Great weekend in Syracuse ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Great weekend in Syracuse ...

That Facebook post by Bill Orange was a joke. Dick Vitale did not take that photo (fortunately we did not eat at the place where he got the food poisoning). A waiter took the picture in question. The picture was of such poor quality that Bill Orange decided to blame Dickie V for it as a joke.
i KNEW BillOrange was a liar ;)

Who were the alumni players that attended? Sounds as though it was a poor turnout. No DC? He normally attends a pile of games

Let's see:

Steve Shaw
Mark Cubit
Kevin King
Danny Schayes
Sonny Spera
Billy DeMarle

In addition to the ones mentioned in various posts here, I also recall Marty Head, Hal Cohen and Otis Hill. There were several others, but the introductions were done so poorly and so matter-of-factly as fans were noisily rushing out for halftime, it was hard to follow them. (Also Scott Shafer grabbed me as I was walking by him, and he was enthusiastically talking to me while the players were being introduced. It was impossible to follow both him and the PA announcer).

The only person likely to grab me would be an usher requesting I either sit down or move. Oh wait, I wouldn't be within 75 feet of the court anyway. :) Don't know you but feel like I do with your great stories-- I almost feel like a member of the program. Thanks!

Flights were not delayed, it didn't snow and we had a emphatic win against a perpetual NCAA/ACC power before an enthusiastic crowd of 32,000-plus. This is why I travel 300 miles to watch a two-hour game that could be viewed in the comfort of my home!

Among the things I would not have seen on television...

1) I don't know how Dickie V looked on tv, but he was quite ill prior to the game, an apparent victim of food poisoning. For a while, it was questionable whether he could broadcast it. But I guess he's a trooper who was not going to miss his first ACC game at the Dome.

2) Don't know whether this was shown on tv, but it was reunion weekend for former players. Sadly, this event has really gone downhill since it was run by Bernie Fine and Leo Eisner -- with many fewer players attending and no "alumni game." The returning players were introduced at halftime. Much to my disappointment, the loudest ovation went to Eric Devendorf, with the fans there barely acknowledging such program builders as Roosevelt Bowie, Raf Addison and Dennis Duval. I guess it was a case of "how soon they forget."

3) There was a reception for the alumni players at Club 44 after the game. The place was seriously crowded, and people were being let in only as others left... with a considerable line outside the door. Dan Schulman (who had been invited by JB) appeared at the door, and the gate-keeper told him to go to the end of the line. I, being the shy soul that I am, left the line, put my arm around Dan's waist and told the gate-keeper that Dan had just broadcast the game and had to be let in. I suspect the gate-keeper had no idea who Dan was... much less who I was... but he grumbled and said ... "Okay, go in." Then I went back and got in line again.

4) Once inside the reception, I was approached by Jason Poles who said "I've been talking with one of your fellow board members; you might want to go over there and say hello. Not sure which of my SU boards he was referring to, I looked over and saw no one I knew. Jason then took me "over there" and introduced me to FairfaxOrange. It turned out that Jason was referring to THIS board, not one of my "official" SU boards. Kind of funny that two posters here met via the networking skills of the only SU administrator who has ever reached out to this place. Anyhow, it was great meeting Mr. and Mrs. FairfaxOrange, season ticket holders who live in Virginia.

5) I acquired another "new best friend" during the course of the game. One of the downsides of court side seats (I know, another "first-world problem" because there really are not any downsides) is that referees frequently stand directly in front of you , blocking your view of the nearer basket. At yesterday's game, said referee was Roger Ayres. For some reason, he started talking with me during the game, and he turned out to be a really nice, and surprisingly humorous guy. In all the years I 've had those seats, Reggie Greenwood was the only other ref that engaged in social conversation (before he became coordinator of officials for the Ivy, Patriot and A-10 leagues).

6) There were more UNC fans there than was apparent on tv. Many of them were wearing gray or navy or white UNC shirts, rather than the "Carolina Blue" apparel that stood out on tv. Without exception, all the ones I met were very pleasant and very impressed with both our team and with the Dome. Funny sidelight: in the huge open area behind the temporary bleachers, there are many booths and activities -- one of which is a foul-shooting booth to raise money for the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation. (Four foul shot for $5 and you can win a Boeheim Foundation tee-shirt; all proceeds go to the Foundation). At several points during the pre-game, it seemed most of the folks in line at the booth were wearing UNC gear. Nice of them to support the Boeheim Foundation. I wonder how many of them will actually wear their Boeheim Foundation tee-shirts!

7) It was great to see so many students at the game two days before the start of classes. Even the SSS had a good turnout. I am surprised that Tomcat did not comment on the FIVE tubas. Very impressive.

8) At Syracuse airport this morning, the flight departing from the adjacent gate was bound for Atlanta, and a huge portion of the folks waiting for it were wearing UNC gear. So many in fact... that the flight was apparently seriously overbooked, and Delta was asking (and then begging) for volunteers willing to accept a $400 voucher for a future flight ... plus a bus ride to Rochester to get catch a flight "four hours from now." Delta was not getting any takers. I suspect all those Tarheel fans did not want to spend any additional time in upstate New York!

Contrast that with the reception they all got at the regionals.

We should do our alumni reunions at the regionals.

Thought the same thing about the alumni ovations (and, of course, about the recent rushing of the whole event).

How could anyone get a louder cheer than Raf? And why does the person who deserves the coldest welcome get the loudest ovation? Sad.

30 also. You don't annoy anyone, of course, but the response -- in contrast to some great players and human beings -- was disappointing.

Unlike everyone else on that court, he was a headache for coaches for four years. We could go right down the list of why he's unique among that group (violence, et al.) and note that he gave very little effort on the defensive end for most of his career.

If people like the player, so be it - there's no accounting for taste. Based on most criteria for celebrating a player, though, it's curious that Devendorf would get the loudest cheer.

Arguably the most loved alum, at least based upon the way he was mobbed for pics at the Verizon Center last March, was DC.

His four years on the hill made Devo look like an altar boy.

And he might be in the top three, along with Michael Ray Richardson and Iverson, for most derided NBA quotes. His rocky road did not end at SU.

The guys who come through this program are 18-22 years old. Many come from circumstances that I cannot even begin to fathom and spend their college years, and even beyond, trying to find their way. And in doing so, they sometimes do some really stupid things.

I support them all.

Arguably the most loved alum, at least based upon the way he was mobbed for pics at the Verizon Center last March, was DC.

His four years on the hill made Devo look like an altar boy.

And he might be in the top three, along with Michael Ray Richardson and Iverson, for most derided NBA quotes. His rocky road did not end at SU.

The guys who come through this program are 18-22 years old. Many come from circumstances that I cannot even begin to fathom and spend their college years, and even beyond, trying to find their way. And in doing so, they sometimes do some really stupid things.

I support them all.

Sorry, but I hate that rationalization. It's insulting to every 18-22-year-old who comes in and does everything the right way and doesn't hit a co-ed in the face and get suspended from school.

You know, like every other alumnus on the court yesterday.

I always volunteer to have my flight changed, if possible. Those vouchers are transferrable, and you can sell them on Craigslist… i.e. sell a $400 voucher for $300 - it's just free money, and you earned it.

i know people who book oversold flights with refundable tickets.

Syracuse to atlanta is 1 of the best flights to do it. its oversold well over 1/2 the time.

cto said:
In addition to the ones mentioned in various posts here, I also recall Marty Head, Hal Cohen and Otis Hill. There were several others, but the introductions were done so poorly and so matter-of-factly as fans were noisily rushing out for halftime, it was hard to follow them. (Also Scott Shafer grabbed me as I was walking by him, and he was enthusiastically talking to me while the players were being introduced. It was impossible to follow both him and the PA announcer).

