He Walks the Walk... | Syracusefan.com

He Walks the Walk...

newmexicuse

All Conference
So many coaches preach that kids have to play D, but in the end the kids who can score see the floor.

Perhaps the biggest reason (outside of recruiting - you gotta have the raw material firstly) for Jimmy's great success is that he says kids earn their floor time by playing D, and with only a very few exceptions (Donte Greene comes to mind) he sticks to it. And even those exceptions are truly elite O end talents.

It will be interesting to see how many minutes DC2 gets tomorrow. I expect Nova to go into the high post on their first possession to make the big guy commit. They will either get an open fifteen footer or a bounce pass to the baseline that will result in a layup. Either way Grant will be at the scorers table to move Rak to the 5 on defense well before the under 16:00.

Basketball is a team sport. Scoring, rebounding (both ends), steals, assists, getting back on defense, basketball IQ, set plays, free throws, communication, etc... are all very important. If talent were all teams needed UK would be 40-0 (LOL!).

So many coaches preach that kids have to play D, but in the end the kids who can score see the floor.

Perhaps the biggest reason (outside of recruiting - you gotta have the raw material firstly) for Jimmy's great success is that he says kids earn their floor time by playing D, and with only a very few exceptions (Donte Greene comes to mind) he sticks to it. And even those exceptions are truly elite O end talents.
Let's not get carried away. If his choices are limited and/or there is a tremendous disparity in overall ability at a position, JB plays the guys who can most likely get him wins. Actually, that's what he always has done. Most recently, those guys have generally been sound defensively. But that hasn't always been the case (see Flynn and Devo from the not too distant past).

It will be interesting to see how many minutes DC2 gets tomorrow. I expect Nova to go into the high post on their first possession to make the big guy commit. They will either get an open fifteen footer or a bounce pass to the baseline that will result in a layup. Either way Grant will be at the scorers table to move Rak to the 5 on defense well before the under 16:00.
Kind of a pessimistic view. I'm hoping to see good things out of the early entry passes into DC2. I think even better than points might be some early fouls out of their bigs.

Also if SU can get their two primary bigs in foul trouble, DC2 may be a great option to put in to take advantage of their backup bigs.

Im interested in JB's ability to work the refs early in this game. Something tells me that could be important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom