Hate to Complain But... | Syracusefan.com

Hate to Complain But...

Col. Bleep

All American
It's bad enough that NJ Orange fans can't watch a number of games on TV or ACC.com including yesterday's.
But if we're reduced to having to listen to radio P-B-P...SU MUST do something about Jim Satalin.

He is the second worst radio color guy I've ever heard...ahead of only John Thompson.
The guy speaks in useless platitudes...almost no analysis and sometimes talks over the play-by-play.
He was D-1 head coach.
He must know the game.
It's amazing that a university that prides itself on its communications school has such a weak broadcast.
A lot of people on this board could do better.

But in broadcasting...people on the air rarely get useful feedback from management.
So, in the interest of helping, here are some suggestions:

1. Sit behind the mic with your hand over your mouth while the PBP is being called.
Speak only when there's an opening for it.

2. Stop with the noises like "uh-oh" or "no." It's inappropriate and on the radio no none even knows what you're reacting to.

3. Focus on the game. Know the other team and players' tendencies. Tell us what they're doing and what strategies are being employed. Please add something useful...tell us why things are happening.

It's bad enough to lose. It's even worse when you have to strain to figure out what's going on

It's bad enough that NJ Orange fans can't watch a number of games on TV or ACC.com including yesterday's.
But if we're reduced to having to listen to radio P-B-P...SU MUST do something about Jim Satalin.

He is the second worst radio color guy I've ever heard...ahead of only John Thompson.
The guy speaks in useless platitudes...almost no analysis and sometimes talks over the play-by-play.
He was D-1 head coach.
He must know the game.
It's amazing that a university that prides itself on its communications school has such a weak broadcast.

But in broadcasting...people on the air rarely get useful feedback from management.

1. Sit behind the mic with your hand over your mouth while the PBP is being called.

2. Stop with the noises like "uh-oh" or "no." It's inappropriate and on the radio no none even knows what you're reacting to.

3. Focus on the game. Know the other team and players' tendencies. Tell us what they're doing and what strategies are being employed. Please add something useful...tell us why things are happening.

It's bad enough to lose. It's even worse when you have to strain to figure out what's going on

I agree. How hard is it to do an hour or two of homework with the internet. People are just not very good at their jobs.

Chris Gedney should follow the same suggestions.

He was D-1 head coach.
He must know the game.

Where in Nj are you?

He was D-1 head coach.
He must know the game.

I was listening to the game on the car radio and had to turn it off because of Satalin. He's awful. He's not getting paid, is he? If he is, he should be charged with larceny.

I respectfully disagree on Thompson, though, Colonel; by comparison to Satalin, Thompson's Vin Scully.

Just be happy your only option wasn't the Pitt radio coverage, like me.

Worst I've heard by far. Dick Groat is the angry old man, homer cheerleader.

The Pitt announcers are terrible. Heard them on an XM feed once. That old guy was a miserable cuss.

The Pitt announcers are terrible. Heard them on an XM feed once. That old guy was a miserable cuss.

It was so bad. He personally called traveling on us just about every play. You could sorta tell the other two guys were wishing they could mute his mic.

I watched it on channel 55 here in Jerzee as well. I believe my in laws get that channel in Monmouth County as well. I don't think I've missed a game all year. I think I had to watch a couple of the early season non-conference ones on ESPN3 though.

If you have the NPR News app, you can listen to the game on WAER next time.

Groat was a much better shortstop than he is a broadcaster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom