Hey Townie72...JTIII Comments On MD AD Kevin Anderson... | Syracusefan.com

Hey Townie72...JTIII Comments On MD AD Kevin Anderson...

GTown should play Maryland in basketball. Just silly.

Anyone know G'town's issue with scheduling MD? Afraid of losing face locally? Bad blood between the athletics depts for some reason? MD AD seems to have a good strategy - increase the public's/media's call on Gtown to acquiesce.

I wish the MD AD had ended his statement with, "It's 2012 - and Georgetown still sucks!"

Are there really still non-conference rivalries between BCS conference caliber schools?

Maybe I am just jaded from watching our non-conference schedule over the last 15 or so years, but they seem to me to be few and far between.

Louisville vs. Kentucky
Georgia vs. Georgia Tech
Florida vs. Florida State
Notre Dame vs. Indiana
Syracuse vs. Colgate

Are there others?

Via Dan Steinberg Tweet:

John Thompson Jr. on UMD AD: "He is a very, very exceptional individual. He’s capable of directing the athletics at two different schools."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...s-basketball/2012/02/19/gIQAx0lsNR_story.html

Yeah, I read it.

I believe that John Thompson Jr still pulls a lot of the strings at GU and has a great influence on the son.

GU is the school that doesn't want to play Maryland. And the reasons go beyond the dollars and cents to the bruised feelings and ego of John Thompson Jr. If he's anything, JT Jr is a "DC guy". And the crowd of at that USair arena game showed him that GU has no real fan base in the DC area. Maryland has a huge fan base here. I was at that game and that had to be a tough lesson to have driven home.

On his radio show a while back he was talking about the dominance of the Redskins in the DC area media. He and his partners were complaining that in spite of what else is going on in sports that he might be more interested in on his show, the radio station HAD to concentrate on the Redkins. He said that there are somethings you can't fight. He went on to say that he knew that Maryland was the dominant athletic program in DC. He said you can't fight it.

GU owes Maryland a home game at the Comcast Center. There's no way GU will agree to play in front of that rowdy, even viscious, crowd. The treatment Duke gets there would be mild compared to the reception GU would get.

GU really doesn't want to play MD at the Verizon Center. GU can't even dominate that place against SU. Can you imagine what it would be like if they were playing Maryland.

In the longer term its Georgetown that has the problem with its schedule. Soon to be gone are home games against SU, WVU and Pitt to be replaced with Boise State and Central Florida. It's Maryland that will be playing Syracuse and Pitt while GU is entertaining DC crowd favorite SMU or Houston.

And in spite of whats being said, SU is going to quickly fall out of love with playing GU especially outside of the Carrier Dome. We're going to be much more interested in playing Saint Johns and Villanova. We'll have ACC games near DC at Maryland, Virginia and Virginia Tech. There's no reason to play GU except to sell Carrier Dome tickets to the nostalgia crowd.

GTown should play Maryland in basketball. Just silly.

As I wrote below ... it isn't silly.

Maryland now wants to play to sell tickets. They need the money.

GU actually draws quite poorly given their location and the quality of this year's team.

They advertise trying to sell tickets continually.

Even so, GU, amazingly, isn't all that hard up for money. But they aren't going to play Maryland for the reasons listed below.

As I wrote below ... it isn't silly.

Maryland now wants to play to sell tickets. They need the money.

GU actually draws quite poorly given their location and the quality of this year's team.

They advertise trying to sell tickets continually.

Even so, GU, amazingly, isn't all that hard up for money. But they aren't going to play Maryland for the reasons listed below.

EVERY team wants to sell tickets. It's what they do. GU should want to sell tickets too. Should be a good rivalry game for them. Good for the fans. Certainly good for the schools to keep travel costs down. Built-in excitement could be good for both programs. And God knows they both need it.

EVERY team wants to sell tickets. It's what they do. GU should want to sell tickets too. Should be a good rivalry game for them. Good for the fans. Certainly good for the schools to keep travel costs down. Built-in excitement could be good for both programs. And God knows they both need it.

Imagine what it would be like to play a team on your home floor and have the audience dominated by the fans of the opposing team. Think about the impact on the psyche of the GU players and students. Even if GU wins .. they lose.

GU fans and Rutgers fans whine about having a good percentage of SU fans at their home games and try to play all sorts of games with their ticket packages to keep the number of SU fans down. There would be no doing that for GU home games vs. Maryland on GU's home floor. There just aren't many GU fans. It's a smaller private school with a National student body. Maryland is a very large public school with tens of thousands of local alumni.

