Hardwood Club dinner tonight | Syracusefan.com

Hardwood Club dinner tonight

This was a great event. Insights about this year and going forward.

Inquiring minds and all... (please share if you are comfortable in doing so). At any rate it sounds like a solid event, and i'd love to attend one at some point.

I’ve been to many. It is fantastic. Would love to hear tidbits on this evening.

This was a great event. Insights about this year and going forward. Very emotional at times.

Nearly 800 folks there. The only forum members I saw there were Headmaster and Obie.

it is really worth attending.
:)
May I please have a tomcat write up? How was the ginger ale this year?

Agreed...we have attended this event for so many years I can’t remember a time when we haven’t...highlights of the program:

GMac’s speech was emotional as he paid tribute to his family- the values, love and support from his parents, siblings, in-laws and of course his wife and children. Spoke of his bond with the coaches, especially Jim. He paid respect to the Syracuse community and then turned it around to honor the team, especially the seniors. He told great stories, what he will remember most about Pascal and Frank. Then did a great pump up for post season by making comparisons of other seasons similar to this...
Jim joked that he did his speech when he took over to speak about the team. Jim spoke of each player and all that each brings to the team. He gave his normal quirky quips and jokes, but more subdued than some years. He spoke of his respect for Howard Washington and all he has gone through, honored Marek with the Baye Mousa Keita award. He presented Tyus with a 1,000 + points ball giving him the chance to be recognized/speak... first time I’ve seen that happen when a player is leaving early- very nice touch. His comments on The senior walk on players were very nice and funny stories on Adrien... nothing but positive things to say with a lot of emphasis on the adversity that both Frank and Pascal have faced, all that they have done for the team, and what they can do in post season. The end of Jim’s speech was emotional as he spoke support received from family, the university and community when you go through something unforeseen that you can’t imagine without speaking directly about the accident. The continuing struggle to process that tragedy is evident.

The program was a great send off to the seniors and Tyus and a show of support for the team as the prepare for the next phase of the season.

Food is typical banquet food- don’t go looking for a gourmet dinner. Silent auction to raise $$ for the Conrad McCrae scholarship fund. Autograph line with players for posters ( no personal items). Plenty of opportunities for pictures with players after the program.

Agreed...we have attended this event for so many years I can’t remember a time when we haven’t...highlights of the program:

GMac’s speech was emotional as he paid tribute to his family- the values, love and support from his parents, siblings, in-laws and of course his wife and children. Spoke of his bond with the coaches, especially Jim. He paid respect to the Syracuse community and then turned it around to honor the team, especially the seniors. He told great stories, what he will remember most about Pascal and Frank. Then did a great pump up for post season by making comparisons of other seasons similar to this...
Jim joked that he did his speech when he took over to speak about the team. Jim spoke of each player and all that each brings to the team. He gave his normal quirky quips and jokes, but more subdued than some years. He spoke of his respect for Howard Washington and all he has gone through, honored Marek with the Baye Mousa Keita award. He presented Tyus with a 1,000 + points ball giving him the chance to be recognized/speak... first time I’ve seen that happen when a player is leaving early- very nice touch. His comments on The senior walk on players were very nice and funny stories on Adrien... nothing but positive things to say with a lot of emphasis on the adversity that both Frank and Pascal have faced, all that they have done for the team, and what they can do in post season. The end of Jim’s speech was emotional as he spoke support received from family, the university and community when you go through something unforeseen that you can’t imagine without speaking directly about the accident. The continuing struggle to process that tragedy is evident.

The program was a great send off to the seniors and Tyus and a show of support for the team as the prepare for the next phase of the season.

Food is typical banquet food- don’t go looking for a gourmet dinner. Silent auction to raise $$ for the Conrad McCrae scholarship fund. Autograph line with players for posters ( no personal items). Plenty of opportunities for pictures with players after the program.
Thank you for making the effort to write this up. It sounded very affirming for our players. But there was an underlay of sadness about the tragedy that couldn’t be avoided. I like hearing all the positives from GMac and Coach about our players. I hope they take it to heart.

This is the most poignant part of the year for me. I hope we can continue to see this team play several more games. Let’s go, Orange!

Thanks for the great recap!

Thanks, Headmaster ... you gave a perfect summary here. Sorry I did not have time to write something, but I got to the hotel late last night ... and had to leave very early this morning for CT where I had a very busy day. In any event, Headmaster did a better job than I could have done.

Thanks, Headmaster ... you gave a perfect summary here. Sorry I did not have time to write something, but I got to the hotel late last night ... and had to leave very early this morning for CT where I had a very busy day. In any event, Headmaster did a better job than I could have done.
Sounds like a great time. Is reading into the emotion of Gmacs speech worth it?! Something happen?

I think the speech was just typical Gerry -- nothing more, nothing less. He is very emotional. And, since his days as a player, he has become a very good speaker.
Ok good. Was worried something was up that I missed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom