Hafley leaving BC for NFL | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Hafley leaving BC for NFL

This guy will be gone in less than two years. He will either jump back into the Pros or jump programs once he experiences the differences between Pro Ball and Penn State verse BC. And yes Penn State can burn in hell, I am just talking budgets, full stadiums, etc.

Maybe, guy has a family issue that could keep him grounded. Probably smart enough to take BC's money and ride it out at his age.

Maybe, guy has a family issue that could keep him grounded. Probably smart enough to take BC's money and ride it out at his age.
Yeah I had read that. If his family has connected with a physician and practice and school that is really meeting his childs needs and the family needs then that definitely would change the calculus without question.

Yeah I had read that. If his family has connected with a physician and practice and school that is really meeting his childs needs and the family needs then that definitely would change the calculus without question.
Per Wikipedia:
O'Brien and his wife, Colleen, have two sons, Jack and Michael. Jack, the elder son, has a rare brain disorder called lissencephaly.

Lissencephaly (/ˌlɪs.ɛnˈsɛf.əl.i/, meaning 'smooth brain')[1] is a set of rare brain disorders whereby the whole or parts of the surface of the brain appear smooth.[2] It is caused by defective neuronal migration during the 12th to 24th weeks of gestation resulting in a lack of development of brain folds (gyri) and grooves (sulci).[3] It is a form of cephalic disorder. Terms such as agyria (no gyri) and pachygyria (broad gyri) are used to describe the appearance of the surface of the brain.

Affected children display severe psychomotor impairment, failure to thrive, seizures, and muscle spasticity or hypotonia.[4] Other symptoms of the disorder may include unusual facial appearance, difficulty swallowing, and anomalies of the hands, fingers, or toes.

If it did not, there would be something bad wrong with him.

If it’s BOB and Marrone, couldn't get two more contrasting restarts in this new environment.

So they hired Will Lawing (former Pats TE coach) as OC and Tim Lewis (yes that Tim Lewis from ‘05) as DC.

Lawing- most recently with Pats last year as TE coach and was an analyst at Alabama the year before with BOB. He has one other year as a GA in college at Penn st in 2013 and then left for the Texans with O’Brien. Lawing has never been a position coach in college and has never been a coordinator at any level. Looks like a shaky hire on paper but I guess they at least have O’Brien to call plays and run an offense if needed. Otherwise this screams Brian Pariani all over.

Not to be outdone by:

Lewis- 62 years old. Spent the last 8 years bouncing between USFL, UFL, and AFA (most recently the Arlington Renegades Co-DC. His last big job was secondary coach of 49ers in 2015. His largest roles were Steelers and Giants DC in early 2000’s. After leaving the Giants he was a finalist for our head coaching position that ultimately went to Greg Robinson. His last college experience was in ‘93-94 year at Pitt. There is really no way even the Eagles fans can spin this one after thinking they would get some bigtime DC. Now they are pretty much just saying they had no other options because of the timing so grabbed Lewis as 1 year stop gap.

Hope their position coaches can recruit because they appear to be taking an interesting approach. Maybe O’Brien emptied the bank and they had nothing left…

imo that’s a great hire for BC. He brings name value, high level experience in both college and the pro’s and a solid X’s and O’s guy. I wished Hafley had stayed. I do see BOB jumping at the first chance he gets, but certainly one of the better, proven HC’s in the ACC.

imo that’s a great hire for BC. He brings name value, high level experience in both college and the pro’s and a solid X’s and O’s guy. I wished Hafley had stayed. I do see BOB jumping at the first chance he gets, but certainly one of the better, proven HC’s in the ACC.

Chip Kelly has a name; he couldn’t flee UCLA fast enough since they didn’t prioritize NIL. I don’t doubt BOB can be successful - how successful is going to be dictated more by how successful he is as getting boosters to open their wallets than by his Xs and Os skills. He’ll be as successful as boosters are willing to pay (via NIL) him to be.

Chip Kelly has a name; he couldn’t flee UCLA fast enough since they didn’t prioritize NIL. I don’t doubt BOB can be successful - how successful is going to be dictated more by how successful he is as getting boosters to open their wallets than by his Xs and Os skills. He’ll be as successful as boosters are willing to pay (via NIL) him to be.
Given his resume and last name, I imagine BoB will generate a meaningful fundraising bump his first year. After that it'll be about people's perception of progress -- which is likely to be the case at SU as well.

Given his resume and last name, I imagine BoB will generate a meaningful fundraising bump his first year. After that it'll be about people's perception of progress -- which is likely to be the case at SU as well.

people are paying attn to the fact BC finally went and hired a name brand person. The last time they did this was Mike Milbury in hockey and he lasted a month.

This is out of character for them. I think it'll be a massive contrast in styles how SU and BC fare next few years.

people are paying attn to the fact BC finally went and hired a name brand person. The last time they did this was Mike Milbury in hockey and he lasted a month.

This is out of character for them. I think it'll be a massive contrast in styles how SU and BC fare next few years.
Yep, we’ll see. Honestly I couldn’t have been less impressed with the job O’Brien did with the Pats this past season. So for BC’s sake they better be getting a past incarnation of the guy.

Yep, we’ll see. Honestly I couldn’t have been less impressed with the job O’Brien did with the Pats this past season. So for BC’s sake they better be getting a past incarnation of the guy.
BC overpaid and will not be happy with the results.

I wouldn't personally hold the dumpster fire that Belichick created for this year on Billy O'Brien. I'd look at what he did at Penn St vs the NFL experience. I mean if we go on that metric, we would be laughing at USC hiring Pete Carroll after detonating the NE Patriots in 4 quick years. Some guys are college and some are NFL. Some can be both too as Carroll has evolved to some extent.

I think O'Brien is trying to build a Doug Marrone like operation with the Eagles. All the same catch phrases. He will have better luck b/c BC has better luck landing the bigger OL fish out the prep schools and catholic network.

I still think the Fran model is better for SU and I think this model is better for BC. Fran can get guys into Syracuse that Billy O'Brien won't get into BC. It's a contrast in styles and i'm curious who wins out. My bet is Syracuse because I think talent is higher in CNY for once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom