whiteout and then a completely empty stadium behind them. I don't know how true that is but it looked like a high school game on TV.

I heard the LGO chant a few times, but other than that it sounded like the deadest arena we've ever played in. It also looked on TV like there were about 500 kids in the whiteout and then a completely empty stadium behind them. I don't know how true that is but it looked like a high school game on TV.

Atlanta is probably the worst sports city in America.

There were multiple times where you could hear a loud "Let's Go Orange" chant on TV. That always gets me excited, especially in cities where you don't necessarily expect us to have a huge presence.
Here is a post from the GT forum on this...

Re: Tech loses to Syracuse by 1 (postgame thread)
Yesterday at 9:47 PM

Waiting for Team RPI to show up and talk about how much this helps us...

One of the worst college basketball games I have seen in person. That was a marginal Syracuse team and we could not beat them on our own floor. They have one outside shooter (GMac) and everything else played into our strength. There were a lot of Cuse fans in the house, especially next to me in section 200. The only time we see that many north easteners in person is when we play Duke.

End of game and end of half situations were awful execution. Nothing positive to take away from this effort. Cant wait to read how CBG spins it.

Loudest cheer of the game was when they showed CPJ on the megatron screen.

it sounded like there were 50 people in the stands, outside of the times SU scored a basket.

Not true at all. Rabid fan base, but folks care about college football first, second and third. Pro teams have trouble connecting because half the market isn't from here.

Not true at all. Rabid fan base, but folks care about college football first, second and third. Pro teams have trouble connecting because half the market isn't from here.

But "half the market" still constitutes about 3 million people.

But "half the market" still constitutes about 3 million people.

Those are the bulldog fans and they're nuts, along with the tons of other southern transplants who are cfb-first. There's enough energy there to cover any gap from the braves and hawks. Falcons under blank have actually tapped into the local market creatively and successfully.

Those are the bulldog fans and they're nuts, along with the tons of other southern transplants who are cfb-first. There's enough energy there to cover any gap from the braves and hawks. Falcons under blank have actually tapped into the local market creatively and successfully.

For the record, overall I think Atlanta is a terrific city.

ehh... thats an overrated statement.

Atlanta is a terrific sportstown. Its a huge pro and college football town. It gets GREAT ratings for NBA. Motor sports is HUGE. I believe its the biggest Tennis city in the country. They call it Braves country because they attract from so far. They have had super bowls, olympics, numerous final 4's, will have the football final 4 in the future, all star games etc...

you think its a bad sports town because the Falcons and Hawks play to a lot of empty seats. But that is because there are so many Steelers, Giants, Jets, Eagles, Patriots, Bills, Browns, and Bengals fans here. They go to sports bars instead of the GA dome on Sunday afternoon. When those teams come to Atlanta, they take over the stadium b/c its the 1 time every 5-10 yrs people get to see their team in the their new home.

Metro Atlanta grew from about 1.5 million in 1960 to 5.5 million in 2010. That is astronomical growth. And it doesn't come from fertile women.

In 20 -25 years, when the southern migration slows a bit and there is a new generation of sports fans, I bet my bottom dollar that you wont be calling Atlanta the worst sports city.

It actually filled out quite nicely. There was A LOT of orange. Probably 7500 people there... I would guess 1500 cuse fans. The arena was dead (including cuse) for the most part. It just had no excitement. I was at the cornell game on NYE. It reminded me of that.

Atlanta is a terrific sportstown. Its a huge pro and college football town. It gets GREAT ratings for NBA. Motor sports is HUGE. I believe its the biggest Tennis city in the country. They call it Braves country because they attract from so far. They have had super bowls, olympics, numerous final 4's, will have the football final 4 in the future, all star games etc...

you think its a bad sports town because the Falcons and Hawks play to a lot of empty seats. But that is because there are so many Steelers, Giants, Jets, Eagles, Patriots, Bills, Browns, and Bengals fans here. They go to sports bars instead of the GA dome on Sunday afternoon. When those teams come to Atlanta, they take over the stadium b/c its the 1 time every 5-10 yrs people get to see their team in the their new home.

Metro Atlanta grew from about 1.5 million in 1960 to 5.5 million in 2010. That is astronomical growth. And it doesn't come from fertile women.

In 20 -25 years, when the southern migration slows a bit and there is a new generation of sports fans, I bet my bottom dollar that you wont be calling Atlanta the worst sports city.

As a result of your honorable defense of your town, I will upgrade my assessment from "the worst" to "below average." ;)

(I was talking strictly support of it's own pro and college teams, there's no doubt that ATL is a tremendous city for national events)

As a result of your honorable defense of your town, I will upgrade my assessment from "the worst" to "below average." ;)

(I was talking strictly support of it's own pro and college teams, there's no doubt that ATL is a tremendous city for national events)
Ha, I think we get it...and I agree to a large extent re: pro. UGA is atlanta's college team, though. Athens is less than 50 miles outside the metro area. Gt has its own loyal base but nothing like uga. Regarding last night, getting anywhere in town by 7:00 is a near impossibility if you work. You could tell the cuse folks all made special arrangements because we were all there first. Then the gt folks trickled in.

Agree. Also, the darkening out of the arena does not help. It's one thing to do that at The Garden or the Lakers arena but it looks dumb at these college courts. Can't see the kids going crazy, etc.

The Braves didn't sell out playoff games and lots of big games. They lost 2 NHL teams and the Hawks forever had the boring rap.

The Braves have been an awesome ( :bang: Oh Lord ) baseball franchise for forever, yet in comparison their support is sup-par.

Maybe rephrase to support the local pro teams.

The Braves didn't sell out playoff games and lots of big games. They lost 2 NHL teams and the Hawks forever had the boring rap.

The Braves have been an awesome ( :bang: Oh Lord ) baseball franchise for forever, yet in comparison their support is sup-par.

Maybe rephrase to support the local pro teams.

NHL in the south is a crapshoot. Hockey is a regional sport for the most part. But as I say that, you would think that because of my prior point about the southern migration - that those people would go to games to at least see their old home team play - but I dont recall any hockey takeover like that.

The braves attendance has been fine. The mets did 2.15 million last year. Atlanta did 2.35 million. The world series runner up KC royals did less than 2 mil. Keep in mind they have 1 of the, if not the biggest baseball stadium currently. Most stadiums hold high 30's, low 40's... Turner holds 53. And is in a terrible part of Atlanta, and its south of Atlanta on top of that.

Not to be racially insensitive, but I thinks it's fair to point out that baseball is more of a "white sport" and there are very few white people that live south of Atlanta (minus peachtree city). So the vast majority of the fans live 20+ miles away from the stadium and then have to drive through the heart of Atlanta to get to the stadium that's in a bad part of town. Will be interesting to see what attendance does in 2017 when they move into their new, much smaller stadium 10 miles north of Atlanta in Smyrna.

On a side note, hockey was also played in downtown Atlanta. Hockey probably constitutes as a "white sport" as well. If hockey were to thrive in Atl, I would think it would have to be in the northern suburbs to succeed.

Interesting side note (at least to me)... The Thrashers had the most black players of any team in their final year in atlanta and those players were constantly on hip hop stations to promote the team. I have no idea if those black players are still on the Winnipeg roster. The Braves opening day starting OF consisted of 3 black outfielders the last 2 years. They announced late in 2013 the move to Smyrna and 2 of the outfielders have already been traded and replaced by white outfielders.

The Falcons and Braves are both getting new stadiums, I wonder if that will help a little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom