Here's what we're up against | Syracusefan.com

Here's what we're up against

CIL

All Conference
Here's just an example of a few nuggets from a PAC-12 article I was reading. Warning, this is pretty depressing considering we're trying to come up with 10MM for an indoor facility or upgrades to our one whirlpool:

• The Washington Huskies (my alma mater, it should be noted) broke ground on a $250 million renovation of Husky Stadium, and one of the finest pieces of real estate in all of college football will have an updated facility and football office complex worthy of its waterfront property.

Washington State Cougars AD Bill Moos made a huge splash by inking Mike Leach to a five-year contract, a deal that is the richest in Cougars history by a long shot. The "Pirate of the Palouse," as he is already being deemed in the Pacific Northwest, brings a track record of success bigger than his personality. WSU also is beginning the process of an $80 million renovation to Martin Stadium with an additional $80 million project in the works to enhance on-site facilities.

it is and it isn't - yes the PAC-12 schools are flush with cash and are in a facilities war trying to compete with the likes of Oregon and its Nike benefactor, but the east coast schools are not really spending to that same degree right now

SU could be competitive facilities-wise without a huge hundreds of millions of dollars spending spree, but simply by the relatively modest fund-raising totals they have mentioned (believe in the $15M range would do it for indoor practice facility and upgrades to football/training facilities). That's not outlandish for a BCS-level private school and if SU can't figure out a way to get that done then they probably have no business being in a conference with schools that can get it done - because that's what's required to compete at this level.

I wonder how the taxpayers in Washington feel about dumping all of that money into football programs at two public universities, when there are are only a select few programs in the entire country that manage to break even financially?

And I wonder how the students will feel about paying a bloated coach's salary and facility upgrades coming on the heels of the largest-ever in-state tuition increase in UW's history (20%) that was announced a couple of months ago?

Here's just an example of a few nuggets from a PAC-12 article I was reading. Warning, this is pretty depressing considering we're trying to come up with 10MM for an indoor facility or upgrades to our one whirlpool:

• The Washington Huskies (my alma mater, it should be noted) broke ground on a $250 million renovation of Husky Stadium, and one of the finest pieces of real estate in all of college football will have an updated facility and football office complex worthy of its waterfront property.

Washington State Cougars AD Bill Moos made a huge splash by inking Mike Leach to a five-year contract, a deal that is the richest in Cougars history by a long shot. The "Pirate of the Palouse," as he is already being deemed in the Pacific Northwest, brings a track record of success bigger than his personality. WSU also is beginning the process of an $80 million renovation to Martin Stadium with an additional $80 million project in the works to enhance on-site facilities.
Isn't it Floyd Little's job to get this done through, in particular, former players? It seems to me that other than McNabb, they haven't been very generous. Or, am I wrong?

Former player for most part have not been generous. There have been exceptions of course, but we also seem to struggle landing highly touted legacies

I wonder how the taxpayers in Washington feel about dumping all of that money into football programs at two public universities, when there are are only a select few programs in the entire country that manage to break even financially?

And I wonder how the students will feel about paying a bloated coach's salary and facility upgrades coming on the heels of the largest-ever in-state tuition increase in UW's history (20%) that was announced a couple of months ago?

Agreed. The height of irresponsibility; even as a private institution, I don't know that we want to emulate those schools (not to that degree, at least).

Former player for most part have not been generous. There have been exceptions of course, but we also seem to struggle landing highly touted legacies
Just out of curiosity who have we missed out on? I don't remember any off the top of my head. We should bring Desko in to close the legacy recruits. Guy gets it done.

Doesn't Dwight Freeny come back and train here every summer? I've never heard anything about a donation from him and he makes some good change...

Speaking of legacies, man...how nice it would have been to see Gronkowski wearing Orange!

Just out of curiosity who have we missed out on? I don't remember any off the top of my head. We should bring Desko in to close the legacy recruits. Guy gets it done.

gronkowski kids (like four of them)
ehrmann (wf)
andrew sweat (osu)
spinney (bc)
others that I am forgetting

i understand we passed on tebucky jones jr

Hey if you believe the scout recruiting rankings the Big East is out recruting the Pac 12 right now.

New stadium and facilities on Onondaga Lake? C'mon Congel, make it a part of your Destiny vision!

Hey if you believe the scout recruiting rankings the Big East is out recruting the Pac 12 right now.

I'll bet you the coaches out-coach the BE coaches nearly top to bottom.

44cuse

And in other news, Syracuse finally after a decade of fund raising was able to upgrade the bands uniforms!

Yea but they sure do fire up the 9 people in the quad before a game when they do a walk through

If we could win some games, recruiting should improve. That matters more than facilities IMO

If we could win some games, recruiting should improve. That matters more than facilities IMO

In my opinion winning helps but facilities makes a big difference too probably more so now than 20 years ago. Winning doesnt solve everything especially when you consider how crappy your facilities are.

I'll bet you the coaches out-coach the BE coaches nearly top to bottom.

44cuse

Haha. I'd be more inclined to use that as an arguement over recruiting website ranking validity but doesn't make you point false by any means.

WVU and Pitt outrecruiting Oregon with there limitless cash flow and amazing facilities according to scout. Cinci outrecruiting Stanford, Arizona State, Washington, and USC as well accoring to their recruitniks.

http://recruiting.At their request,...ked from this site./a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2012

In my opinion winning helps but facilities makes a big difference too probably more so now than 20 years ago. Winning doesnt solve everything especially when you consider how crappy your facilities are.

SU will never, ever be able to get by on its FB facilities. It won't happen. We will always be on the bottom. The key is that we need to be close enough facilities wise to use the other positives SU offers to get kids here. Being significantly worse than our ACC brethren is unacceptable. Being the worst but not too far behind our ACC buddies should be expected. So if people are thinking that facilities is the only answer, then we might as well give up. We cannot win that battle.

SU will never, ever be able to get by on its FB facilities. It won't happen. We will always be on the bottom. The key is that we need to be close enough facilities wise to use the other positives SU offers to get kids here. Being significantly worse than our ACC brethren is unacceptable. Being the worst but not too far behind our ACC buddies should be expected. So if people are thinking that facilities is the only answer, then we might as well give up. We cannot win that battle.
Agree - we just need to get into the same ballpark as our peers. We're not in a position to compete with states' money. As long as recruits get the sense that we are at least as serious about football as our peers, we will be in much better shape than we are now.

Nicely Said!