Gulley | Syracusefan.com

Gulley

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
How different would the season have finished had he been available?

I feel it wouldn't be a whole lot different with him in the line-up...

The big game changer would have been Marcus Sales.

Jerome Smith was playing pretty well and then we didn't see him again... so I guess it wouldn't have mattered if Gulley was in or not b/c he barely would have played.

Think people are undervaluing Gulley.

He had a number of plays run for him in his limited time healthy this year. Different formations where the design of the play was get him the ball in space.

I think he makes a bigger difference then Sales. Bailey just doesn't have the burst to threaten outside as an every down back.

How different would the season have finished had he been available?

I don't think this season would have gone any differently. I'd love for Gulley to prove that wrong and prove a worthy successor to Ant--the jury is till out, and we don't have enough evidence to suggest that he'd be a consistent playmaker / contributor.

After Gulley went out I believe that is when the problems started he and Bailey were a good combination, a more productive offense helps with a struggling defense just my 2 cents

I like Gulley. He's got some fire in him. Something that this team apparently needs.

Could go both ways.

Looking deep into things, I think our running game would be better, we'd free Bailey up to do things like run an occasional wildcat/split out, AAM prob doesn't burn his redshirt, we have a bit of a clearer picture of what next year's rotation would be like, and perhaps we do have a better record because maybe Bailey doesn't have crucial fumbles in our two most horrible losses of the year. That is quite a lot to put on one backup getting injured, but I don't think any of it is unrealistic.

On the other hand.... does having another good running back just make the playcalling even more conservative?

Could go both ways.

Looking deep into things, I think our running game would be better, we'd free Bailey up to do things like run an occasional wildcat/split out, AAM prob doesn't burn his redshirt, we have a bit of a clearer picture of what next year's rotation would be like, and perhaps we do have a better record because maybe Bailey doesn't have crucial fumbles in our two most horrible losses of the year. That is quite a lot to put on one backup getting injured, but I don't think any of it is unrealistic.

On the other hand.... does having another good running back just make the play calling even more conservative?
I think it opens it up. If you remember how Gully was being used, the offense just seemed to be more productive because there was always a fresh speed guy in, no matter who was in you need to defend the run, screen and down field on every play and created better down yardage situations

too bad he suffered that "weightlifting accident" .. we may never see him again, nolan says he has not been around the team... something fishy happened here

No difference - he showed very little. Returning kicks, he ran straight ahead for 20 yards and got tackled. As a back, he did not show anything special.

I would have preferred to see Ameen-Moore play more since they burned his red shirt. He ran over a LB on his first or second carry and then never touched it again in that game. Complete waste of a season although he needs to commit to getting in better shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom