Here is a bit about composite rankings...just for fun | Syracusefan.com

Here is a bit about composite rankings...just for fun

Ptzburghcuse

Walk On
I put together a list of recruits dating back to 2007 with their incoming overall ranking (Rating according to verbalcommits.com) and then I put my own grade on how I think they did while they were at SU.

Year Player Rating My Rating at SU
2007 Greene 10 B
2007 Flynn 21 A
2007 Scoop 46 A-
2007 Jackson 75 A
2007 Williams NR NA
2007 Kristof NR A
2008 Kris Joseph 64 A-
2008 Mookie 47 C
2008 Southerland NR B+
2009 Deshonte Riley 89 NA
2009 Triche 151 B+
2010 Fab Melo 14 C / B+
2010 Waiters 21 A-
2010 CJ Fair 84 A-
2010 BMK 157 B
2011 RAK 20 B
2011 MCW 28 ?
2011 Cooney 81 ?
2011 Gbinije 29 ?
2012 DC2 20 ?
2012 Grant 46 ?
2013 Ennis 23 ?
2013 Patterson 136 ?
2013 Johnson NR ?
2013 Chino NR ?
2014 McCullough 12 ?

For sure player ranking doesn't always predict on court performance but it does seem to give some indication on how things might play out. We have had a few nice surprises and a few disappointments along the way (IMHO).

I gave sub-par grades versus my own expectations to Greene (for one year which all too often seemed a bit selfish for me) to Mookie, and to Fab's first year. I loved Kristof's heart and motor and thought he exceeded expectations - I would have put Pace in this group to if I would have gone back about five more years.

Obviously some of these guys rankings will change before they arrive on campus and if history repeats some sadly will never make it to the hill or transfer out.

I didn't know that Gbinije was that highly ranked coming out of HS - anyone know how he is doing in practice?

Also puts into perspective how nice of a get McCullough is - he is currently the highest ranked recruit since Greene.

I'm sure if we did something like this for Kentucky it would be littered with top 20's (and top 10's) since Cal arrived in town - but I like the way SU is going about things and hope that our run of success can continue.

Looking at your chart, in a couple years I think we are going to feel that Grant was underrated in the mid-40s coming out of HS.

I like the way you grade. Luckily I had a few teachers at SU who graded that way.

I put together a list of recruits dating back to 2007 with their incoming overall ranking (Rating according to verbalcommits.com) and then I put my own grade on how I think they did while they were at SU.

Year Player Rating My Rating at SU
2007 Greene 10 B
2007 Flynn 21 A
2007 Scoop 46 A-
2007 Jackson 75 A
2007 Williams NR NA
2007 Kristof NR A
2008 Kris Joseph 64 A-
2008 Mookie 47 C
2008 Southerland NR B+
2009 Deshonte Riley 89 NA
2009 Triche 151 B+
2010 Fab Melo 14 C / B+
2010 Waiters 21 A-
2010 CJ Fair 84 A-
2010 BMK 157 B
2011 RAK 20 B
2011 MCW 28 ?
2011 Cooney 81 ?
2011 Gbinije 29 ?
2012 DC2 20 ?
2012 Grant 46 ?
2013 Ennis 23 ?
2013 Patterson 136 ?
2013 Johnson NR ?
2013 Chino NR ?
2014 McCullough 12 ?

For sure player ranking doesn't always predict on court performance but it does seem to give some indication on how things might play out. We have had a few nice surprises and a few disappointments along the way (IMHO).

I gave sub-par grades versus my own expectations to Greene (for one year which all too often seemed a bit selfish for me) to Mookie, and to Fab's first year. I loved Kristof's heart and motor and thought he exceeded expectations - I would have put Pace in this group to if I would have gone back about five more years.

Obviously some of these guys rankings will change before they arrive on campus and if history repeats some sadly will never make it to the hill or transfer out.

I didn't know that Gbinije was that highly ranked coming out of HS - anyone know how he is doing in practice?

Also puts into perspective how nice of a get McCullough is - he is currently the highest ranked recruit since Greene.

I'm sure if we did something like this for Kentucky it would be littered with top 20's (and top 10's) since Cal arrived in town - but I like the way SU is going about things and hope that our run of success can continue.

Seems like your ranking criteria vary. Sometimes they are based on how they did in absolute terms, other times they are based on how they did compared to their rankings. For eg. Waiters should be an A+ in terms of raw performance. The only way that you could have given him an A- is that you are grading on performance compared to expectations. On the other hand you gave Scoop an A-. Compared to his HS ranking (pretty much right in the middle of the top 100) he over-performed and should therefore get an A+. You gave Scoop an A-. If Kristoff is an A in terms of how he performed overall regardless of his ranking, how do you explain that he was not good enough to hold down his starting position? He was not an A player for us although he might have exceeded expectations. Given his unusual background, his expectations were pretty unknown.

Too early to rank current players. CJ, Triche, Southerland, XMAS are all players that could blow up this year. Southerland is on fire and he is handling the ball. If this continues he will be another Waiters.

Seems like your ranking criteria vary. Sometimes they are based on how they did in absolute terms, other times they are based on how they did compared to their rankings. For eg. Waiters should be an A+ in terms of raw performance. The only way that you could have given him an A- is that you are grading on performance compared to expectations. On the other hand you gave Scoop an A-. Compared to his HS ranking (pretty much right in the middle of the top 100) he over-performed and should therefore get an A+. You gave Scoop an A-. If Kristoff is an A in terms of how he performed overall regardless of his ranking, how do you explain that he was not good enough to hold down his starting position? He was not an A player for us although he might have exceeded expectations. Given his unusual background, his expectations were pretty unknown.

Too early to rank current players. CJ, Triche, Southerland, XMAS are all players that could blow up this year. Southerland is on fire and he is handling the ball. If this continues he will be another Waiters.

I agree - with your assessment - for sure Kristoff wasn't a headline player but he did exceed my expectations in terms of what he brought to the court time he was given.

I also know that the grades of the current players could well change - it was just how I thought they had done thus far at SU.

Perhaps I have graded a bit generously but let's face it - aside from Greene's year - we have had a very nice run of success. A couple #1 rankings in the regular season and a couple #1 seeds, the best season record in SU history - all nice things...Would have loved to add another NC to that picture but perhaps that will come soon.

I like the make-up of this team - I think we have many very nice pieces - I guess it will come down to where do we go to score when we need a basket - are we too balanced? Is that possible? We need a go to guy (and a back-up go to guy) that wants that last shot. But I love the size of our team - I don't think there has ever been an SU team that could potentially be bigger than MCW, Southerland, Fair, Coleman, and RAK. If they can move and find the correct positions they will be a nightmare defensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom