Grilli's comeback fueled by 17 year old soccor player who lost a leg | Syracusefan.com

Grilli's comeback fueled by 17 year old soccor player who lost a leg

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
During last night's all star game they did a bullpen interview with Jason Grilli. Here is what he said about his come back:

Grilli also reflected on his recovery from a season-ending knee injury during spring training in 2010.

“It wasn’t a fun day that day. My body failed me that day, but the Cleveland Indians were gracious in taking care of me,” he said. “They sent me to Dr. Steadman out in Vail, Colorado, and he got me back together. That was part one of the whole saga. Then I obviously did some extensive rehab after being told I might not be able to walk right, let alone play baseball again and the people that have helped me after that, they’re all here tonight.

“I had an angel walk in, Breanna McMahon, who has a prosthetic leg and is a former athlete, she’s still an athlete, and had a soccer scholarship and we formed a pretty good relationship and she gave me a lot of strength, so I had to have her here tonight, as well as my physical therapist, Melissa Brown, and my personal trainer, Randy Hadley.”

McMahon, of Orlando, Fla., had a scholarship to play soccer, but during a car wash fundraiser, her friend mistakenly nudged the gas pedal of a car instead of the brake and pinned the 17-year-old against a wall, according to a story by MLB.com. She lost a leg.

“I see this young beautiful girl walk in (to rehab), hobbling and I see what she had to contend with and right in that instance that gave me a ton of strength to say, you know what, she’s going through a lot worse things than I am,” Grilli said. “I know I’m gonna get through my pain and struggles. Together we formed a really tight relationship and we worked our rear ends off to both get back to where we’re at right now.

“She’s participating in some sports activities even still even with these special prosthetic legs that they’ve given her. It’s awesome to see, I get videos and I cry every time she sends them to me cause I’m just so proud of what she’s capable of too.”

The rest of the Grilli story

CNY pitchers take center stage

Image_4.jpg

Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Jason Grilli, who grew up in Baldwinsville, throws during the ninth inning for the National League. He allowed a lead-off triple to Prince Fielder, but then retired three straight batters to escape without allowing a run. His National League team still lost, 3-0. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

When asked about the numerous teams he’s played for, Grilli said, “Yeah, I’ve collected a few jerseys.”

He also said he was thrilled to be on the cover of the upcoming Sports Illustrated magazine, which looks ahead to baseball’s second half.

“That’s unbelievable,” he said.

“I’m humbled by all this and just put in a lot of hard work. To watch all these young stars and some of these greats out here, I’m just glad to be amongst them.”

Patrick Corbin is hard-luck loser at MLB All-Star game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom