Here are the schools that have had multiple early entrants get drafted in the 1st round since 2012 | Syracusefan.com

Here are the schools that have had multiple early entrants get drafted in the 1st round since 2012

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
This is so painful to look at. This has definitely hurt the program plus the fricken punishment we unjustly received. These are the only schools with multiple players. Michigan State, for instance, only had one player left early and was drafted in the first round.

Kentucky 14
Duke 7
Syracuse 6
UCLA 5
Kansas 4
UNC 4
Washington 4
Michigan 4
Arizona 3
Indiana 3
Yukon 2
Ohio State 2
Gonzaga 2
Louisville 2
UNLV 2
Vandy 2

Dion, Fab, MCW, Ennis, CMac, Mali. That's six. Jerami was 2nd round.

you-sir-are-correct.jpg

So in a perfect world where everyone stays 4 years circa late 80's this year's team could have been Tyler Ennis, Chris McCullough, Tyler Roberson, Tyler Lydon, Tyus Battle, Malachi Richardson, Moustapha Diange, and Taurean Thompson

This is so painful to look at. This has definitely hurt the program plus the fricken punishment we unjustly received. These are the only schools with multiple players. Michigan State, for instance, only had one player left early and was drafted in the first round.

Kentucky 14
Duke 7
Syracuse 6
UCLA 5
Kansas 4
UNC 4
Washington 4
Michigan 4
Arizona 3
Indiana 3
Yukon 2
Ohio State 2
Gonzaga 2
Louisville 2
UNLV 2
Vandy 2

But I thought our recruiting stunk and Jimmy was lazy and sleeping when he did attend events? Amazing that we are ahead of UNC, Kansas and Zona. We could use this as a real recruiting tool if our coaches knew how to use the internet!

cuse!

So in a perfect world where everyone stays 4 years circa late 80's this year's team could have been Tyler Ennis, Chris McCullough, Tyler Roberson, Tyler Lydon, Tyus Battle, Malachi Richardson, Moustapha Diange, and Taurean Thompson

Yes but UK would be a juggernaut still. Harrisons, Towns, Booker, Murray, Briscoe, Julius Randle. It's a fun what if game though for your big cbb fan!

Meh. Kinda of fake news. If you add 2nd round and I don't know why you wouldn't, UNC is at 6 (plus prob Jackson this year) so would be same.

Kansas is at 8

Last edited:
A large number of Syracuse fans think our recruiting is in serious trouble and we aren't getting enough talent. A large number also think that we're recruiting too much talent and should focus on four-year program guys...

The better question would be whether or not we're getting the most out of the talent we have. In that time span, Syracuse has three Elite 8's, two Final Fours, 12 tournament wins. Duke has three Sweet 16's, two Elite 8's, one Final Four, one title, 12 tournament wins. UCLA has three Sweet 16's (one still pending), zero Elite 8's or beyond, six tournament wins.

Kentucky has four Sweet 16's (one still could go farther), three Elite 8's, three Final Fours, a runner up, a national title, 18 tournament wins... But also twice as many early entrants.

So it seems like we're getting similar results to the programs with a similar number of early entrants.

Meh. Kinda of fake news. If you add 2nd round and I don't know why you wouldn't, UNC is at 6 (plus prob Jackson this year) so would be same.

Kansas is at 8

If you add the second round in you have to add Rak.

There was no reason to add in the second round as most are not guaranteed contracts. If they were, almost twice as many players would leave early. And Rak was a senior, not an early entrant.

Would Wayne Selden on Kansas this year hurt or helped them?

If you want to analyze the numbers, you have to include him, Diallo...among others on Kansas

Would Davis have helped Michigan State?

Let's play fair here with the numbers

Kansas is at 8
Most second rounders don't get a guaranteed contract. Thus their NBA career is minimal in most instances. Of course there have been a few exceptions. But it's only a handful. You don't leave college early and aspire to be a 2nd round pick.
Where Are All The Second Round Picks? Nobody Knows And The NBA Doesn't Seem to Care | The Huffington Post

Most second rounders don't get a guaranteed contract. Thus their NBA career is minimal in most instances. Of course there have been a few exceptions. But it's only a handful. You don't leave college early and aspire to be a 2nd round pick.
Where Are All The Second Round Picks? Nobody Knows And The NBA Doesn't Seem to Care | The Huffington Post

What does this have to do with impacting the school?

So if Lydon drops to the second round, therefore it wouldn't have hurt us next year?

Your conclusion is asinine

If you want to analyze the numbers, you have to include him, Diallo...among others on Kansas

Kansas has had several go pro over the years who haven't been first round picks - like Selden as you mention.

Do you think Wayne Selden thought he was a first round pick when he left Kansas after three years? No way. He wasn't even a second round pick. He left because his window was closing and he wanted to start earning a paycheck. If you want to argue 2nd rounders, go ahead, but for most of them, there is no guaranteed NBA paycheck and if it is, it's still not as much as a first rounder.

Do you think Wayne Selden thought he was a first round pick when he left Kansas after three years? No way. He wasn't even a second round pick. He left because his window was closing and he wanted to start earning a paycheck. If you want to argue 2nd rounders, go ahead, but for most of them, there is no guaranteed NBA paycheck and if it is, it's still not as much as a first rounder.

Ok let's start over again. What's the point of your initial post?

Isn't it suggesting we have been hurt more by early entries than other schools?

That's the point right?

Why would we not count Wayne Selden leaving a year early as hurting the Kansas program because he was undrafted? Explain the logic

That's the point right?

Why would we not count Wayne Selden leaving a year early as hurting the Kansas program because he was undrafted? Explain the logic

I guess that's how I think of it. Even if they weren't 1st rounders, there are some solid college players that go pro early. Although I have to admit my mind is playdoh after reading all these threads the past couple days so maybe I'm off base. All I know for sure is what Brian thinks.

Dion, Fab, MCW, Ennis, CMac, Mali. That's six. Jerami was 2nd round.
Who was our last player to declare after their Junior year (not counting Devo/Harris)? Would you have to go back to Billy Owens?

EDIT: Silly me, it'd be Wes. But Billy for 3 year SU players, I believe

That's the point right?

If you want to count every player who leaves school before their eligibility is up go ahead. But if you are talking about Wayne Selden, you would need to talk about Devin Brennan-McBride, Ron Patterson, BJ, Sean Williams, Paul Harris and Devo. That wasn't my point. I'm not arguing that Wayne Selden wasn't a good college player. He was, but not from an NBA draft stand point.

None of our six guys would have left Syracuse early if they weren't guaranteed a first round million dollar a year contract. Wayne Selden left for a different reason. That's my point and that's why he wasn't included. He was leaving no matter what. That's different than why our guys left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom