Hard to not be excited about... | Syracusefan.com

Hard to not be excited about...

Scooch

Living Legend
...where this offense is going to be in a couple of seasons.

All of five games into the biggest offensive system overhaul in school history and we're 24th in yards per game, 52nd in offensive efficiency, 67th in points per game and 75th in yards per play.

Compare that to last year when we were 119th, 64th, 77th and 99th respectively in those categories. And that was over the entire season. We've already played 2 of the 4 toughest opponents we'll see this year, so the likelihood of improving our metrics is extremely high.

As the talent improves, the players get more comfortable in the system, and the coaches learn strengths and weaknesses, this O is going to be a machine.

Obviously the D is at a low point. It'll improve, it has to. As will specials. Last year Bowling Green was 46th in defensive yards per play. We get to that level, or even somewhat below that honestly, and we'll be winning a helluva lot more than we lose.

...where this offense is going to be in a couple of seasons.

All of five games into the biggest offensive system overhaul in school history and we're 24th in yards per game, 52nd in offensive efficiency, 67th in points per game and 75th in yards per play.

Compare that to last year when we were 119th, 64th, 77th and 99th respectively in those categories. And that was over the entire season. We've already played 2 of the 4 toughest opponents we'll see this year, so the likelihood of improving our metrics is extremely high.

As the talent improves, the players get more comfortable in the system, and the coaches learn strengths and weaknesses, this O is going to be a machine.

Obviously the D is at a low point. It'll improve, it has to. As will specials. Last year Bowling Green was 46th in defensive yards per play. We get to that level, or even somewhat below that honestly, and we'll be winning a helluva lot more than we lose.

Yep

If the offense can close on a couple of more opportunities a game and the defense cuts the home run plays in half that is going to happen sooner rather than later.

i think dungey needs to throw more interceptions in a weird way. they need to start chucking it to etta tawo even more. they can't sustain drives with this running game. i get that they're trying to build for the future and I know it will work. but in the more competitive games left on the schedule, i want to see them take the easy way out this year

i think dungey needs to throw more interceptions in a weird way. they need to start chucking it to etta tawo even more. they can't sustain drives with this running game. i get that they're trying to build for the future and I know it will work. but in the more competitive games left on the schedule, i want to see them take the easy way out this year

Why wouldn't the easy way out be taken all the time? Passing to our weapons is better than running the ball up the gut with a mediocre OL and a RB who isn't a RB.

I get not throwing it if the safety stays back deep enough, because he'll just jump in front before ET can even fight for it. He's watching the ball the whole time. But yeah, maybe on 3rd and long, better to just take that chance than all the slip screens in a traffic jam. If it's an INT, so be it, it's like punting but with a chance at actually converting.

Need that 2nd deep threat so the safety has to make choices. If both safeties stay back, you crush them with the slot guys.

I'm amazed that only 10 spots separate our PPG compared to last year. I expect that to increase.

People always talk about Shafer and his defense but I think our offense was the better side of the ball last year. They were also limited by conservative play calling. I look at it this way-- with all players equal, I don't think the "improvement" gap between a Shafer-led defense and our current defense is nearly enough to offset the downgrade in (soon to be) offensive output.

Tawo should get 25 targets a game.

Anyone with a brain who looks at this team this year and last year and doesn't realize our offense is better just can't accept reality.
Now obviously our defense has been bad but that isn't a shocker when we have played a harder schedule and we are playing a scheme these kids don't get it. The problem has been quick strikes. If we could just stop giving up 50+ yard plus TDs we would be better as a D. Last game the D settled down in the 2nd quarter. We are getting some stops it is just the first quarter D has been awful against Louisville and Notre Dame.

Our running game needs to help the offense but the passing game is just video game esque.

Why wouldn't the easy way out be taken all the time? Passing to our weapons is better than running the ball up the gut with a mediocre OL and a RB who isn't a RB.
they're trying to build for next year and I don't blame them.

I'm amazed that only 10 spots separate our PPG compared to last year. I expect that to increase.

People always talk about Shafer and his defense but I think our offense was the better side of the ball last year. They were also limited by conservative play calling. I look at it this way-- with all players equal, I don't think the "improvement" gap between a Shafer-led defense and our current defense is nearly enough to offset the downgrade in (soon to be) offensive output.

That ranking differential may be due to schedule. Last year the O really collapsed down the stretch from a points per game perspective. Understandable given the injuries. We were averaging 32.2 PPG in the first 6 games, buoyed by the 47 we hung on URI and the 38 we got in the 3 OT game vs. UVA. Last 6 games of the year we averaged 22.3 PPG. Granted we still have FSU and Clemson left to play this year, but we should be able to put up 35+ on most of our remaining opponents as long as Dungey stays healthy. So I'd expect us to end up in the 50s in PPG overall if we stay on our current trajectory.

Anyone with a brain who looks at this team this year and last year and doesn't realize our offense is better just can't accept reality.
Now obviously our defense has been bad but that isn't a shocker when we have played a harder schedule and we are playing a scheme these kids don't get it. The problem has been quick strikes. If we could just stop giving up 50+ yard plus TDs we would be better as a D. Last game the D settled down in the 2nd quarter. We are getting some stops it is just the first quarter D has been awful against Louisville and Notre Dame.

Our running game needs to help the offense but the passing game is just video game esque.

I think it is better but one could argue it isn't. Where would we be without ET? He has been the majority of our O. We are certainly worse at running the ball. Last season Dungey was a true frosh and only played in half the games due to injury. So we should be better at passing the ball despite system.

they're trying to build for next year and I don't blame them.

I don't either - just not sure if Strickland is ever going to be the guy to help this offense take a big step. Don't see the vision or ability to get the extra yards.

That ranking differential may be due to schedule. Last year the O really collapsed down the stretch from a points per game perspective. Understandable given the injuries. We were averaging 32.2 PPG in the first 6 games, buoyed by the 47 we hung on URI and the 38 we got in the 3 OT game vs. UVA. Last 6 games of the year we averaged 22.3 PPG. Granted we still have FSU and Clemson left to play this year, but we should be able to put up 35+ on most of our remaining opponents as long as Dungey stays healthy. So I'd expect us to end up in the 50s in PPG overall if we stay on our current trajectory.

We may not get 35 in any of our remaining games.

All under 22 ppg
Clemson 13th nationally
BC 16th
VA Tech 25th
Wake 29th
NC State 37th

Over 31 ppg
Pitt 90th
FSU 105th

Teams we have played already
Louisville, UConn, USF tied at 58th
ND 100th

Just going on PPG we likely will go down. I think we can get 35+ against NC State and Pitt but that is it.

I think it is better but one could argue it isn't. Where would we be without ET? He has been the majority of our O. We are certainly worse at running the ball. Last season Dungey was a true frosh and only played in half the games due to injury. So we should be better at passing the ball despite system.
Our running game was a modified triple option attack. That helped the running game as it got the ball in space. This year are seeing less running on the perimeter as we throwing there and the running game is between the tackles.

This offense is better. AET is getting 1 TD a game. That is helping for sure but the offense has moved the ball easily we just stall in the 2nd and 3rd Qs.

All under 22 ppg
Clemson 13th nationally
BC 16th
VA Tech 25th
Wake 29th
NC State 37th

Over 31 ppg
Pitt 90th
FSU 105th

ND 100th

Just going on PPG we likely will go down. I think we can get 35+ against NC State and Pitt but that is it.

Well they haven't played us yet, we'll make those rankings drop. :)

Once we fix the run game (and we will), get the 2nd WR that can be a threat deep, and just keep getting the tempo down (no more illegal shifts) this thing takes off into the stratosphere.

The biggest piece is the QB, and we've got that one backlogged.

All under 22 ppg
Clemson 13th nationally
BC 16th
VA Tech 25th
Wake 29th
NC State 37th

Over 31 ppg
Pitt 90th
FSU 105th

ND 100th

If we don't turn the ball over we can get over 30 PPG on BC, Wake, NC State, and Pitt.

I don't care how good their D is if we throw the ball we will move it on all of these teams. Limiting turnovers will be huge in these games.

If we don't turn the ball over we can get over 30 PPG on BC, Wake, NC State, and Pitt.

I don't care how good their D is if we throw the ball we will move it on all of these teams. Limiting turnovers will be huge in these games.

We scored 20 and 24 on USF and UConn which is below both of their season averages. Expecting to score over 30 against teams that give up 17, 19, and 21 ppg this year isn't realistic.

Once we fix the run game (and we will), get the 2nd WR that can be a threat deep, and just keep getting the tempo down (no more illegal shifts) this thing takes off into the stratosphere.

The biggest piece is the QB, and we've got that one backlogged.
Before the season, I thought our D was going to be the problem. Check. And I figured our power running game would be weak. Check. Our passing game is better than I expected. But with such a weak D we're unlikely to compete against anyone in-conference.

So are you thinking we'll improve this year, or with better personnel next recruiting cycle? And for the record, I like our system .. it's just that the personnel needs upgrading (nothing new there).

We scored 20 and 24 on USF and UConn which is below both of their season averages. Expecting to score over 30 against teams that give up 17, 19, and 21 ppg this year isn't realistic.
We missed 2 FGs against UConn and when we needed a score to put the game away we did. UConn didn't stop us we stopped ourselves.

USF is better than BC/Wake and is on par with NC State/Pitt I expect the offense will get better with more reps. We can score 30 points on these teams. No defense has shut us down yardage wise. We battled horrible field position against USF all game long and we have moved the ball every game. We just suck in the 2nd half because we can't run the ball teams are dropping 7-8 into coverage because we have no ground threat and that is killing the slot to Erv and Ishmael stuff.

All under 22 ppg
Clemson 13th nationally
BC 16th
VA Tech 25th
Wake 29th
NC State 37th

Over 31 ppg
Pitt 90th
FSU 105th

ND 100th

I don't buy these at all.

BC has played no one with a good offense outside of VaTech (#73 O S&P+, #16 passing) to whom they gave up 49.
NC State has played no one with a good offense outside of ECU (#61 O S&P+, #9 passing) to whom they gave up 445 yds and 33 points.
Wake has played two good passing attacks the last two weeks (NC State #14 O S&P+, #30 passing to whom they gave up 500 yds and 33 points) AND (Indiana #48 O S&P+, #8 passing to whom they gave up 600 yds and 28 points)

Clemson is legit, of course.

ET is on the team, isn't he? Seems kind of pointless to make a comparison vs last year without our top player. It's kind of like the people that like to tell me we never would have won the 2003 NC without Melo.

ET is on the team, isn't he? Seems kind of pointless to make a comparison vs last year without our top player. It's kind of like the people that like to tell me we never would have won the 2003 NC without Melo.

Um the point is this year we are working with better talent. We should be significantly better on O when you add in a healthy Soph Dungey and an NFL draft pick WR. Yet we aren't. You aren't comparing apples to apples 2015 vs 2016.

For me it was very clear that last year's offense was much better than last years's defense.

Given how little time he had, Lester did a good job - and brought a great QB to the Program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom