Hawaii in danger of dropping football; victim of autonomy? (CBS: Dodd) | Syracusefan.com

Hawaii in danger of dropping football; victim of autonomy? (CBS: Dodd)

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo.../ad-deficit-may-cause-hawaii-to-drop-football

Welcome to the first unintended consequence of autonomy.

Hawaii can't afford to keep playing football, so it may drop football.

Those essentially were the words of Hawaii AD Ben Jay on Monday speaking to the school's board of regents. Jay's athletic department is facing a $2.1 million budget deficit. On the horizon are added expenses for cost of attendance in autonomy.

Couldn't a couple big money programs on the left coast just give them 600k a game or whatever the going rate is for built in ooc home games? Get them on the mainland for a few games in a row to help with travel expenses and such.

There attendance does not look that bad. 20 000 - 30 000 each game

Terrible article. If anything hurt Hawaii it was the conference expansion, which had them playing conference games at La Tech...and of course the Herm Frazier era.

Slive is enjoying this no doubt...leaves a few more coconuts to watch the SEC Network with no competition.

And everytime now that I hear Herm Frazier's name I think of Texanmark and "NOPE"

One side of me is very grateful for being in the ACC and I don't care if the school drops it's football program because we are "safe" for now but, being a huge college football fan it's sad it has come to this and the potential to not see the rainbow warriors compete on the football field. I really hate how the conference realignment, autonomy, possible unions may change the game and make it something different and a money grubbing machine.

Terrible article. If anything hurt Hawaii it was the conference expansion, which had them playing conference games at La Tech...and of course the Herm Frazier era.
Losing June Jones really hurt them too. They haven't really been decent since he left.

Hawaii should go independent. They should be able to schedule more home games, keep their away games to the west coast and against big-name competition that will give a big paycheck, and avoid long trips to such destinations as Louisiana Tech.

One side of me is very grateful for being in the ACC and I don't care if the school drops it's football program because we are "safe" for now but, being a huge college football fan it's sad it has come to this and the potential to not see the rainbow warriors compete on the football field. I really hate how the conference realignment, autonomy, possible unions may change the game and make it something different and a money grubbing machine.

It's been a money grubbing machine for quite a while. They are just getting better at it.

The money grubbing machine has been the facilities/coaching arms race. It's not like millions are going into the Athletic Director's pocket.

Stadium renovations, indoor practice facilities, new weight rooms and locker rooms, expensive coaches. It's been an arms race to who has the best facilities and those need to be paid for somehow.

Millions (or close to it) are also going into the pockets of AD's, as they are now making more than University Presidents. Giving AD's more power isn't going to slow this down.

I don't know, it's Hawaii. Things are ultra expensive because it's a tiny island state in the middle of the ocean, plus you need to get on big expensive airplanes to fly to and from their campus.

Kind of amazing they've lasted as long as they have.

If people really wanted to save Hawaii football the PAC-12 could choose to invite them in, help offset their costs, and be able to promise all of their athletes at least two trips to Hawaii during their college careers, but they won't because that's not how college sports work.

Too late... it's always been a money grubbing machine. Now the money is just getting bigger.

The money grubbing machine has been the facilities/coaching arms race. It's not like millions are going into the Athletic Director's pocket.

Stadium renovations, indoor practice facilities, new weight rooms and locker rooms, expensive coaches. It's been an arms race to who has the best facilities and those need to be paid for somehow.
I understand and have seen it unfold in front of my eyes like the rest of you. I wish it didn't come to this but it has.

Hawaii should go independent. They should be able to schedule more home games, keep their away games to the west coast and against big-name competition that will give a big paycheck, and avoid long trips to such destinations as Louisiana Tech.
The WAC died a couple years ago and Louisiana Tech is in C-USA now. They play in the MWC's West Division. The smallest airport in their division is Reno-Tahoe.

Fresno State
Hawaii
Nevada
San Diego State
San Jose State
UNLV

Air Force
Boise State
Colorado State
New Mexico
Utah State
Wyoming

The WAC died a couple years ago and Louisiana Tech is in C-USA now. They play in the MWC's West Division. The smallest airport in their division is Reno-Tahoe.

Fresno State
Hawaii
Nevada
San Diego State
San Jose State
UNLV

Air Force
Boise State
Colorado State
New Mexico
Utah State
Wyoming

So go independent and get more home games against better competition. Teams like Michigan have relished going out there every few years.