HCSS Oozes college football | Syracusefan.com

HCSS Oozes college football

Fjoinkay

Starter
from every pore of his being. At this early stage in his tenure I feel like every presser during camp is another opportunity to learn something new about him as much or more than about the team. At this point I gather he's probably a balanced and a wonderful person across the many roles he fills in life. I get the sense that the football team is like an extension of family to him, and I feel like the players feel felt and seen and they respond to him in winning ways.

And then I have this nagging thought the keeps surfacing of an interview with Andrew Luck where he was asked about playing for Jim Harbaugh at Stanford. This thought persists even though it is in no way directly related to HCSS. We know that Shafer coached for one season (I believe it was one) at Stanford, but that's about it. Maybe the link in my mind is simply that Harbaugh's dad was a football coach too. Anyway, a year ago while a rookie with the Colts Luck was asked to talk about playing for Jim Harbaugh at Stanford. Luck is a bright and articulate guy, so I was curious to find out what he thought about Harbaugh. I mean Harbaugh has been remarkably successful as a head football coach. I paraphrase here, but basically Luck said that Jim Harbaugh has a unique way of creating healthy competition for the team in all areas of life. That was pretty much all Luck said, and it was clear that Luck had the utmost respect for Jim Harbaugh as a coach and as a person.

So..., I'm excited to see this team play! That's why this Luck comment keeps popping into my mind. Every coach talks about competition and what competition means to building a team. But like anything else some coaches are better than others. I believe healthy competition builds understanding and respect amongst the team members. Guys get to see each other's strengths and weaknesses and over time they can all feel more comfortable in their own skin. The barriers go down, and the sense of being a part of something bigger than the self flows more naturally. And of course, the competition continues hopefully in creative and fun ways. These are intangible qualities, but when a team is put together well good things can happen. I have no idea if Shafer has any of the Harbaugh magic in him, but at this point I see nothing but possibilities. Game on!!

I love watching Shaf do his pressers...never felt that way with DM...always felt like he was a corporate mouthpiece. Shaf you feel the love and emotions.