Here's the irony, the two guys who were pulling for Marrone | Syracusefan.com

Here's the irony, the two guys who were pulling for Marrone

GoSU96

Living Legend
to get hired aren't all that worked up about it.

The folks who thought he a bad choice, was a meathead, sucked, couldn't recruit, wanted him gone after two years, in October, thought he still wasn't "the guy" as late as December are some of the most upset and outraged.

What's up with that? What do you think the state of the program would be if he got fired at the end of the season?

Is this disruptive, damn straight. It's TGD's job to manage that. Would it have been better if he stayed? Yep, but he didn't, so suck it up and move on.

It's not a step back, it's not turning back four years of progress, it's a hiccup, as long as the school addresses the underlying issues that were part of Marrone's disillusionment.

The folks who thought he a bad choice, was a meathead, sucked, couldn't recruit, wanted him gone after two years, in October, thought he still wasn't "the guy" as late as December are some of the most upset and outraged.

What's up with that? What do you think the state of the program would be if he got fired at the end of the season?

Is this disruptive, damn straight. It's TGD's job to manage that. Would if better if he stayed? Yep, but he didn't so suck it up and move on.

It's not a step back, it's not turning back four years of progress, it's a hiccup, as long as the school addresses underlying issues that part of Marrone's disillusionment.
I think he's a stupid meathead who can overcome it college but not the pros.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Is this disruptive, damn straight. It's TGD's job to manage that. Would it have been better if he stayed? Yep, but he didn't, so suck it up and move on.

It's not a step back, it's not turning back four years of progress, it's a hiccup, as long as the school addresses the underlying issues that were part of Marrone's disillusionment.

Still not completely clear about his disillusionment. It seemed like the university was taking steps to improve facilities, etc. Was it backlash from the community as well? If so, what does he expect in Buffalo?

I think he's a stupid meathead who can overcome it college but not the pros.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Stupid meathead. Wow. Very creative.

He was a better coach this season than the previous three. We're not losing the guy we hired we're losing the one he grew into. That makes a difference.

Add to that my terror that fans are embracing a panic move and yeah, I'm not thrilled with how things might play out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm more disillusioned as a Bills fan then a Syracuse fan because it puts the playoffs at least three years away in my opinion. I dont think Marrone will succeed in Buffalo. Reminds me of Mike Mularkey all over again. Ironically one of the reasons he quit is because hi kids were getting targeted ar school.

Good luck Coach Marrone

He was a better coach this season than the previous three. We're not losing the guy we hired we're losing the one he grew into. That makes a difference.

Add to that my terror that fans are embracing a panic move and yeah, I'm not thrilled with how things might play out.

Okay Mr. 3 and 9.

Not ironic at all. You've had a do no wrong attitude about Marrone since day one. Your consistency is neither surprising nor ironic.

Also, I don't believe losing Marrone is a disaster. The choices we make as a consequence sure can be though.

yeah I'd like to say I don't get it but this morning its still raw and emotional, so I get many peoples reactions at this point. For me I like Scoochs take about being Spock as that's what I'm feeling too. It's just the way it is. Really can't hold it against the guy to have grand ambitions. So no bitterness.

That said I can't get myself to wish him success, not wishing against him or for him, just ambivalent. One the one side it would have been nice to see him fight the good fight, work for improvements to infrastructure, better salaries and live the ideals he preached, at least early on. Then there's the reality of what must have been the internal working up there to turn him off to an extent to where he fell prey to his greater individualistic ambitions over those of the larger family of his SU related interests.

Would've been nice if he had bucked the current societal trend of the me first society, but let's face it very few can or do. Just the way it is. Hope the next pick can take advantage of what DM has left here.

Hey now. That's Mr. 4 and 8,bub.

Any chance you would leave for a better forum? AND CAN YOU TAKE SOME POSTERS LIKE YOU, WITH YOU?

Any chance you would leave for a better forum? AND CAN YOU TAKE SOME POSTERS LIKE YOU, WITH YOU?
Not likely. I'm pretty loyal.

And you should step back and think for a minute. I'm advocating that the University take its time and make the best choice. That's all.

Posters like that are smarter than you're giving them credit for.

yeah I'd like to say I don't get it but this morning its still raw and emotional, so I get many peoples reactions at this point. For me I like Scoochs take about being Spock as that's what I'm feeling too. It's just the way it is. Really can't hold it against the guy to have grand ambitions. So no bitterness.

