Hammer | Syracusefan.com

Hammer

iommi

Living Legend
Through the past few years I've watched a lot of youtubes of Chris McCullough. He has a ton of dazzling highlites, in which he defies gravity and soars over the rim for powerful slams. So far this year, we've seen none of that. He seems to play almost politely on offense, preferring to go for easy lay-ins and soft tosses at the rim. I'm not worried about this but it's been kind of disappointing. He needs to attack the rim and finish strong.

In the words of Bill Walton, "throw it down, big fella-- throw it down!" I'm not sure if his nickname is actually "Hammer" or if it's a moniker tee gave him, but he hasn't lived up to that name yet. I want some monster dunks, pronto.

Even Kaleb told him at the end of the first half to slam it home. Lost a chance at a three-point play by being a little too cute with the ball.

I've noticed this too. I hope it's just because the competition hasn't been great. Maybe he'll turn it up against better teams.

Speaking of hammer..Kennesaw got hammered (or nailed) tonight by California 93-59

Its a little harder to do that against D1 bodies. I saw a high school highlight of Devendorf where he throws the ball off the backboard from nearly the foul line and the dunks it..in a game.

This is one of those funny things - if he were missing dunks, people would say he should go for the lay up. Since he's missing lay ups, people say he should dunk.

I'm as big a fan of monster dunks as anyone. I'm guessing they'll come for him.

Its a little harder to do that against D1 bodies. I saw a high school highlight of Devendorf where he throws the ball off the backboard from nearly the foul line and the dunks it..in a game.

Didn't Paul Harris do that in a Big East game at one point? I recall him grabbing popcorn from a fan and eating it in that same game. (May have been an NIT game now that I think of it)

Didn't Paul Harris do that in a Big East game at one point? I recall him grabbing popcorn from a fan and eating it in that same game. (May have been an NIT game now that I think of it)

Rutgers, but I think he just lobbed it to himself without use of the backboard.

He looked to be having some fun that night. Last Dome game for him.

Yes, he seems to lack strength in the lower arms and hands. Kind of like a t-rex. Now, we know darn well that his arms and hands are superb, so what is holding him back god only knows.

During the last game, I began to remember all of Hakim's dunks and how they electrified the Dome. We've had some great dunkers and it gets everyone juiced up. So, let's go, guys!

upload_2014-11-17_15-40-25.jpeg

Last edited:

I remember seeing Lazarus Sims doing the same thing. I wish we could see a bit more of that in the college game. :)

Rutgers, but I think he just lobbed it to himself without use of the backboard.

He looked to be having some fun that night. Last Dome game for him.
No. Flynn threw it against the backboard knowing that Paul would clean it up with a dunk, which he did. Coach was not amused.
Chauncey Billups had a policy of never dunking. Considered it an unnecessary expenditure of energy.

I did it once on a final nail in the coffin breakaway dunk to win the Southwood boys National Nerf Championship game. I actually dunked it so hard I ripped the duct taped nerf rim off my parents wall and a chunk of sheet rock with it #nerflegend

Last edited:
"Chauncey Billups had a policy of never dunking. Considered it an unnecessary expenditure of energy."

thus borne the phrase "kiss my chauncey" . or so legend goes.

I got the feeling he made a pact not to dunk to a few games into the season. ALthough he screwed up once by accident.

I've been most frustrated when he's been on the offensive boards or gets the ball low. I think he starts too far under the rim. I don't know whether the other team is pushing him under or he just doesn't have the footwork down yet.