Has Syracuse ever spent an entire season (Preseason thru Tourney) ranked in the Top 10? | Syracusefan.com

Has Syracuse ever spent an entire season (Preseason thru Tourney) ranked in the Top 10?

Meatball56

Scout Team
Not that it matters. Just a random thought as I believe we have done so thus far this season and I don't recall it happening before...

Didn't recall us starting the Preseason rankings last year that high.

So prior to last year, I'm saying probably never been done.

Didn't recall us starting the Preseason rankings last year that high.

So prior to last year, I'm saying probably never been done.

We actually were top 10 all year except for the first week of the 2009-2010 season as well.

It could have been done by some of the late 80's teams... who may have opened higher than finished as a 2 seed.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but only one SU team ever has been ranked #1 Preseason. That was the 1987-88 team, which included Douglas, Coleman, Seikaly, Thompson, Roe, Duncan, Brower, Hughes and Harried. They were never ranked #1 again.

They lost in the 2nd round of the NCAA to #11 seed Rhode Iseland.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but only one SU team ever has been ranked #1 Preseason. That was the 1987-88 team, which included Douglas, Coleman, Seikaly, Thompson, Roe, Duncan, Brower, Hughes and Harried. They were never ranked #1 again.

I dont think the OP was asking #1...just top 10 wire to wire.

I dont think the OP was asking #1...just top 10 wire to wire.

True and you immediately answered him. Last year was the only time it ever actually happened. Although the 1990-91 also did it, except for pre-season. Also, three other teams came within an eyelash of doing it: 1979-80, 1985-86 and 1989-90.

im confused by this post... are you pointing out we were ranked #1 in 87/88?

Did u see the links i posted?

Yes, I saw your links, but you wrote "thats not entirely true" My link shows that SU was ranked #1 preseason and not ranked #1 again that season. If that was not your question, then I am confused as to what you are confused about. Please explain.

Yes, I saw your links, but you wrote "thats not entirely true" My link shows that SU was ranked #1 preseason and not ranked #1 again that season. If that was not your question, then I am confused as to what you are confused about. Please explain.

Your link also says the 1987-1988 Louisville team was in the Big East and that Mizzou was in the SEC.

It's like the Metro and Big8 never existed.

I may be wrong... But orangehoops is usually pretty good.

In his season recap he said we started season #1... Maybe in coaches poll or diff ranking?

I think Orangehoops is also correct. Mr Young in his summary says that SU was Preseason #1. The first poll was published on December 1 and his chart shows SU #1 prior to Dec. 1. All of which is correct. They were never #1 again.

I think Orangehoops is also correct. Mr Young in his summary says that SU was Preseason #1. The first poll was published on December 1 and his chart shows SU #1 prior to Dec. 1. All of which is correct. They were never #1 again.

orange hoops has them #1 until early Jan

they started the season 10-0 with big wins over #16 temple and #6 duke

orange hoops has them #1 until early Jan

they started the season 10-0 with big wins over #16 temple and #6 duke

Not so. The only SU team EVER ranked #1 preseason was the 1987-88 team. They did not start the season 10-0. You are referring to the 1989-90 team, which was ranked #3 preseason and then spent 6 weeks at #1. The first poll that year was published on Nov. 27, so again Mr. Young's table is correct. That 89-90 team was upset in the S16 by Minnesota.

Not so. The only SU team EVER ranked #1 preseason was the 1987-88 team. They did not start the season 10-0. You are referring to the 1989-90 team, which was ranked #3 preseason and then spent 6 weeks at #1. The first poll that year was published on Nov. 27, so again Mr. Young's table is correct. That 89-90 team was upset in the S16 by Minnesota.

are there 2 people posting from your handle? because your last post and this post dont go together at all.

*edit* now i see whats going on.

you didnt realize i was talking about the 89-90 season the entire time (not sure why... with all the data).

so the key issue is we werent ranking #1 preseason... but moved to #1 before we played a game (which is def very odd).

and orangehoops wording may not have been the most precise in his season in review.

A freshman by the name of Ricky Fox had his coming out party against that team. It was Fox's first ever college game. The 1987 Tip Off Classic. A game that will live ...in infamy.

A freshman by the name of Ricky Fox had his coming out party against that team. It was Fox's first ever college game. The 1987 Tip Off Classic. A game that will live ...in infamy.
That game has been on ESPN Classic a bunch of times. Dick Vitale got all giddy doing that game.

so the key issue is we werent ranking #1 preseason... but moved to #1 before we played a game (which is def very odd).

I think that's what threw you. Very unusual, the #3 preseason ranked team jumps to #1 in the nation "before we played a game." Your comment really got me wondering. How did that actually happen? The official SU site no longer carries a listing of exhibition games back then, so I had to dig down deep.

According to my own records, SU played just one exibition game in November 1989. They beat Israel by 110 - 60. I guess that turned heads. They also had the best frontcourt in the country, with Owens, Coleman and Thompson as well as a couple of interesting frosh McRae (McDAA) and Mike Hopkins from the west coast. Sadly, they turned out to be a bust in the end, losing to a #6 seed.