That said I can't get myself to wish him success, not wishing against him or for him, just ambivalent. One the one side it would have been nice to see him fight the good fight, work for improvements to infrastructure, better salaries and live the ideals he preached, at least early on. Then there's the reality of what must have been the internal working up there to turn him off to an extent to where he fell prey to his greater individualistic ambitions over those of the larger family of his SU related interests.

Would've been nice if he had bucked the current societal trend of the me first society, but let's face it very few can or do. Just the way it is. Hope the next pick can take advantage of what DM has left here.

Good post. At the end of the day it's bidness. The last sentence in your second paragraph sums it up. Conditions changed his attitude to the point where the bright lights of the NFL overcame the dream job illusion. Bottomline he found out/realized this is just another job.

I'm glad he felt the way he did coming in, because it helped sell the program and turn the arrow up. Now the school is in the position that it doesn't need an alum selling a vision and being here as much because of the emotional investment and sense of obligation as it's because it's a good job that someone can succeed at.

That's what Marrone has given back to the program.

Me first? That's unfair. The guy is a family man. So if anything he put his family first.

You talked to Zak?

OPA is mighty peeved. Me, think he was either naive, not that bright, or full of it when he came here with the stuff he said. The program desperately needed another year out of the guy with the ACC transition. The NFL isn't going anywhere - and it's not like he left to coach the Giants or Niners.

The only absolutes I have are my families love, death and taxes and then more taxes. Anyone that worships or lives for what a coach or athlete says or said and believe it to be 100% true will set themselves up for disappointment.

Me first? That's unfair. The guy is a family man. So if anything he put his family first.
listen I'm good with following ones own self interest but to say its because of "family concerns" belies reality. I'm sure his family would've survived just fine in Syracuse on a measly $2mil/year for the next 4 years don't you? We rationalize "me first" sometimes for a variety of reasons, some valid like like who knows what the heck was going on internally up there with some of the things we've been hearing. So I get why this has happened.

As long as he has a press conference and props up Syracuse in every which way on his way out then it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Good post. At the end of the day it's bidness. The last sentence in your second paragraph sums it up. Conditions changed his attitude to the point where the bright lights of the NFL overcame the dream job illusion. Bottomline he found out/realized this is just another job.

I'm glad he felt the way he did coming in, because it helped sell the program and turn the arrow up. Now the school is in the position that it doesn't need an alum selling a vision and being here as much because of the emotional investment and sense of obligation as it's because it's a good job that someone can succeed at.

That's what Marrone has given back to the program.

I just think that it sounds like Doug is an amazingly naive man.

I find it hard to believe that he didn't know what he was getting when he took the job.

I wonder if he understands what he has gotten himself into in Western NY?

NFL HC jobs can utterly destroy the man and his family - look what it did to the Reids and to Dick Vermeil, to the Dungy's, to Greg Williams!

And look at how quickly the next "genius" becomes the next casualty - Reid, Todd Haley, Lovie Smith, the recently fired HC of the Tampa Bay Bucs (?), Ken Wisenhunt and on and on and on.

Lets see how well Marrone is prepared for the NFL circus.

It will be very interesting.

I just think that it sounds like Doug is an amazingly naive man.

I find it hard to believe that he didn't know what he was getting when he took the job.

I wonder if he understands what he has gotten himself into in Western NY?

NFL HC jobs can utterly destroy the man and his family - look what it did to the Reids and to Dick Vermeil, to the Dungy's, to Greg Williams!

And look at how quickly the next "genius" becomes the next casualty - Reid, Todd Haley, Lovie Smith, the recently fired HC of the Tampa Bay Bucs (?), Ken Wisenhunt and on and on and on.

Lets see how well Marrone is prepared for the NFL circus.

It will be very interesting.

Here is what I will stipulate to:

1) He ain't the brightest bulb

2) He didn't know how much the sands had shifted

3) He needs a thicker skin

4) He left to early.

I also know you have more info than you are letting on.

Go-

Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying you agree with 1-4 or disagree?

And spill it orangePa ;)

Here is what I will stipulate to:

1) He ain't the brightest bulb

2) He didn't know how much the sands had shifted

3) He needs a thicker skin

4) He left to early.

I also know you have more info than you are letting on.

Go-

Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying you agree with 1-4 or disagree?

And spill it orangePa ;)

There's nothing shocking there, pretty common knowledge. And OPA does know much more than he is letting on.