Hawkeyes radio broadcaster suspended for two basketball games | Syracusefan.com

Hawkeyes radio broadcaster suspended for two basketball games

And Iowa won the game.

Guy sounds like a lot of our posters talking about our bigs.

He's missing the obvious. Capel has connections at the right shoe companies and all of a sudden Pitt gets players. There is no question.

Florange44

And Iowa won the game.

Guy sounds like a lot of our posters talking about our bigs.

Yeah Iowa is playing really well this year. Now if he had snapped last year, I would understand.

This is kind of interesting. The Iowa radio broadcaster was caught with an open mic when they were playing Pitt the other night and said some things he probably shouldn't have. I've heard worse but he I think lesson #1 in radio is always assume the mic is on, right?

Too harsh or justified?

Hawkeyes radio broadcaster Gary Dolphin suspended for two basketball games
Yep, in broadcast the mic is always open. Act as such. I don't think what they said was awful, but they broke the #1 cardinal sin of broadcasting.

Yep, in broadcast the mic is always open. Act as such. I don't think what they said was awful, but they broke the #1 cardinal sin of broadcasting.
Yes, big time! The rule we were taught is never say anything in front of a mic that you wouldn't say in front of your Mother. (Times were different back then.)

In today's society you basically sneeze and someone is offended. I don't think he said anything bad at all. Guy is passionate about the team and frustrated at some aspects of the program. It happens.

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. I don't think the first part of his comments was all that bad, but then naming their own player... certainly is a cringeworthy moment. If this were the NBA, i'd say, apologize to the team/player and move on. With 'kids' in college, yeah, i get it—a two-game suspension seems right. Kind of a token gesture. Hope it doesn't extend any further than that, though. It's not about someone being offended. It's about 'reflecting negatively upon your own organization.'

I don't get it. He is saying something true. I remember the year after Etan Thomas left we had a game on ESPN and the people thought they were at a commercial break and he said something like this kid in there now is no Thomas. Which was true. He is supposed to be a company man and he is talking bad about the company and I get that but a little over the top to suspend someone.

I don’t know the reference
She was a longtime news anchor for channel 4 in NY. One night on the 11:00 news, as they were going to commercial break yelled at someone, "what the are you doing?" She made an ashen- faced apology after the break.

get this announcer and that psycho Iowa coach in a cage match

more strange it doesnt happen more since you hear something almost every game and its 50/50 good or bad.

If a Vice President of a company posted negative comments about the large company or coworkers on social media, they would likely be fired.

The suspension seems pretty straight forward to me. He (inadvertently) made negative comments about an Iowa player during a broadcast that was heard by the fan base. His primary job responsibility is to be a homer for Iowa and he made a huge blunder. You can’t let that go without some sort of visible consequences.

I