Scott Shafer stories are awesome. From every tidbit we hear, it seems his public persona is exactly like his private one.

I think it's as simple as: young people cheer the loudest, and Devendorf was the player that is most familiar to them.

This. I was sitting next to a group of young guys & when Dr Hal Cohen was introduced they were totally shocked! They said - Dr Cohen?? Dr Cohen played for SU?? I told them that indeed he did. Come to find out they were all 1st year med students & Dr Cohen is one of their teachers. I quickly came up with a team picture from the 79-80 season. They had plans of doing something with that picture for their next class with him. They were so excited to find this out - I think they had a whole new perspective on the man! Of course it also made me feel reeeeally old since none of them looked over 15 years old! :)

Ok, it seems like some of us need to stick with the priorities. ;)

Some 'first-world problems' are different than other ' first-world problems'. ;)

A few others that were there Gene Waldron, Dave Harmon, Dale Shackleford & Charlie Lockwood.

Flights were not delayed, it didn't snow and we had a emphatic win against a perpetual NCAA/ACC power before an enthusiastic crowd of 32,000-plus. This is why I travel 300 miles to watch a two-hour game that could be viewed in the comfort of my home!

Among the things I would not have seen on television...

1) I don't know how Dickie V looked on tv, but he was quite ill prior to the game, an apparent victim of food poisoning. For a while, it was questionable whether he could broadcast it. But I guess he's a trooper who was not going to miss his first ACC game at the Dome.

2) Don't know whether this was shown on tv, but it was reunion weekend for former players. Sadly, this event has really gone downhill since it was run by Bernie Fine and Leo Eisner -- with many fewer players attending and no "alumni game." The returning players were introduced at halftime. Much to my disappointment, the loudest ovation went to Eric Devendorf, with the fans there barely acknowledging such program builders as Roosevelt Bowie, Raf Addison and Dennis Duval. I guess it was a case of "how soon they forget."

3) There was a reception for the alumni players at Club 44 after the game. The place was seriously crowded, and people were being let in only as others left... with a considerable line outside the door. Dan Schulman (who had been invited by JB) appeared at the door, and the gate-keeper told him to go to the end of the line. I, being the shy soul that I am, left the line, put my arm around Dan's waist and told the gate-keeper that Dan had just broadcast the game and had to be let in. I suspect the gate-keeper had no idea who Dan was... much less who I was... but he grumbled and said ... "Okay, go in." Then I went back and got in line again.

4) Once inside the reception, I was approached by Jason Poles who said "I've been talking with one of your fellow board members; you might want to go over there and say hello. Not sure which of my SU boards he was referring to, I looked over and saw no one I knew. Jason then took me "over there" and introduced me to FairfaxOrange. It turned out that Jason was referring to THIS board, not one of my "official" SU boards. Kind of funny that two posters here met via the networking skills of the only SU administrator who has ever reached out to this place. Anyhow, it was great meeting Mr. and Mrs. FairfaxOrange, season ticket holders who live in Virginia.

5) I acquired another "new best friend" during the course of the game. One of the downsides of court side seats (I know, another "first-world problem" because there really are not any downsides) is that referees frequently stand directly in front of you , blocking your view of the nearer basket. At yesterday's game, said referee was Roger Ayres. For some reason, he started talking with me during the game, and he turned out to be a really nice, and surprisingly humorous guy. In all the years I 've had those seats, Reggie Greenwood was the only other ref that engaged in social conversation (before he became coordinator of officials for the Ivy, Patriot and A-10 leagues).

6) There were more UNC fans there than was apparent on tv. Many of them were wearing gray or navy or white UNC shirts, rather than the "Carolina Blue" apparel that stood out on tv. Without exception, all the ones I met were very pleasant and very impressed with both our team and with the Dome. Funny sidelight: in the huge open area behind the temporary bleachers, there are many booths and activities -- one of which is a foul-shooting booth to raise money for the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation. (Four foul shot for $5 and you can win a Boeheim Foundation tee-shirt; all proceeds go to the Foundation). At several points during the pre-game, it seemed most of the folks in line at the booth were wearing UNC gear. Nice of them to support the Boeheim Foundation. I wonder how many of them will actually wear their Boeheim Foundation tee-shirts!

7) It was great to see so many students at the game two days before the start of classes. Even the SSS had a good turnout. I am surprised that Tomcat did not comment on the FIVE tubas. Very impressive.

8) At Syracuse airport this morning, the flight departing from the adjacent gate was bound for Atlanta, and a huge portion of the folks waiting for it were wearing UNC gear. So many in fact... that the flight was apparently seriously overbooked, and Delta was asking (and then begging) for volunteers willing to accept a $400 voucher for a future flight ... plus a bus ride to Rochester to get catch a flight "four hours from now." Delta was not getting any takers. I suspect all those Tarheel fans did not want to spend any additional time in upstate New York!

The Fairfax's are good people.

I always volunteer to have my flight changed, if possible. Those vouchers are transferrable, and you can sell them on Craigslist… i.e. sell a $400 voucher for $300 - it's just free money, and you earned it.
I take it if they can get me where I need the same day...my best story was I took a bump and received a $400 voucher during summer '12 and actually arrived 30 mins earlier than my original itinerary.

I will provide a full list if someone can show me the secret way to cut and paste here. For some reason I cannot. About 40 former players were there.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed seeing the alums. I'll reserve my opinions privately on the execution overall.

I did give the board a heads up in a posting Friday.

Check out and please "like" www.facebook.com/suhoops for Basketball Alumni News

There will be a good amount of players at the school's pregame tailgate and viewing party at Schine on campus hosted by the school's alumni offices. See above link for updates. Roosevelt Bouie, Preston Shumpert and Eric Devendorf already have made firm commitments.

Some things to consider:
1. Event happens during basketball season (obvious) so that prohibits current pro players and some coaches (at all levels from youth leagues, high school, college, overseas, etc). This is a good number.
2. Event happens during school break due to high ticket request.
3. Players do make it out to other games and the younger ones during the summer.
4. Players pay out of pocket for most expenses like travel and lodging. Plus, time off work and distant travel is a factor. Remember these are expenses for their whole group.
5. The big Duke game is 3 weeks later which affects people with farther travels who plan to go to that game. George Hicker '68 is rounding up his teammates to come including Dave Bing.
6. Work and family sometimes takes precedence over Alumni Weekend.
7. Life happens.

So like home football attendance, let's try to focus on who is there versus who isn't. Due to the nature at halftime, there wasn't a group photo taken that I know of. Please feel free to post pictures at the link listed above.

Thanks!!!

P.S. The other player opposite Raf Addison was Preston Shumpert during free throws. After the game, alums were invited to 44's (okay Club 44) and the whole coaching staff stopped by. And there Otis Hill '97 finally met the alumnus from his high school that everyone here is familiar with.

What things would you like to see?

30 also. You don't annoy anyone, of course, but the response -- in contrast to some great players and human beings -- was disappointing.

Unlike everyone else on that court, he was a headache for coaches for four years. We could go right down the list of why he's unique among that group (violence, et al.) and note that he gave very little effort on the defensive end for most of his career.

If people like the player, so be it - there's no accounting for taste. Based on most criteria for celebrating a player, though, it's curious that Devendorf would get the loudest cheer.
IMHO any player who takes the time to return to their school to cheer on the current team deserves strong recognition. I don't know for sure but if Devo doesn't live in Syrasuse, he had to make an effort to come back. He had to have enjoyed his time at SU and to have returned has respect for JB. Yeah he had his faults but my lasting impression is of him making the the shot that didn't count in the 6OT game. It's not uncommon for somebody to appericate what they had only after they have left it behind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom