Greg Paulus heads 2018 class of Greater Syracuse Sports Hall of Fame | Syracusefan.com

Greg Paulus heads 2018 class of Greater Syracuse Sports Hall of Fame

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

Here are the other seven members of the class of 2018:

• Jake Crouthamel: Former Syracuse University athletic director who oversaw the construction of the Carrier Dome and the expansion of many programs and facilities. He was also one of the founding figures of the Big East conference. Crouthamel was an outstanding football player at Dartmouth and was the first player signed by NFL's expansion Dallas Cowboys. As a football coach he led Dartmouth to three consecutive Ivy League championships.
  • Bill Dutch: Co-founder/first president of Greater Syracuse Sports Hall of Fame and past president of Syracuse Chiefs.
  • Tommy Myers: Former standout defensive back for Fayetteville-Manlius High School, Syracuse University and the New Orleans Saints. He was a member of SU's all-century football team.
  • Ron Pelligra: A Christian Brothers Academy and St. Lawrence University wrestling and football hall of famer. At CBA he compiled an 80-8 career wrestling record and was a two-time NCAA Division III All-American as a defensive tackle at St. Lawrence. He was also a collegiate All-American in wrestling and became SLU's first NCAA champion in any sport when he won as a superheavyweight in Division III. He died suddenly of a heart attack in 2013 at the age of 58
  • Joe Reddick: Former basketball star at Corcoran and Albany (Ga.) State College.
  • Eddie "Babe" Risko: Syracuse-born boxer who became the middleweight champion of the world in 1935. He died at age 45 in 1957.
  • Ed Schmitt: Long-time Fayetteville-Manlius boys soccer coach. He compiled a career mark of 264 wins-55-14 ties and won 15 league and sectional Class A championships.

Here are the other seven members of the class of 2018:

• Jake Crouthamel: Former Syracuse University athletic director who oversaw the construction of the Carrier Dome and the expansion of many programs and facilities. He was also one of the founding figures of the Big East conference. Crouthamel was an outstanding football player at Dartmouth and was the first player signed by NFL's expansion Dallas Cowboys. As a football coach he led Dartmouth to three consecutive Ivy League championships.
  • Bill Dutch: Co-founder/first president of Greater Syracuse Sports Hall of Fame and past president of Syracuse Chiefs.
  • Tommy Myers: Former standout defensive back for Fayetteville-Manlius High School, Syracuse University and the New Orleans Saints. He was a member of SU's all-century football team.
  • Ron Pelligra: A Christian Brothers Academy and St. Lawrence University wrestling and football hall of famer. At CBA he compiled an 80-8 career wrestling record and was a two-time NCAA Division III All-American as a defensive tackle at St. Lawrence. He was also a collegiate All-American in wrestling and became SLU's first NCAA champion in any sport when he won as a superheavyweight in Division III. He died suddenly of a heart attack in 2013 at the age of 58
  • Joe Reddick: Former basketball star at Corcoran and Albany (Ga.) State College.
  • Eddie "Babe" Risko: Syracuse-born boxer who became the middleweight champion of the world in 1935. He died at age 45 in 1957.
  • Ed Schmitt: Long-time Fayetteville-Manlius boys soccer coach. He compiled a career mark of 264 wins-55-14 ties and won 15 league and sectional Class A championships.
Paulus may head it but Jake's the headliner in my eyes.

i will say its one of the worst events you can attend, but congrats to the nominees.

I am honored to have played for Coach Ed Schmitt at Fayetteville-Manlius.

In twenty-one seasons, he won 30 Championships - 15 OHSL Championships and 15 Section III Championships.

He had nine undefeated seasons.

And he established one of the first specialty sports camps in the USA - The National Soccer Camp.

He not only had a superior technical knowledge of the sport - light years ahead of his competitors - but taught all of those who played for him invaluable life lessons.

The November 5, 2018 Induction Dinner at the OnCenter will be a lot of fun.

I encourage you to attend.

How does Paulus make the headline over Jake?!?!?!

The world didn't begin in 2006.

I have always failed to see the "great " thing paulus did here, just dont get it.

I have always failed to see the "great " thing paulus did here, just dont get it.

I am about anti-CBA person as they come and Go Ludden... But Paulus deserves every bit of the recognition for his accomplishments especially in high school. Unreal numbers and impact on Syracuse sports (maybe not SU).

Umm, wasn't he a HS All American in FB and BB, played 4 years at Duke, then here at SU.
It's not just SU accomplishments.

I guess that's where i get blurry, i didn't count the HS accolades. Not sure why local p5s consider stud high schoolers that went elsewhere.

I guess that's where i get blurry, i didn't count the HS accolades. Not sure why local p5s consider stud high schoolers that went elsewhere.

The Greater Syracuse Sports Hall of Fame pays tribute to the men and women whose achievements in the world of sports have made Syracuse synonymous with athletic success, and have brought special honor to our community.

https://www.greatersyracusesportshalloffame.com/gsshof-inductees

It’s not the SU hall of fame. I’m not sure how you can look at the other winners and not understand why Paulus would get in.

He won Gatorade player of the year out of high school. Check out the other people who have gotten that award. Pretty good company to keep.

Gatorade Player of the Year awards - Wikipedia

It’s not the SU hall of fame. I’m not sure how you can look at the other winners and not understand why Paulus would get in.

He won Gatorade player of the year out of high school. Check out the other people who have gotten that award. Pretty good company to keep.

Gatorade Player of the Year awards - Wikipedia

Understood, didnt consider him as a hometown HS player. That considered, he i is a slamdunk

Can I offer an edit to SU's headline? How about "Jake Crouthamel Heads 2018 Class..."?

Because for like 95% of the people who read that piece, he's the one who matters most.

I like how the co-founder of the Hall is getting inducted - IMHO lasting legacy will be making a very few people pretty wealthy when the Chiefs sold to the Mets. I know, I know they saved baseball in Syracuse....for a few years at least.

He kept Nassib from getting sacked 27 times.

He was also the team MVP that year and by the end of the year was playing very well.

What he accomplished at SU is nothing short of amazing - he had not played football in four years - he did not participate in spring practice and he wins the starting job and sets SU passing records in the process.

He has my respect.

He was also the team MVP that year and by the end of the year was playing very well.

What he accomplished at SU is nothing short of amazing - he had not played football in four years - he did not participate in spring practice and he wins the starting job and sets SU passing records in the process.

He has my respect.

In the era of hyper-specialization for sports, I don't think any of us fully appreciates what Paulus did on limited training. Earning a starting job at that position and winning games in Division I football after years away from the sport is just crazy when you stop and think about it.

In the era of hyper-specialization for sports, I don't think any of us fully appreciates what Paulus did on limited training. Earning a starting job at that position and winning games in Division I football after years away from the sport is just crazy when you stop and think about it.
Not arguing your point, just expanding. Michael Jordan comes to mind as an equivalent. MJ didn't play baseball at a high level like Paulus did with hoops at Duke, but Paulus didn't come back to football and win the NC. This is where I have the problem. He should have won us a second NC. Lazy.

Can I offer an edit to SU's headline? How about "Jake Crouthamel Heads 2018 Class..."?

Because for like 95% of the people who read that piece, he's the one who matters most.
I think 95% is a bit high. Jake retired in 2005. A lot of people born in the past 20 years may have never heard of him. Even people born before then may not be familiar with him if they are not SU fans.
I am a great admirer of Jake and he deserves all the accolades given to him but we do know that fame is fleeting.
By the way, Jake will turn 80 next Wednesday and I hope that he is still in good health. I recalling looking across the field and seeing him near the press box with his ever present cigarette in his mouth.

I think 95% is a bit high. Jake retired in 2005. A lot of people born in the past 20 years may have never heard of him. Even people born before then may not be familiar with him if they are not SU fans.
I am a great admirer of Jake and he deserves all the accolades given to him but we do know that fame is fleeting.
By the way, Jake will turn 80 next Wednesday and I hope that he is still in good health. I recalling looking across the field and seeing him near the press box with his ever present cigarette in his mouth.

Yeah, long after smoke-free workplaces went into effect, he and Andy Roberts were two guys at Manley who paid no attention to that law. They were lighting up in their offices, during meetings, and, in Andy's case, underneath the Manley bleachers during practices, well into the '90s. Different era!

Yeah, long after smoke-free workplaces went into effect, he and Andy Roberts were two guys at Manley who paid no attention to that law. They were lighting up in their offices, during meetings, and, in Andy's case, underneath the Manley bleachers during practices, well into the '90s. Different era!
I was on the hill when the NY restaurant and bar ban went into effect in the mid-nineties. Hysterical to watch everyone who came to M Street without a coat because the bars were so hot and crowded to have to go outside on the sidewalk in sub-zero temperatures to have a smoke.

I was on the hill when the NY restaurant and bar ban went into effect in the mid-nineties. Hysterical to watch everyone who came to M Street without a coat because the bars were so hot and crowded to have to go outside on the sidewalk in sub-zero temperatures to have a smoke.

The flip side of that, I remember going coat-less to bars before the smoking ban because of how bad a coat would smell after even a few hours in a smoky bar.

The flip side of that, I remember going coat-less to bars before the smoking ban because of how bad a coat would smell after even a few hours in a smoky bar.
I did that all the time.