hey ryan burr | Syracusefan.com

hey ryan burr

ryan burr, an espn talking head and su grad, said about a month ago that syracuse has "serious, serious problems" and stated matter of factly that syracuse would have 5 or 6 losses by the end of the BET.

People complain about Gottlieb and Hubert et al, but Ryan Burr is by far the most anti-Syracuse guy on that network, which is something considering he went here.

People complain about Gottlieb and Hubert et al, but Ryan Burr is by far the most anti-Syracuse guy on that network, which is something considering he went here.

It's a way to make a name for himself. People see a guy going against the grain by claiming we have "serious" issues and think nothing of it, but when they see he is an SU guy, they think he's got some inside info that led him to his conclusion. I had never heard of the guy before he made the comments, so it worked to some degree.

Gotta prove you're not a homer.

He's worse when talking about our football team. No pride. He loves to mask it with "I've got to be objective". You don't have to be a cockknocker about it though

5 or 6 losses eh?

I heard Ryan Burr predict 5 or 6 losses on ESPN's college basketball podcast with Gottlieb and Katz. Although I didn't agree, I had no problem with that statement. We're all entitled to our opinions.

However, I listened when he appeared on the podcast one week later and he said SU was a lock for a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. That's something that strikes me as problematic. You can't say a team is a lock for a #1 seed one week after saying the same team will hit a major slump.

I'd assume he sees how guys like Tirico and McDonough are viewed and wants to avoid that (everyone knows those guys are blatant homers). Or maybe he just doesn't like SU athletics. Lord knows I knew people at SU who were fans of other schools and hated SU hoops (the RA my freshman year was a UConn fan for instance, and laughed when I said we would at least split with them. This was 99-00, so you can imagine my delight returning to Sadler 6 after we rolled them at home on Big Monday that year).

My RA was an avid Rutgers fan if you can believe it. Of course this was back in '78. After we beat Rutgers at manley in '77, my roommate said hey Lloyd (RA's name) and the RA hit him. No kidding.

ryan burr, an espn talking head and su grad, said about a month ago that syracuse has "serious, serious problems" and stated matter of factly that syracuse would have 5 or 6 losses by the end of the BET.

Interesting...people hear/see what they want to hear/see. My interpretation was a bit different from what I recalled when listening. Did I think he was over the top on the serious, serious rhetoric, yes, but it certainly was not outside the realm that after the BET we could've been looking at a 5-6 loss SU team. We had some shooting and rebounding concerns (still do) and, more importantly, we were facing a much more difficult schedule coming up. I don't recall him saying this team will have 5 or 6 losses, only that he could see it happening.

It's not like we are dominating our opponents, a couple of games have been nip and tuck for long stretches that could have gone either way with a play here of there. Fortunately, we made enough plays to eek out a all of those, that just as easily could've been losses. UConn, L'vile and Rutgers were all close games until very late. Saturday's game is no gimme, either will the finale be against the Cardinals.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Shouldn't hindsight be better than 20-20? Like say, 20-5, like Ted Williams' eyesight?

Interesting...people hear/see what they want to hear/see. My interpretation was a bit different from what I recalled when listening. Did I think he was over the top on the serious, serious rhetoric, yes, but it certainly was not outside the realm that after the BET we could've been looking at a 5-6 loss SU team. We had some shooting and rebounding concerns (still do) and, more importantly, we were facing a much more difficult schedule coming up. I don't recall him saying this team will have 5 or 6 losses, only that he could see it happening.

It's not like we are dominating our opponents, a couple of games have been nip and tuck for long stretches that could have gone either way with a play here of there. Fortunately, we made enough plays to eek out a few of those, that just as easily could've been losses. UConn, L'vile and Rutgers were all close games until very late. Saturday's game is no gimme, either will the finale be against the Cardinals.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Gotta prove you're not a homer.
I've seen over the years an anti-SU bias in the media, mainly because so many media members are from SU, they compensate so a bias for will not be perceived.

I heard Ryan Burr predict 5 or 6 losses on ESPN's college basketball podcast with Gottlieb and Katz. Although I didn't agree, I had no problem with that statement. We're all entitled to our opinions.

However, I listened when he appeared on the podcast one week later and he said SU was a lock for a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. That's something that strikes me as problematic. You can't say a team is a lock for a #1 seed one week after saying the same team will hit a major slump.
This is what bothers me more than anything else. I don't have a problem with guys having an opinion, but at least be reasonably consistent with it. I know Douggie's got a lot of air time to fill (same with Cowherd...), but these guys passionately advocate for a position and then argue the exact opposite three days later ALL THE TIME. The result is I have a hard time taking anything these guys say seriously.

He sounds exactly like an

He sounds exactly like an SU fan to me then. Doom and gloom one week, sky's the limit the next. Sounds like a schizophrenic 'Cuse fan, just like the majority of us on this board!

seriously, some fans here are so much worse when it comes to critiquing the team...and thats even after we win...people love and or start contreversy often when there is nothing there

Never heard of him, though I don't pay much attention to pundits, sports talk, etc.

Maybe he meant without Fab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom