Had to laugh at Sportscenter Headlines | Syracusefan.com

Had to laugh at Sportscenter Headlines

All4SU

Duos Cultores Scientia Coronat et Go Aureum
last night.

UK Rolls Again (Despite playing at home and being only up one on Vandy with 3 mins to play)

OT in Durham (No mention of Duke by name)

Syracuse on the Ropes

I saw that too.
And, even though I try to avoid the "Gottlieb hates us" perspective, he spent the entire analysis of our game talking about how bad we looked that 2nd half.
Only when Ryan Burr pointed out that "they're 29-1, haven't lost w/ Melo in the line-up, & just won the BE outright" did Dougie reluctantly say; "Yes, they've had a great season".
Whatever.

last night.

UK Rolls Again (Despite playing at home and being only up one on Vandy with 3 mins to play)

OT in Durham (No mention of Duke by name)

Syracuse on the Ropes
What's the problem here? The only questionable headline was UK "rolling"

None of this stuff matters anymore now. Think of it this way; we just got a road win vs. a top 25 RPI team. Normally you'd think: YES, nice boost in RPI and seeding. But where are those numbers going to go for us? We're at the top of the mountain already. I will say this - I think we could lose out now and still get a 1 seed, which is always nice to know.

I saw that too.
And, even though I try to avoid the "Gottlieb hates us" perspective, he spent the entire analysis of our game talking about how bad we looked that 2nd half.
Only when Ryan Burr pointed out that "they're 29-1, haven't lost w/ Melo in the line-up, & just won the BE outright" did Dougie reluctantly say; "Yes, they've had a great season".
Whatever.

As usual Gottlieb was right. We've been shaky against questionable teams lately, though all resulted in W's.

I saw that too.
Whatever.

I saw it too -- but I'm not going to give him the satisfaction. His schtick is pure shock-jock, not dispassionate analyst. Bilas would have said, 'they're 29-1 and took the BE title by withstanding a furious UConn rally in a tough road venue (unlike Ky and KU that survived scares at home)'.

Instead, the shock-jock praises Ky for scraping by Vandy at home (without seeing any contradiction) and (with no mention of the fact that SU clinched the BE title) calls the team out for 'struggling' in the second half against a 'Bad' Uconn team (with no regard for how well UConn played in the second half).

Pointing out only negatives when there are so many positives (and such an amazing record) is just not accurate. But ... anything to stir up hits, right?

As usual Gottlieb was right. We've been shaky against questionable teams lately, though all resulted in W's.
It's not that Gottlieb said things that are wrong, it's that it is the ONLY things he says. Nothing about how in the first half SU looked ever bit as good as UK. Or how SU finds a way to win. Or did he mention how UK stuggled AT HOME until the end of the game. He shades his comments to make it look like SU is bad. It takes another commentator to point out that SU is 29-1 for Douggie to say ANYTHING nice.

It's not that Gottlieb said things that are wrong, it's that it is the ONLY things he says. Nothing about how in the first half SU looked ever bit as good as UK. Or how SU finds a way to win. Or did he mention how UK stuggled AT HOME until the end of the game. He shades his comments to make it look like SU is bad. It takes another commentator to point out that SU is 29-1 for Douggie to say ANYTHING nice.

Doug Gottlieb has said plenty positve about Syracuse. When we were crushing Villanova on gameday two years ago he was effusive with his SU praise. The grassy knoll crowd chooses to ignore those times because it clashes with their aganda. His point was that the team has a tendency to lose focus. When they are on, they're final four caliber. I'm paraphrasing his words.

It's not just Uconn; it's a trend. We shouldn't be "finding ways to win" against Rutgers and South Florida.

With that said, coming out of a place we have never won is impressive no matter how it was done. We've done it twice.

it never ends. uk is espns lovechild right now since unc, osu and duke have shown their weaknesses. with that said.. uk showed something i have been waiting for all year yesterday. with a team full of draft prospects , showcasing your talent on offense has to be considered as one of cals selling points. against vandy davis was all about his offense and it showed as while he was still blocking shots.. he was out of position a lot in this game. At some point a team full of nba recruits has to deal with players expectations and the sales pitch slimeball cal offered. i hope to see uk feature davis more as the team and defense approach makes way for 2012 draft showcase. with that said i still want uk in the final if we get there. davis is a beast.

If UK wins it all, ESPN can embrace them. I'm guessing most of the rest of the country outside of Kentucky will probably pinch their noses.

Doug Gottlieb has said plenty positve about Syracuse. When we were crushing Villanova on gameday two years ago he was effusive with his SU praise. The grassy knoll crowd chooses to ignore those times because it clashes with their aganda. His point was that the team has a tendency to lose focus. When they are on, they're final four caliber. I'm paraphrasing his words.

It's not just Uconn; it's a trend. We shouldn't be "finding ways to win" against Rutgers and South Florida.

With that said, coming out of a place we have never won is impressive no matter how it was done. We've done it twice.

Its a matter of what you want to focus on. One man's "gutty win", is another man's "struggling offense".
Obviously we've shown a tendency to lose focus in games, but is that the ONLY thing we've done in these close games?
We listened for weeks on-end why Ohio State deserved the benefit of the doubt for their shaky play... it was due to Sully's injury, you see. Only when they started losing games did you hear genuine criticism.
We WIN our games...ugly, yes...but we still win, and all the focus is on how BAD we look doing it?
I'd rather be an optimist who ends up being proved wrong, then a pessimist who sits back & says; "I told you so".
Pessimism sucks...period.

with that said i still want uk in the final if we get there. davis is a beast.

And if Kentucky gets there.

Its a matter of what you want to focus on. One man's "gutty win", is another man's "struggling offense".
Obviously we've shown a tendency to lose focus in games, but is that the ONLY thing we've done in these close games?
We listened for weeks on-end why Ohio State deserved the benefit of the doubt for their shaky play... it was due to Sully's injury, you see. Only when they started losing games did you hear genuine criticism.
We WIN our games...ugly, yes...but we still win, and all the focus is on how BAD we look doing it?
I'd rather be an optimist who ends up being proved wrong, then a pessimist who sits back & says; "I told you so".
Pessimism sucks...period.

I'm fine with fans taking a 'glass half empty'/'glass half full' outlook. I'm not fine with supposed analysts ignoring almost all the positives evident from a title-taking conference road win over a talented (but underperforming) rival. The difference is .. if Gotlieb's an analyst, he should be balanced and accurate in his remarks (like Bilas). If he's a shock-jock, then the lame half-empty schtick makes sense -- anything for a controversy and more hits.

On a somewhat related topic, I got a big kick out of Hubert Davis last night and his big switch going from his earlier "no dude" to "they have dudes!!". It was almost embarrassing his praise for the Cuse during the 1st half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom