Has our defense been more physical lately? | Syracusefan.com

Has our defense been more physical lately?

jec1521

2nd String
Just thinking to myself at work, it seems like we have gone further in an attempt to be physical on the defensive side of the ball. BT and MCW are reaching more, and the bigs contest every shot under the basket with no fear of having a foul called.

Has JB finally figured out how to use the refereeing in college to his favor?

I don't think we've become more physical. It's just that when we play teams outside of the big east our physical play becomes more noticeable.

Well didn't that IU fan say that our game against them was the most physical basketball game he's seen in 45 years?!?

More constesting shots, getting into the passing lanes better, and trapping alittle better, but no more physical then before.

In BE ball syracuse would get whistled from moving away from the offensive player meanwhile on the other side opponents guards slide into our guards driving and got away with it. Horrendus handicapping. Not to mention I can name a dozen times when CJ got hit on the elbow not the hand when shooting a layup with no call.
BE reffing was awfull.

the MI fans were saying that once they got away from the B1G motto of "no autopsy, no foul" they were thriving.

Earlier us SU fans were mentioning that getting away from the clutch and grab has been welcome relief.

To the OP, I don't think we have changed at all. Right from the start, with SDSU, we weren't letting anything in easy, and we got called for a ton of fouls. And the same thing applied at Marquette. I think two things have happened to help reduce the fouls inside: 1. The refs actually look to see a foul now, as apposed to antipating it, and 2. Rak and BMK have gotten better at not commiting stupid fouls (and we can only hope that JS has learned too).

It looks to me like the players have confidence in the defense, like they really believe in it. That alone makes a huge difference. The fans and the media see it, too. Like it's all coming together at just the right time. Keita's improvement has a lot to do with it, IMO, as does Southerland's return and re-assimilation.

Just thinking to myself at work, it seems like we have gone further in an attempt to be physical on the defensive side of the ball. BT and MCW are reaching more, and the bigs contest every shot under the basket with no fear of having a foul called.

Has JB finally figured out how to use the refereeing in college to his favor?
Hate to oversimplify, but IMO the team's defensive footwork has picked up dramatically the past few weeks. This gives the impression of the play looking more physical because 95% of all shots are closely contested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom