Here it is: Annual “This team is tired” thread! | Syracusefan.com

Here it is: Annual “This team is tired” thread!

DoctorBombay

Hall of Fame
Not suggesting that these last 2 losses were entirely due to fatigue, but the familiar symptoms seem poised to make a reappearance.
After 40 years, it’s no surprise to watch as JB fails again to develop a bench, and simply refuses to “grow” players into their roles over the course of the season. He simply doesn’t agree that fatigue is an issue w/ 19 -year olds.
I respectfully disagree, and no, I’m not a HOF’er. JB is a great coach, and I’m a big supporter, so it’s not that.
I just think that on this issue, along w/ the “we’re gonna play the 2-3 zone all game every game, no matter what” inflexibility, JB is being shortsighted, and it’s gonna end up biting us...again!
We’re looking at a team that’ll be exhausted by mid-February, and that negative factor will be reflected in every data point across the board.
Since it’s an issue that WILL be revisited again, we might as well put it all in one place & have at it!
JMHO

here's my " tired" analogy

if you watch nascar you notice the lap times drop off dramatically after the tires wear. the only remedy is to give up track position and pull into the pits for new rubber. and you come out faster. JB doesn't believe in pit stops. he believes that tires last forever .

here's my " tired" analogy

if you watch nascar you notice the lap times drop off dramatically after the tires wear. the only remedy is to give up track position and pull into the pits for new rubber. and you come out faster. JB doesn't believe in pit stops. he believes that tires last forever .

Ha, if only our guys were synthetic vs. natural too... ;)

Nothing to even debate on this topic this year. We have had seven healthy scholarship players. Six have played regular minutes and the seventh is not able to contribute at this level at this point in his development. The eighth looks like he may be rounding back into form but is a one-for-one position player. By that I mean he will take minutes from Chukwu and Dolezaj's time at center. Will do nothing to ease the burden on the top three. Our bench was Thompson (or whoever he would have replaced in the starting line up and Thorpe. Shelf this conversation until we have a full roster.

well the roster is the head coaches main responsibility. most games are decided before tip off. and this is JB'S roster 2017/18.

well the roster is the head coaches main responsibility. most games are decided before tip off. and this is JB'S roster 2017/18.

No. JB's roster had Thompson and a healthy Thorpe and Sidibe. The only point of contention where the staff could shoulder some blame is not being able to wrap up a viable option for Green.

2018-01-07_1032.png

No. JB's roster had Thompson and a healthy Thorpe and Sidibe. The only point of contention where the staff could shoulder some blame is not being able to wrap up a viable option for Green.
Fair point. But my main issue is more on the player development angle.
One of the best coaches at this was Rick Pitino, whose teams were usually shaky in the beginning, but he’d play his bench and have a deep, confident team come March. Except in a few noteworthy instances where we’ve made runs in the OBE Tournament or the 2 recent FFs, Jb’s teams have tended to start strong & fade as the season progresses. I submit that some of that is partially due to how thin they were, where fatigue or injury impacts or wrecks an entire season.
Again, not the only factor, but some runs might’ve lasted longer if we’d had a deeper bench. This year appears to be heading to that norm.

Last edited:
and look at the quantity and quality sitting on their full bench compared to ours.

Duke has zero players in the top 100 for D1 MPG. Zero. If K extends players here and there, so be it. He doesn't do it chronically.

Our top three guys?

For *ALL* of D1 are now 8-10.

It's not nearly the same thing.

They are tired and will only get more tired. Common sense I would think. It’s different if there are teams with more talent and better shooters. Our three main cogs all have limitations in their games as well so it’s harder on them, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom