Hidden Gems that bode well | Syracusefan.com

Hidden Gems that bode well

Ragman2000

Pee-Trough Advocate
Cooney-
His shot fake behind the arc, single dribble, and pop for an easy deuce was an upperclass move. We haven't had many freshman over the years who make that move with success. I was also really impressed, while the press was on, with his ability to speed past and split two defenders to setup someone for a potential easy bucket. Love the aggressiveness.

Grant-
Heard a lot about his great play (his play is starting to remind me of the NIT 2002 frosh or semi polished Nov/Dec 2002 Sophomore Hakim Warrick in his game right now) and the dunk that could have been...but his best play of the game was his block on Blackshear with about 15 seconds left. In live action I thought it might have been CJ that got it, but in super slow-mo on my DVR it was definitely Jerami. That was as important to the outcome as MCW's steal of Siva, etc. And it was an incredible recovery to get in position and not foul there too.

Grant was also 2-2 from the line tonight. Since he is now a legitimate regular in James' absence, he's now a combined 7-8 from the line. There were times this year he was Onuaku like in his awfulness at the line, but the past two games (where he is "in the flow of the game"), his shot looks smooth and money.

I've never really been convinced that we deserved our ranking this year, but if the young guys continue to step up and learn on the fly, this team has the opportunity to be awesome by year end. James' suspension could end up being a blessing in disguise, even if he comes back, the extra playing time for others will be key for quality play at year end.

great post- the maturation of mcw, confidence building from cooney and dc2- makes this team's ceiling so high. if we could get james back and let him be the surplus offense guy with grant playing so well.. that would be huge..

I like your Grant and Warrick comparison. Grant's game is a little more perimeter oriented, but we haven't had a player as long and athletic as Grant since Warrick (which is saying something since Cuse always has a lot of long athletic players, but those two are on another level).

Grant is a player, period. Can't wait to see what he does for this program.

Grant is a player, period. Can't wait to see what he does for this program.

unfortunately i don't think we will have too long to enjoy it, but i'm sure going to when he is around

Don't forget Cooney's drive through the middle and a perfect pass to DC2, who screwed the easy lay-up.

Cheers,
Neil