Hand on stick head/“thumbing” | Syracusefan.com

Hand on stick head/“thumbing”

W'boro'Cuse315

All American
A couple photos from @CuseMLAX Twitter are showing Seebold touching his stick head while cradling, dangerously close to “thumbing” the ball, which is a violation. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to deliberately touch the head of your stick with any part of your body while in possession of the ball. I believe it’s withholding. It’s something that he & the team should be aware of because reading some comments/posts, Lacrosse Twitter is starting to take notice. “Zed Seebold” is a reference to Zed Williams, who’s caused a bit of controversy by being accused of “thumbing” the ball in the PLL.

Last edited:
BE7A4190-7988-447B-81AF-C64C3A3D654C.jpeg

1A76DDC0-A980-43C9-A22B-0B4984554ACB.jpeg

Whelp. Add it to the long long list of concerns. I have played a whole bunch but never has it even occurred to me to attempt it. Played with a higher pocket anyways so it would not accomplish much. In the end I think the odds that it actually helps you ever are slim. If you’re really in a jam the ball is gonna find a way out. If you are just in a normal 1v1 dodge you still have to get separation. Seebold had a great day off the dodge in the first half and I never saw a situation where a thumb on the ball would make a difference either way.

Lax twitters never ending devotion to hating on cuse is just funny at this point. Some people are so hardcore in their hatred that you just have to laugh. Like you really care that much? I’m sure this is just the beginning of another talking point. Drop the thumb Owen it’s probably not going to help you much anyways. Oh yeah and it is a penalty if caught.

A couple photos from @CuseMLAX Twitter are showing Seebold touching his stick head while cradling, dangerously close to “thumbing” the ball, which is a violation. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to deliberately touch the head of your stick with any part of your body while in possession of the ball. I believe it’s withholding. It’s something that he & the team should be aware of because reading some comments/posts, Lacrosse Twitter is starting to take notice. “Zed Seebold” is a reference to Zed Williams, who’s caused a bit of controversy by being accused of “thumbing” the ball in the PLL.
There's no two ways about those pics - that's the textbook definition of thumbing...

"The gloved hand cannot grasp any portion of the head of the crosse"

Surprised he wasn't called (or at least warned) about that.

How the hell does anyone need to "thumb" their stick with today's stick technology (pinched heads, fishing net mesh, etc.)

C'mon, man!

There's no two ways about those pics - that's the textbook definition of thumbing...

"The gloved hand cannot grasp any portion of the head of the crosse"

Surprised he wasn't called (or at least warned) about that.

How the hell does anyone need to "thumb" their stick with today's stick technology (pinched heads, fishing net mesh, etc.)

C'mon, man!
It’s hard to see at high speed. I ref youth games. It’s hard to see and be certain of even at the U15 level.

Whelp. Add it to the long long list of concerns. I have played a whole bunch but never has it even occurred to me to attempt it. Played with a higher pocket anyways so it would not accomplish much. In the end I think the odds that it actually helps you ever are slim. If you’re really in a jam the ball is gonna find a way out. If you are just in a normal 1v1 dodge you still have to get separation. Seebold had a great day off the dodge in the first half and I never saw a situation where a thumb on the ball would make a difference either way.

Lax twitters never ending devotion to hating on cuse is just funny at this point. Some people are so hardcore in their hatred that you just have to laugh. Like you really care that much? I’m sure this is just the beginning of another talking point. Drop the thumb Owen it’s probably not going to help you much anyways. Oh yeah and it is a penalty if caught.
Yet , here we are as Cuse fans alerting many to our detriment instead of shutting the fock up and leaving it to the three readers of some bs twitter account. Priceless.

These photos were posted on SU’s official Lax twitter account.
and????????????????? Did it start a discussion thread about it? What

Hey JC and Powell, dm me and I'll tell you about a few more observations that can work agaisnt Cuse .

It’s hard to see at high speed. I ref youth games. It’s hard to see and be certain of even at the U15 level.
I also ref youth games (1st - 6th grade, relatively low stress) and I get what you're saying about too fast to adjudicate.

In general, I'd like to see stuff that could reduce the offensive player's advantage (like this) as a point of emphasis.

I'm not a fan of how stick technology has removed a big chunk of the skill that used to be part of an exceptional offensive player's game. Too much bigger, faster, stronger in today's game.

I don't think the game would need a shot clock if it were easier to put the ball on the carpet; like it was in the '90s/'00s.

(end rant insert "get off my lawn" gif here)

I often wonder what tennis would look like with wooden rackets or lax with wooden sticks

While illegal, there is a difference between "glove on head" and "thumbing the ball." For those of you that have ref-ed, I like know how many of the "glove on head" have you called. I've been a ref at the scholastic level and I've never called any. The game moves so fast with so many other things happening on the field. But I wear glasses ... so that may explain it.

While illegal, there is a difference between "glove on head" and "thumbing the ball." For those of you that have ref-ed, I like know how many of the "glove on head" have you called. I've been a ref at the scholastic level and I've never called any. The game moves so fast with so many other things happening on the field. But I wear glasses ... so that may explain it.

I haven’t awarded possession to the other team (because I ref 1st through 6th graders in local house leagues) but I have warned two players who were egregious mostly because they were new to the sport and didn’t know the rule.

Only other thing I’ve done is spoken to coaches if a player is a repeat offender. More to teach, not punish/enforce.

As NazLax said above, harder to assess at older skill levels but I can still keep up enough with 11 and under boys.

I’m also an old defenseman looking to call any cheating tactics used by grubby little attackmen.

at least YOU wear them. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom