HCDB- chess vs checkers. | Syracusefan.com

HCDB- chess vs checkers.

DoctorBombay

Hall of Fame
Starting with his very depreciating comments earlier in the week like "don't bet the house on it", or "all we need is a slingshot", I had the sense that Dino wasn't really vested into this game. Deep down I bet he'd admit that we just aren't ready for this kinda matchup, not yet anyway. That's not to say he wouldn't play to win if the kids played over their heads and an opportunity presented itself. But I believe he's two steps ahead in the "rebuilding a program" chess match, and today was time to hold back his pawn...and wait.
So, when Dungey goes down, even if it was possible to bring him back in, why not sit him in a game where your team is overmatched? Especially since- "as he goes, we go", is the tag line for ED, you get some reps for your backups and live to fight another day.
I have no doubt Babers will have us in a position to exact revenge on Clemson in the not too distant future, but today, regardless of the competitive fantasies of some of our fanboys, we weren't beating Clemson...AT Clemson.
No brainer, IMO.

when we went for it on 4th down when dungey was in there still it was a tell like the louisville game that we are overmatched in

I have no doubt in Dino re: big picture, talent deficiencies, and what it takes to be competitive at this level week in and week out. Dino has been throwing subtle little vignettes all season about talent deficiencies in these pressers. Still, too many procedure mistakes in this game. Slovenly lining up, confusion, etc., even before Dungey was knocked out (and NO I don't think the hit was dirty). Some of this is on Dino. On defense it was JV vs Varsity. We have a bunch of smurfs out there.

The disappointing part was that we were not ready to play. Clearly. Can't have that. You mix that with the enormous talent gap, Clemson maybe starting to hit their stride...rout.

I have no doubt in Dino re: big picture, talent deficiencies, and what it takes to be competitive at this level week in and week out. Dino has been throwing subtle little vignettes all season about talent deficiencies in these pressers. Still, too many procedure mistakes in this game. Slovenly lining up, confusion, etc., even before Dungey was knocked out (and NO I don't think the hit was dirty). Some of this is on Dino. On defense it was JV vs Varsity. We have a bunch of smurfs out there.

The disappointing part was that we were not ready to play. Clearly. Can't have that. You mix that with the enormous talent gap, Clemson maybe starting to hit their stride...rout.
Agreed. There have been times this season where we've looked like the keystone cops, trying to get plays in, running against the play clock, lining up correctly, etc.
As the system gets implemented, I think these issues will get better. When we see these guys again in a couple years, I'm willing to bet we put up a better showing with an older, wiser, more experienced team.

Yea. When he went Wilson over Mahoney, that screamed to me he was not playing for today but for the next few weeks

Agreed. There have been times this season where we've looked like the keystone cops, trying to get plays in, running against the play clock, lining up correctly, etc.
As the system gets implemented, I think these issues will get better. When we see these guys again in a couple years, I'm willing to bet we put up a better showing with an older, wiser, more experienced team.

You said it better and simpler. The multiple Elmer T Lee Single Barrel pours here may have had something to do with this.

Yea. When he went Wilson over Mahoney, that screamed to me he was not playing for today but for the next few weeks
Make sure you have your 2 QB's in the last 3 games, and again Austin showed why he isn't ready for this level, great kid, but not a power 5 talent.

Disagree 100%.

We had young guys playing in front of a bazillion fans, future NFL players, and we got blitzed early, and lost our best player.

I'm not sure "being prepared" can even be judged given all that. It's just a part of growing up. It's a process we're in the beginning of.

In Dino, I trust.

Starting with his very depreciating comments earlier in the week like "don't bet the house on it", or "all we need is a slingshot", I had the sense that Dino wasn't really vested into this game. Deep down I bet he'd admit that we just aren't ready for this kinda matchup, not yet anyway. That's not to say he wouldn't play to win if the kids played over their heads and an opportunity presented itself. But I believe he's two steps ahead in the "rebuilding a program" chess match, and today was time to hold back his pawn...and wait.
So, when Dungey goes down, even if it was possible to bring him back in, why not sit him in a game where your team is overmatched? Especially since- "as he goes, we go", is the tag line for ED, you get some reps for your backups and live to fight another day.
I have no doubt Babers will have us in a position to exact revenge on Clemson in the not too distant future, but today, regardless of the competitive fantasies of some of our fanboys, we weren't beating Clemson...AT Clemson.
No brainer, IMO.
I don't get this post. so basically you are saying that dino didn't think we had a chance to win, so he just decided it was ok to lose? if he decided it was ok to lose and it wasn't worth playing dungey, what does that say to the rest of the players?

Disagree 100%.

We had young guys playing in front of a bazillion fans, future NFL players, and we got blitzed early, and lost our best player.

I'm not sure "being prepared" can even be judged given all that. It's just a part of growing up. It's a process we're in the beginning of.

In Dino, I trust.

I don't know. Would you like a handkerchief? You can't just excuse them. Young teams go in there all the time and fare better. Besides, if you had read the post, most of my issue had to do with constant mistakes pre snap before Dungey went out.

I don't get this post. so basically you are saying that dino didn't think we had a chance to win, so he just decided it was ok to lose? if he decided it was ok to lose and it wasn't worth playing dungey, what does that say to the rest of the players?
No, that's not what I'm "basically" saying. I think he was more than prepared to play to win, that's what any coach or team is looking to do every single game. But once Dungey goes down, he becomes pragmatic and looked to play Wilson over Mahoney, for example, rather than go all out in a game he realized we couldn't win.
I'm saying he recognized this was a possibility earlier in the week, & wasn't bothered by the reality of the situation as others might've been.
An analogy would be when a coach benches his starters once his team falls behind early. Some people might argue that you keep them in hoping for a comeback or respectable showing. A coach playing chess realizes that one game does not a team make, and is willing to take the hit to fight another day. I'm saying Dino knew the blowout possibility existed, and when faced with the prospect after ED's injury, he acted accordingly.

I don't know. Would you like a handkerchief? You can't just excuse them. Young teams go in there all the time and fare better. Besides, if you had read the post, most of my issue had to do with constant mistakes pre snap before Dungey went out.

Constant?

I think if you're Babers you'd view NC State as a much more important game for the program than the Tigers. He probably views us as having at least a punchers chance against the Wolfpack.

The talent gap was obvious all over the field today. Credit Clemson, they took us seriously. They looked ready and polished. While we're at it, credit Baber's for getting us to 4-4 in such a way that Clemson felt compelled to take us seriously.

I don't think the offense was prepared for the noise. They looked confused and rushed and should have had X amount of plays ready for quicker snaps. That set the tone. Clemson is better in every facet of the game but it looked like SU practiced with mimes during their break to get ready for the noise level. That was extremely disappointing to me.

No, that's not what I'm "basically" saying. I think he was more than prepared to play to win, that's what any coach or team is looking to do every single game. But once Dungey goes down, he becomes pragmatic and looked to play Wilson over Mahoney, for example, rather than go all out in a game he realized we couldn't win.
I'm saying he recognized this was a possibility earlier in the week, & wasn't bothered by the reality of the situation as others might've been.
An analogy would be when a coach benches his starters once his team falls behind early. Some people might argue that you keep them in hoping for a comeback or respectable showing. A coach playing chess realizes that one game does not a team make, and is willing to take the hit to fight another day. I'm saying Dino knew the blowout possibility existed, and when faced with the prospect after ED's injury, he acted accordingly.
for the love of god, just stop it.

But once Dungey goes down, he becomes pragmatic and looked to play Wilson over Mahoney, for example, rather than go all out in a game he realized we couldn't win.
so you just said exactly what I said. cool story bro.

I don't think the offense was prepared for the noise. They looked confused and rushed and should have had X amount of plays ready for quicker snaps. That set the tone. Clemson is better in every facet of the game but it looked like SU practiced with mimes during their break to get ready for the noise level. That was extremely disappointing to me.

why did you think the noise caused issues? we didnt have false starts caused by noise and we didnt really have issues changing plays at the line.

i was wondering why we wanted to wait so long to get into the play set but that wasnt a noise issue.

Maybe, just maybe the coaches wanted to slow the game down a bit for the 2nd/3rd string QB that was in the game.

And maybe seeing as how we were getting our asses kicked they wanted to run a bit of clock so that score didn't end up 100-0.

Just maybe...

Maybe, just maybe the coaches wanted to slow the game down a bit for the 2nd/3rd string QB that was in the game.

And maybe seeing as how we were getting our asses kicked they wanted to run a bit of clock so that score didn't end up 100-0.

Just maybe...

I was talking about the very beginning of the game. Dungey was in and the play clock went to or near zero far too often.