Has anyone done a breakdown of wins over top 25 teams? | Syracusefan.com

Has anyone done a breakdown of wins over top 25 teams?

dinno28

Scout Team
We always hear about how many of JAB's wins were against cupcakes ,,, but has anyone ever done a breakdown of how many wins were over top 25 teams... I would guess it's a respectible number considering the number of quality teams SU has faced over the years in the Big East and tournaments...

We always hear about how many of JAB's wins were against cupcakes ,,, but has anyone ever done a breakdown of how many wins were over top 25 teams... I would guess it's a respectible number considering the number of quality teams SU has faced over the years in the Big East and tournaments...
130 Wins 131 Losses

From now on, whenever I see that argument, I quote Bud Poliquin...

"Boeheim has beaten Bentley and Winthrop once, but he’s beaten North Carolina and Oklahoma State twice. Boeheim has beaten Alaska-Anchorage and Bucknell and Fairfield and United States International twice, but he’s beaten Indiana and Kansas and Kentucky and Tennessee three times. Boeheim has beaten C.W. Post and Maine three times, but he’s beaten Florida and Michigan four times. Boeheim has beaten Binghamton and Utica four times, but he’s beaten Michigan State and Missouri five times. Boeheim has beaten Buffalo five times, but he’s beaten Louisville six times. Boeheim has beaten Canisius, Colgate, Cornell and St. Bonaventure a total of 90 times, but he’s beaten Connecticut, Georgetown, Pittsburgh and Villanova a total of 150 times."

The basic takeaway is that JB's been around so long, he's played the entire college landscape over and over again, so if anyone wants to b**** about schedules, they can shove it up their ***. :p

From now on, whenever I see that argument, I quote Bud Poliquin...

"Boeheim has beaten Bentley and Winthrop once, but he’s beaten North Carolina and Oklahoma State twice. Boeheim has beaten Alaska-Anchorage and Bucknell and Fairfield and United States International twice, but he’s beaten Indiana and Kansas and Kentucky and Tennessee three times. Boeheim has beaten C.W. Post and Maine three times, but he’s beaten Florida and Michigan four times. Boeheim has beaten Binghamton and Utica four times, but he’s beaten Michigan State and Missouri five times. Boeheim has beaten Buffalo five times, but he’s beaten Louisville six times. Boeheim has beaten Canisius, Colgate, Cornell and St. Bonaventure a total of 90 times, but he’s beaten Connecticut, Georgetown, Pittsburgh and Villanova a total of 150 times."

The basic takeaway is that JB's been around so long, he's played the entire college landscape over and over again, so if anyone wants to b**** about schedules, they can shove it up their ***. :p

but how many of those wins were true road games? :eek:

mike waters did a nice piece just last week about the "low hanging fruit" argument if you'd care to google it.

Teams JB has a losing record versus:

Alabama 1-2
Bradley 0-1
Clemson 0-1
Cleveland St 0-1
Dayton 0-1
Illinois 1-2
Iowa 0-1
Kentucky 3-5
UMass 0-4
Minnesota 0-1
UNC 2-3
Ohio 0-1
Ohio St 2-4
Oklahoma 1-2
Oklahoma St 2-3
Texas A&M 0-1
Tulsa 0-1

BC 36 and 17
Cinn 7 and 3
Conn 40 and 32
Depaul 9 and 3
GTown 37 and 34
Lville 6 and 9
Marq 7 and 3
Miami 13 and 5
ND 23 and 11
Pitt 38 and 22
Prov 45 and 9
Rutgers 26 and 5
S Hall 45 and 14
S FL 9 and 1
St J 40 and 20
Temple 5 and 2
Vill 36 and 30
VTech 4 and 1
WVU 22 and 6

Teams JB has a losing record versus:

Alabama 1-2
Bradley 0-1
Clemson 0-1
Cleveland St 0-1
Dayton 0-1
Illinois 1-2
Iowa 0-1
Kentucky 3-5
UMass 0-4
Minnesota 0-1
UNC 2-3
Ohio 0-1
Ohio St 2-4
Oklahoma 1-2
Oklahoma St 2-3
Texas A&M 0-1
Tulsa 0-1

He'll be fixing the UNC and Clemson numbers real soon :)

but how many of those wins were true road games? :eek:
So only away games mean anything? :bang: A couple of years ago, a poster on the infamous other forum tried to argue that only wins where SU was favored by less than 10 or not favored at all really mattered.:bat: No matter how you spin it, 903 is still 903 and that fact that only 2 other coaches have exceeded 900 speaks volumes.

221 True Away Wins out of 357 True Away Games
75 BET Games
5 ECAC Games
614 Home Games
62 Neutral Games
76 NCAA Games
19 NIT Games

We know that 500 of his wins (I think the real number may be 498 right now, but I'm rounding) are from Big East regular season games, BET, and NCAA Tournament. So a person could focus on the 400 other wins as being "cupcakes" or marvel at the fact that over half of the 903 is against top level competition. I seriously doubt that many other coaches are even close to 500 wins against that kind of competition. Plus there are probably at least another 75 or so high level wins from non-conference games against tough teams in pre-season tourneys, etc over 30+ years.