guards

• not good

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • pretty disappointing

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Toga

Living Legend
Heading into the season one could plausibly believe we had the best set of guards in the country. Oh my. They are below average shooters and the starters have no ball security. Kind of integral components to what makes a good guard.

Really hard to watch.

I'm content to place MCW way above Triche at this point. MCW came to ball today.

Triche on the other hand...did not.

The real issue here goes back several years, to recruiting. We have absolutely no depth at guard and that situation looks to get even worse next year.

I agree on MCW I thought he played well today but Triche is just terrible ( he can't even inbound the ball now)

Boeheim refuses to play Cooney. That's the problem. More playing time gives Cooney more experience, and also gives the other guards some rest.

MCW is fine. He's been shaky at times, but he's essentially a freshman if you look at his PT compared to last year. But Triche is horrible. I can live with the missed shots, but he was so unbelivably lazy on D today, especially with Hancock. Cooney needs to get at least 18 mpg at the 2 from here on out.

Underrated aspect of guard play: the ability to place a lob pass where you (and the receiver) want it.

Look what Kansas is doing with the alley oop and compare that to us. It's an easy way to get high-percentage shots. We're not nearly as good at that this year as we usually are. Many of our finishes (consider South's first-half layup) come as a result of good plays made on imperfect passes.

Heading into the season one could plausibly believe we had the best set of guards in the country. No, one could not.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Thought MCW was very good today. Triche was another story.
Mcw has a future in the nba and triche does not! There is absolutely no excuse for this!,kid is a damn senior and still makes stupid silly turnovers. Some freshman have more poise than triche

I am not a demeanor guy who watches every facial expression , but his reaction to his bad inbounds pass was horrible. I like BT but he has really regressed since I believe the last Louisville game. He has more talent then he is showing

I am not a demeanor guy who watches every facial expression , but his reaction to his bad inbounds pass was horrible. I like BT but he has really regressed since I believe the last Louisville game. He has more talent then he is showing

Same. Usually don't put any stock in the micro-analysis of his demeanor, but this passive-aggressive hand-waving sucks.

If you think Mike should've caught the ball, tell him so. If it's your fault, express that. But he's got to communicate out there. It's his team. He's not helping anybody with this stuff.

Underrated aspect of guard play: the ability to place a lob pass where you (and the receiver) want it.

Look what Kansas is doing with the alley oop and compare that to us. It's an easy way to get high-percentage shots. We're not nearly as good at that this year as we usually are. Many of our finishes (consider South's first-half layup) come as a result of good plays made on imperfect passes.

You have to be kidding on this one. That placement was right where he should have been. If Southie hadn't jumped too early that would have been a huge dunk that brought the house down.

I know I'm a big Triche apologist, but can anyone tell me who played well on both ends of the floor for SU today? Fair had his usual consistent game on offense but he gave up more threes than anyone else on the squad at the other end. And his shot selection kills us if he misses because there's never anyone underneath when he shoots. Grant scored a tip in for the other team again today - really need to tell him to knock the ball away if he doesn't have a chance at it. Southerland was flat out terrible in the first half, and MCW withered in the end as well.

You have to be kidding on this one. That placement was right where he should have been. If Southie hadn't jumped too early that would have been a huge dunk that brought the house down.

I know I'm a big Triche apologist, but can anyone tell me who played well on both ends of the floor for SU today? Fair had his usual consistent game on offense but he gave up more threes than anyone else on the squad at the other end. And his shot selection kills us if he misses because there's never anyone underneath when he shoots. Grant scored a tip in for the other team again today - really need to tell him to knock the ball away if he doesn't have a chance at it. Southerland was flat out terrible in the first half, and MCW withered in the end as well.

Don't agree with that word choice, but I don't think anyone had a great game today. Fair, as always, was the best of the bunch but got caught sleeping on defense too often and hurt himself with his inability to go right.

Not kidding. Alley oop didn't catch Southerland in stride, was left short, and the player made a good adjustment on the ball to lay it in.

Don't agree with that word choice, but I don't think anyone had a great game today. Fair, as always, was the best of the bunch but got caught sleeping on defense too often and hurt himself with his inability to go right.

Not kidding. Alley oop didn't catch Southerland in stride, was left short, and the player made a good adjustment on the ball to lay it in.

You might be right but I can't find it online and Lord knows I don't want to go back and watch the game again to find it. I also don't want to bitch back and forth with you about an assist and made basket. There were so many other terrible things in that game to complain about.

Really? I did like his effort on D, but I thought that his shot selection was terrible.

Which one are you talking about, BT or MCW?

Fair had his usual consistent game on offense but he gave up more threes than anyone else on the squad at the other end. And his shot selection kills us if he misses because there's never anyone underneath when he shoots.

I don't agree with your assessment. Fair is the only and I mean only guy on the team who seems to be able to knock down mid range jump shots consistently. He also happens to be the team's best rebounder. But his shot selection doesn't "kill" us if he misses--that is on the other guys for being subpar rebounders and not getting the job done on the backboards.

If you even attempt to defend Triche today, you should be banned for life from this or any other message board. I have been the biggest Triche fan in the world, but he lost this game today for us. Him and him alone. The kid is getting worse by the day. Its about as painful a thing to watch as I have ever seen.

Please Jimbo... never have Brandon be the inbounder ever again.

You might be right but I can't find it online and Lord knows I don't want to go back and watch the game again to find it. I also don't want to bitch back and forth with you about an assist and made basket. There were so many other terrible things in that game to complain about.

Not worried about it - as you said, it's a make (and was a good look by Triche, regardless of the execution of the pass - we're much better when we look to push in those situations).

If you even attempt to defend Triche today, you should be banned for life from this or any other message board. I have been the biggest Triche fan in the world, but he lost this game today for us. Him and him alone. The kid is getting worse by the day. Its about as painful a thing to watch as I have ever seen.

Please Jimbo... never have Brandon be the inbounder ever again.

Really?

Take a look at the box score and realize there is plenty of blame to go around. He was bad, but he wasn't the only one.

I don't agree with your assessment. Fair is the only and I mean only guy on the team who seems to be able to knock down mid range jump shots consistently. He also happens to be the team's best rebounder. But his shot selection doesn't "kill" us if he misses--that is on the other guys for being subpar rebounders and not getting the job done on the backboards.

Probably a bad word choice. I would love for him to continue to look for other people when he gets the ball once in awhile. He can (not always) be a black hole with the ball when you have open players all around him. Agreed about his rebounding.

Really? I did like his effort on D, but I thought that his shot selection was terrible.
Yea very good was probably a little far. Maybe "not terrible" is better? I liked how he started the game. Also scoring 6 straight to bring us back in the second half. Thought he also handled the pressure much better than the first game.

Yea very good was probably a little far. Maybe "not terrible" is better? I liked how he started the game. Also scoring 6 straight to bring us back in the second half. Thought he also handled the pressure much better than the first game.

No, I think you were closer the first time with "very good" than with "not terrible"...considering the stretch of play MCW had at 47-40 (and the game somewhat "slipping away" after a big Hancock 3) with 2-2 free throws, the drive & layup, defensive rebound, and then 2-2 free throws brought the team back to down by 1 point in the span of a minute and a half.

Oh yeah, and the little fact that our point guard was also (tied with Southerland for) our leading rebounder on the team today with 7 boards. (Think about that, our point guard was our leading rebounder. Thats just wrong, especially considering when our centers play, they bring so little else on offense that they should at least be contributing tons of rebounds.)

All that, along with having a game high 6 assists (would have been more, but we had some really terrible shooting in 1st half), 1 steal, and, oh yeah, 1 turnover. 1 turnover from our point guard, in a game when the team had 16 total, I'd say is also pretty nice.

I think we see the poor shot selection (which I don't disagree with) and that just clouds our judgement on everything else happening in the game.