Many of Georgetown's older alumni don't root for the GU "John Thompon" program. They believe that JT effectively kidnapped the GU basketball program to make it into some sort of National Black college program. They love it when LA gang bangers wear GU gear.

Imagine what it would be like to play a team on your home floor and have the audience dominated by the fans of the opposing team. Think about the impact on the psyche of the GU players and students. Even if GU wins .. they lose.

I know what you're saying. And you're right that it would be difficult for the GT AD to see his stadium filled with UMD fans. But he still gets to cash the check, and then he needs to get to work on building support for his team from his fans, and other college basketball fans in the area. If GT games are as poorly attended as you say, I would think they could use the cash.

I know what you're saying. And you're right that it would be difficult for the GT AD to see his stadium filled with UMD fans. But he still gets to cash the check, and then he needs to get to work on building support for his team from his fans, and other college basketball fans in the area. If GT games are as poorly attended as you say, I would think they could use the cash.

OK ... then you explain why Georgetown is not interested in scheduling Maryland.

I tried to explain it to you.

There's certain things schools just won't do for money. Especially if they aren't hard up.

Right now, Maryland is extremely hard up for money. That's what is driiving their interest in playing Georgetown.

Part of this problem is the money they sunk into expanding their football stadium when it looked like "Fridge" was going to be successful in the long run.

Part of this is the "wall" that exists between the Maryland Athletic Budget and the General University Money. They can't --- by law -- pull a Rutgers/Mulcahy scam where they rob the money from the students.

To the Terps fans and their $$$ starved AD, I say this:

Do not worry your poor souls. Orange Nation will soon buy all your tickets and invade your home turf. The cavalry is on it's way.

If things are that bad at GU home games, why don't they go back to McDonough?

OK ... then you explain why Georgetown is not interested in scheduling Maryland.

I tried to explain it to you.

I'm sure you're right and that IS why they aren't playing Maryland. I just think they are looking at it all wrong.

Georgetown is quickly becoming irrelevant. They have limited fan support. They play off campus. They're in a dead conference. Their only "rival" is Syracuse who is 300 miles away. They could have a real timeless rivalry in their own state, but refuse to play because they're scared. It's quite funny.

If things are that bad at GU home games, why don't they go back to McDonough?

Even a half empty Verizon Center --- which is what GU typically plays in (half empty, that is) --- is better than McDonough Gym which is more like a high school facility ... a very old high school facility.

Georgetown has very weak athletic facilities. And they have built a building on just about every open space. So they play baseball somewhere in Virginia. There is one field in the center of campus that they use for lacrosse, football, soccer ... and just about everything else.

Georgetown Prep in Rockville --- the Jesuit high school that used to be next to Georgetown University --- has much, much, much better ahtletic facilities than Georgetown University.

Georgetown is quickly becoming irrelevant. They have limited fan support. They play off campus. They're in a dead conference. Their only "rival" is Syracuse who is 300 miles away. They could have a real timeless rivalry in their own state, but refuse to play because they're scared. It's quite funny.

Don't think they don't know that.

If you read the comments above from the blog entry posted by BillOrange, you can see a comment suggesting that Maryland help GU get into the ACC.

"I’m not gonna permit myself to be threatened, I can tell you that right now, by anybody that [wants] me to act on a threat. I don’t think that’s the intelligent way to do anything..."

What a clown JTII is for taking this as a personal threat against him. UMD-GU will clearly never happen as long as a Thompson is coaching at GU. Considering just how petty JTII is, I fear the same thing will happen to the GU-SU game.

Just so there's no doubt about who is running Gtown, it's the old man with the towel and the chip on his shoulder. As has been pointed out, Gtown has all to lose and nothing to gain, which is why, even two coaches past JT2, this annual game has not happened. Gtown has no fan base locally, and Maryland-Gtown would turn Verizon into a Caps hockey game -- a sea of red. But it is always fun listening to the bitter old man spew into his AM microphone. Gtown will soon enough be Patriot League level and Cuse will have a nice rivalry with Maryland in all sports. See ya old man.

This is going to backfire on Maryland in a big way. I think Anderson just cooked his own goose. I could easily see GTown coming back and saying "we won't even consider playing you in any sport ever again as long as Mr. Anderson is still involved in the process. When he's no longer speaking for the University of Maryland, feel free to give us a call."

Was it ever proved that Anderson was the one who leaked the information last year about the supposed GTown/UMD discussions? One of the comments at the bottom of that article said that Anderson was the one who f'ed info about the meeting to the press.