Gtown/Lville defense | Syracusefan.com

Gtown/Lville defense

RICuse44

Starter
In all honesty I'm not sure what to say. I know there is very little defense played in the NBA that resembles anything like these two teams put out on the court. Most good NBA defensive teams protect the rim and challenge shots. They do not constantly hand check the opposition. I used to think the NBA game is too soft. But, after watching what these two teams put out on the court I have really reversed field. If defensive pressure means constantly riding the other team the entire game then please put me in the group that does not want to see that. Maybe the Lvile guards should have been collegiate wrestlers if thats the way they want to play. And as for those that say Cuse should have adjusted I would challenge with the question of how? If you don't play press and that's not your game then you are not going to immediately switch over.

My big question is whether the other leagues are officiated in a similar manner. I've not caught a lot of out of conference games but from what I've seen they appear to be more wide open. If that's the case then where do you see Lville and Gtown exiting? I don't see both making the sweet sixteen and neither making the final four if they continue to play that way, mostly because they would have no players out on the court. The lack of officials taking control of the game has been maddening. Last night in the first half we actually had more fouls than Lville. What is even more ridiculous is when the announcers cover up for it. And please, do not give me the excuse that this is the Big East. Basketball is basketball. A foul is a foul. The reason teams drag other teams into the muck and mire is because they are less talented. Let's call a spade a spade. If you want to get physical wrestle. Or play football. Then you can mix it up with Shamarko.

In all honesty I'm not sure what to say. I know there is very little defense played in the NBA that resembles anything like these two teams put out on the court. Most good NBA defensive teams protect the rim and challenge shots. They do not constantly hand check the opposition. I used to think the NBA game is too soft. But, after watching what these two teams put out on the court I have really reversed field. If defensive pressure means constantly riding the other team the entire game then please put me in the group that does not want to see that. Maybe the Lvile guards should have been collegiate wrestlers if thats the way they want to play. And as for those that say Cuse should have adjusted I would challenge with the question of how? If you don't play press and that's not your game then you are not going to immediately switch over.

My big question is whether the other leagues are officiated in a similar manner. I've not caught a lot of out of conference games but from what I've seen they appear to be more wide open. If that's the case then where do you see Lville and Gtown exiting? I don't see both making the sweet sixteen and neither making the final four if they continue to play that way, mostly because they would have no players out on the court. The lack of officials taking control of the game has been maddening. Last night in the first half we actually had more fouls than Lville. What is even more ridiculous is when the announcers cover up for it. And please, do not give me the excuse that this is the Big East. Basketball is basketball. A foul is a foul. The reason teams drag other teams into the muck and mire is because they are less talented. Let's call a spade a spade. If you want to get physical wrestle. Or play football. Then you can mix it up with Shamarko.
The Big East is the worst with this kind of play but its spreading into the rest of college basketball.

Bilas has been all over this issue all year - but was strangely quiet last night. It started with Butler and has spread through college Bball.

I think it will get cleaned up. If Duke or UNC gets mugged like we do, the NCAA will change the hand check rules.

I recall Pitino's Providence teams using the same type of pressure, handchecking defense that he uses at Louisville in the 80's. UConn used to play pressure defense particularly with their guards a decade or so ago.Georgetown under John Thompson the 2nd used the guard bump and grind and then there is Marquette. I don't think it started with Butler , it's a rehash of old pressure defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom