Happy Mothers Day to all of our syracusefan.com moms! | Syracusefan.com

Happy Mothers Day to all of our syracusefan.com moms!

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
This is the one day where all of us sons & daughters show you how much we love, respect and appreciate all you have done for us over the years. My mom passed away in 1999 and a part of my life was over. Mary, because of circumstances beyond her control had to raise me on her own. One of my most vivid memories of her was a scene at the dinner table. There was a small piece of steak for the two of us. After a hard day at work I knew she was just as hungry as I was. She insisted that I eat it all and nothing I would say could sway her from that decision. After all, she said, your a growing boy and need good meals to stay strong. Mary's love was always unconditional. She was a woman of deep faith who gave of herself to the less fortunate. So today I give pause to thank an incredibly strong woman who guided my life.

Please feel free to share a thought or two about your mom on this day.

If I could LIKE this 1000 times I would. Very poignant and touching example of a mother's love. Not all are so fortunate. But for those of us who are, there is not enough love in the world to say thank you. But that shouldn't stop us from making our best effort.

I am fortunate enough to have re-forged a great relationship with my mom after years of neglect as I was doing my own thing. Then something clicked and I started to call her more often. At first it felt a little bit forced. But as we started to open up and share, it became much more natural and I now call her at the drop of a hat sometimes multiple times a week as I would call a good friend. It is wonderful indeed. Happy Mother's Day mom and thank you!

Thank you, Orange Yes! (Can't get used to that. Always thought you had beautiful orange eyes.) By my count there may be 4-5 mothers who post on this board; perhaps others lurk. Ah, how many of us as teens had lurking mothers? I personally grew eyes in the back of my head when I had children. I thought it was a myth, but turns out...

I have worked with and known many people whose relationships with their mothers were fragile or downright bad. I have had the honor to witness and assist the efforts of some of those people to repair those relationships. The results varied, but love and gratitude and a sense of peace were always the reward. It hurts my heart to say that some mothers were unreachable.

It took decades for me to appreciate that my "sunny disposition" and confidence that I was likable were not traits that I cultivated through hard effort, but the result of the simple fact that my mother loved me. I was 59 when she died 4 years ago. so I had six decades of unwavering love. During the last 16 months of her life, when she was terminal with congestive heart failure, I flew to Wisconsin for a week every month to help out and be with her. During basketball season, I never missed a game because I carefully planned my visits around our home schedule. When I "confessed" my scheme to mom, she didn't bat an eye. "Of COURSE you have to see those games!" she said. We watched our away games together, and mom always thought our team (Jonny Flynn, etc.) looked so "spiffy" with our orange uniforms and headbands. I found out the morning after our 6 OT game that mom and her caregiver Toni watched the whole thing, despite the fact that she wasn't feeling particularly well. She told me she hadn't had so much fun in ages, and was very grateful that "my heart didn't give out then and there, because a few times I thought it would!"

I was a lucky ducky to have such a mom! Happy Mother's Day, mom! See you in my dreams.

My mom is 91, had 6 kids, was married for 63 years, loved to paint, make cookies and other tasty things, and traveling. My parents weren't wealthy and my dad was a minister so didn't have a large income, yet they loved to drive all over the country and see its wonders. She loved family gatherings, actually gatherings of any kind, and was always plotting the next get-together of "the family". She's outlived all but three of her children and everyone else she hosted at her parties. However, she's been talking of all of them for the last year as though they are still alive and I think that's a wonderful blessing. She sees and talks to them and I'm somewhat jealous of that affliction.

Mom is still hanging on and in a nursing home. It's such a sad swan song for a full life. My dad died 9 years ago and mom couldn't live by herself so I moved her to be with me. We spent over 8 years together and I found a way to work at home so I could care for her as long as I could. I was hoping her health would remain stable enough so that she could die at home when the moment came. Sadly, something happened to her last July when we had a violent storm, though no one knows exactly what. The medical folks say there was no stroke, no heart issue, or any major physical change, but she went in the hospital and has never been able to return home. She can't stand or do anything she could prior to that day other than talk of "the family", smile at photos, talk to family long gone, and cry because she can't go home. I've been honored to care for her as a way to repay my parents for providing me with a good start in life. I'm grateful for that opportunity.

thumbs-up.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom