Greensboro... | Syracusefan.com

Greensboro...

Bayside44

Somewhere lost? in the pile of threads over the last week to me was a lack of reviews of our tournament home.

Since I didn't stay in the hotel I cannot speak of that, but quickly:

-Smallish southern type town. Some revitalization, history, and some shabby-chic type stuff
-The area around the arena reminded me of Shea Stadium without the planes or stink
-Parking cheap if you got it
-Arena area itself was pretty ok. Great outside tailgate section - plenty of beer tents, bar, stage, huge flatscreen, fans from all schools (as I entered I heard "f-you old man, you don't want to fight" and I knew it was one of ours). This area pretty much saved the weekend.
-Other schools fans did their own tailgating thing. You weren't in Manhattan
-14 schools shared a massive area in the arena building but before the ticketing called the BACCourt. We had our own equally large area. This was a bar and buffet. Fun Friday, a bit of a funeral parlor on Saturday. Cuse put on a really nice spread.
-The arena on the inside looks far better than it does on TV. Big, clean, good sightlines. Loud.
-Duke's townie fans are the outright scariest group of people I have ever seen. WVU fans would mock them.
-UVa fans straight out of central casting, looked like a Vineyard Vines shoot.
-Saw random UMD fans looking salty, a couple of VTech people still pinching themselves, Clemson people just hanging by their RVs.
-There was a fanfest thing that looked kid-friendly. Since my kids weren't with us, I didn't see it.
-The ACC museum can use a little work, but nice idea. Cuse needs to step up it's part of it.
-Did I mention the outside bar / beer tent / bbq? Turkey bbq too for those who need it. Good stuff.

Honestly, I was pretty in on Greensboro...but to me the town is just too small and the area around the gym just too lousy. I am partial to DC but it just makes so much more sense...teams won't have to share hotels, ample ways to and from the Verizon Center. Charlotte is fine too. Brooklyn should be interesting for that bunch.

How was the in-game atmosphere, because on TV it sure seemed quiet and tame to say the least?

How was the in-game atmosphere, because on TV it sure seemed quiet and tame to say the least?

The usual stuff really. We were next to the State section and they were pretty loud and some very obnoxious - vulgar to the point of their own fans telling them to stuff it. I was expecting quiet based on the TV but not really. The standing wasn't as much as other times but it was plenty. Since NCSU was the dog they had the crowd late.

As I only spent half of 1 day in Greensboro instead of 3 because of our loss, I don't have much to add.
However, I was personally a big fan of Greensboro Coliseum.
Call me cheesy, but I was really excited to see it in person after watching games from there over all these years.
Felt like a big-time atmosphere in an equally huge place.
Felt brand new, despite being 50 years old or so.
Really good sightlines from our marginal corner seats.
Checked out the fanfest, it was a little "small town" but I was cool with that for a change... got some ok giveaways including a Geico gecko wearing an ACC shirt... and my friend got her face painted which she was excited about.
Equally small town were the party balloons in all the school colors hanging from the arena lobby as you walked in.. but same deal there, new town, new feel.
There were all sorts of "ambassadors" walking around in green fleeces saying "super host" and others in their Greensboro Sports Council blazers. I told one of them I digged the old-school feel... reminded me of when the CBS announcers wear the blazers with the big CBS logo.
Never made it to downtown Greensboro.. was planning to do that on Saturday but never made it given the loss.
If you're ever there or in Durham - Dame's Chicken and Waffles is a MUST.
And Bojangles isn't bad either.
Would have checked out the ACC museum if it was free, but I figured it wouldn't be much of interest to us right now.
The Duke basketball museum in Durham (connected to Cameron) is certainly worth a visit, even for us.
Looking forward to returning to Greensboro next year.

Aside from the game, I enjoyed the experience at the Coliseum... for all the reasons you mentioned. It was a very fan-friendly place, and we had zero issues with parking. I never ran into a hostile fan. They were all welcoming. The Maryland fans were so sad: "Welcome to the ACC; we're so sorry we are leaving it." Odd stuff: 1) I loved the ACC pep bands; much better than we saw in the Big East. 2) It's a dry arena, but all the suites and other "venues" are not dry. Had no issue getting adult beverages. 3) SU had by far the best private party for its fans; folks from other schools were actually jealous.. and asked how we did it. 4) I'd go back... ever hopeful for a better outcome.

Last edited:
Bayside44 said:
Somewhere lost? in the pile of threads over the last week to me was a lack of reviews of our tournament home. Since I didn't stay in the hotel I cannot speak of that, but quickly: -Smallish southern type town. Some revitalization, history, and some shabby-chic type stuff -The area around the arena reminded me of Shea Stadium without the planes or stink -Parking cheap if you got it -Arena area itself was pretty ok. Great outside tailgate section - plenty of beer tents, bar, stage, huge flatscreen, fans from all schools (as I entered I heard "f-you old man, you don't want to fight" and I knew it was one of ours). This area pretty much saved the weekend. -Other schools fans did their own tailgating thing. You weren't in Manhattan -14 schools shared a massive area in the arena building but before the ticketing called the BACCourt. We had our own equally large area. This was a bar and buffet. Fun Friday, a bit of a funeral parlor on Saturday. Cuse put on a really nice spread. -The arena on the inside looks far better than it does on TV. Big, clean, good sightlines. Loud. -Duke's townie fans are the outright scariest group of people I have ever seen. WVU fans would mock them. -UVa fans straight out of central casting, looked like a Vineyard Vines shoot. -Saw random UMD fans looking salty, a couple of VTech people still pinching themselves, Clemson people just hanging by their RVs. -There was a fanfest thing that looked kid-friendly. Since my kids weren't with us, I didn't see it. -The ACC museum can use a little work, but nice idea. Cuse needs to step up it's part of it. -Did I mention the outside bar / beer tent / bbq? Turkey bbq too for those who need it. Good stuff. Honestly, I was pretty in on Greensboro...but to me the town is just too small and the area around the gym just too lousy. I am partial to DC but it just makes so much more sense...teams won't have to share hotels, ample ways to and from the Verizon Center. Charlotte is fine too. Brooklyn should be interesting for that bunch.

Thanks. I was curious.

About what I expected.

I guess we weren't there long enough for many to give a proper review.

While I'm partial to New York, DC does seem to make the most sense.

The ACC tourney in Greensboro is akin to the Big East holding its tourney in Hartford.

The parking was dicey for us as we arrived at 4:00 on Friday to be able to get to FanFest at 4:30 and then the SU party at 5.. which meant the lots were totally full as the day session had not let out yet (although some UNC fans were leaving..)

We ended up finding parking on a neighborhood street (called Husbands Lane) ... for free. Quick 10 minute walk. There was a junkyard dog behind a fence right by our car, both before the game and after. On the way out, I provoked it by barking in its face... which seemed to get 10 other dogs in the neighborhood barking as well. It was fun.

Aside from the game, I enjoyed the experience at the Coliseum... for all the reasons you mentioned. It was a very fan-friendly place, and we had zero issues with parking. I never ran into a hostile fan. They were all welcoming. The Maryland fans were so sad: "Welcome to the ACC; we're so sorry we are leaving it." Odd stuff: 1) I loved the ACC pep bands; much better than we saw in the Big East. 2) It's a dry arena, but all the suites and other "venues" are not dry. Had no issue getting adult beverages. 3) SU had by far the best private party for its fans; folks from other schools were actually jealous.. and asked how we did it. 4) I'd go back... every hopeful for a better outcome.

The in-arena booze thing I didn't quite get. A mutual friend of ours sent me a txt to join for a drink in the arena after we lost. I was befuddled and cranky, so we went to our friend's house. Where was it?

But yes, the balloons, courtly gentlemen, banners, space, and general cleanliness of the place was a pretty new experience.

I failed to mention that we drove through "downtown" after the Saturday game...there looked to be a big party in the town square type place. I think Eddie Money was gonna play (not kidding).

Somewhere lost? in the pile of threads over the last week to me was a lack of reviews of our tournament home.

Since I didn't stay in the hotel I cannot speak of that, but quickly:

-Smallish southern type town. Some revitalization, history, and some shabby-chic type stuff
-The area around the arena reminded me of Shea Stadium without the planes or stink
-Parking cheap if you got it
-Arena area itself was pretty ok. Great outside tailgate section - plenty of beer tents, bar, stage, huge flatscreen, fans from all schools (as I entered I heard "f-you old man, you don't want to fight" and I knew it was one of ours). This area pretty much saved the weekend.
-Other schools fans did their own tailgating thing. You weren't in Manhattan
-14 schools shared a massive area in the arena building but before the ticketing called the BACCourt. We had our own equally large area. This was a bar and buffet. Fun Friday, a bit of a funeral parlor on Saturday. Cuse put on a really nice spread.
-The arena on the inside looks far better than it does on TV. Big, clean, good sightlines. Loud.
-Duke's townie fans are the outright scariest group of people I have ever seen. WVU fans would mock them.
-UVa fans straight out of central casting, looked like a Vineyard Vines shoot.
-Saw random UMD fans looking salty, a couple of VTech people still pinching themselves, Clemson people just hanging by their RVs.
-There was a fanfest thing that looked kid-friendly. Since my kids weren't with us, I didn't see it.
-The ACC museum can use a little work, but nice idea. Cuse needs to step up it's part of it.
-Did I mention the outside bar / beer tent / bbq? Turkey bbq too for those who need it. Good stuff.

Honestly, I was pretty in on Greensboro...but to me the town is just too small and the area around the gym just too lousy. I am partial to DC but it just makes so much more sense...teams won't have to share hotels, ample ways to and from the Verizon Center. Charlotte is fine too. Brooklyn should be interesting for that bunch.
My friend from Cary was there, him and some friends went in an RV. Said it was hard to review the tourney due to SU's short visit. Said it lacked the atmosphere of the Garden but then I can't think of any place in the US that could( match MSG). Not even Brooklyn will be quite the same.

The usual stuff really. We were next to the State section and they were pretty loud and some very obnoxious - vulgar to the point of their own fans telling them to stuff it. I was expecting quiet based on the TV but not really. The standing wasn't as much as other times but it was plenty. Since NCSU was the dog they had the crowd late.
Its funny, I was talking to my friend at work down here in Atlanta, huge UGA fan and out of the blue he tells me about when he used to bartend for some big sporting events and the worst fanbase BY FAR, was the NC State fanbase. They have quite the reputation.

Its funny, I was talking to my friend at work down here in Atlanta, huge UGA fan and out of the blue he tells me about when he used to bartend for some big sporting events and the worst fanbase BY FAR, was the NC State fanbase. They have quite the reputation.

Many years ago when Rutgers went 0-12 in football, I was invited to the Rutgers/Syracuse game to watch McNabb with some Rutger's alums where I worked. The Rutgers alums sitting next to me were heckling their own team! First, after SU scored on a 40 yard rush to the end zone the Rutger's guy yells out, "15 yard penalty for humiliating the defense!" Then when the offense had the ball, he would yell out, "Put the water in the end-zone! Put the water in the end-zone!" I couldn't believe it at the time although I found it very funny!

The parking was dicey for us as we arrived at 4:00 on Friday to be able to get to FanFest at 4:30 and then the SU party at 5.. which meant the lots were totally full as the day session had not let out yet (although some UNC fans were leaving..)

We ended up finding parking on a neighborhood street (called Husbands Lane) ... for free. Quick 10 minute walk. There was a junkyard dog behind a fence right by our car, both before the game and after. On the way out, I provoked it by barking in its face... which seemed to get 10 other dogs in the neighborhood barking as well. It was fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom