Gut Reactions | Syracusefan.com

Gut Reactions

CU44SE

All Conference
Im sure there are plenty of reactions already out there, but I'm irritated and needed to voice my displeasure somewhere so here it goes...

-Rak was awful, needs to be more assertive. If he played more like Lee did today, he would be almost unstoppable with his physique, but too many times he plays timid. There was one stretch this year that he did, it was a couple of games ago when Jimmy B laid into him during a timeout. He was unstoppable after that.

-Coleman hasn't played as well as we would have liked this year but he needed to get more than 4 minutes. I think this is a game he would have thrived in. I don't care that Rak is from Philadelphia and knows most of the kids on temple, he was not getting it done out there. Coleman is our best rebounder and he is an aggressive player. I think he would have been able to get to a lot of the loose balls.

-We played flat. We went up 10 early, and forced Temple to take a timeout. We needed to keep pushing but right after that we were slow getting up and down the court. It wasnt just one person, almost every player was slow rotating and getting back on defense. They got a couple good looks, and four fast break points to cut the lead to two before Jimmy had to take a timeout.

-Rebounding and not getting to loose balls. We somehow outrebounded them by 3, but only two of there players were taller than 6'6'' (both 6'9'') and one of those (O'Brien) predominately played outside. Half of our team is around 6'9''. They hustled to every ball, they played really hard. They wanted to win more than our guys did.

-Defense. Our defense is not that good this year. In the past 3 years, we have given up 80 points 6 times (all Big East games). Already this year, we have given up 80 points twice, and its not even conference play yet. This is troubling considering that this years OOC schedule is weaker then the last couple years. Our interior defense was abysmal today. We had multiple people jumping on shot fakes, we couldn't stop wyatt's dribble penetration, and even when our guys were there Lee was able to finish around the basket.

-Lastly Free Throw shooting. Some people are complaining about the refs, were there some questionable calls. Of course, I prefer the refs let the kids play a little bit (Wyatt was pushing off with his off hand all day and was only called once). The bottom line though, we got to the free throw line a lot more then they did all day (until the end when we needed to foul) and we didn't capitalize. An 80 percent free throw shooter can't go to the line 15 times and shoot 46%. Unfortunately this has happened to Syracuse way too many times to count.

No doubt this team has a lot of growing to do, and I still think we will be right there battling for a NC at the end of the year. This was a bad loss though, Duke killed them and they just lost to Canisus by double digits. I think that's it from me, let me know what you guys thought...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom