Historians… | Syracusefan.com

Historians…

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic
How did Syracuse lose to Holy Cross in 1958 and then win it all in 1959???

Also I’d love to see us play them again at Fitton. One of the oldest stadiums left in the country.

Also I’d love to see us play them again at Fitton. One of the oldest stadiums left in the country.

I'm not a historian, but I think Holy Cross was a solid program back then. Looking it up, they lost to pretty good Penn State, Pitt, and Boston College teams that year. Somewhere along the way, Holy Cross started to de-emphasize athletics - they were offered a slot in the Big East when it was forming but declined since a heavy focus on athletics was no longer part of their mission.

The writing was so funny back then.

Wish it was more like that than what we have now. lol. Actually, there are still some really good writers out there.

In any case, if you read this you will notice that SU's kicker missed a 23 yard field goal. It was short! Short? How?

Last edited:
Wish it was more like that than what we have now. lol. Actually, there are still some really good writers out their.

In any case, if you read this you will notice that SU's kicker missed a 23 yard field goal. It was short! Short? How?
considering the ball back then was more like a balloon.

I remember that Holy Cross loss well. I, in high school and eventually SU class 64, and my father, SU class 26, had season tickets in old Archbold in the upper concrete around the 45 yard line. I, the other day in the score predictions section, entered "Tim Green 20 - Tom Greene 19." I knew what I was doing. It was the score of the Holy Cross game in 1957 at Archbold, with Cuse losing 19 - 20; I was there. I used "Green - Greene" for obvious reasons. The next year 1958, at HC, SU lost 13 - 14. I used Tim Green because of the last name, but I very well could have used Ron Luciano, our terrific All-American lineman on our teams back then.

These losses were sandwiched between the Jim Brown years and the 1959 national champs, and at the time were quite concerning and disappointing. So, what happened? Tom Greene happened. He was HC's quarterback, a multi-sport athlete, nationally famous. And on the football field he did everything, and did them well. After college, he was the "Boston" Patriots first QB. To this day, I can't forget those losses and Tom Greene, a worthy opponent.

I remember that Holy Cross loss well. I, in high school and eventually SU class 64, and my father, SU class 26, had season tickets in old Archbold in the upper concrete around the 45 yard line. I, the other day in the score predictions section, entered "Tim Green 20 - Tom Greene 19." I knew what I was doing. It was the score of the Holy Cross game in 1957 at Archbold, with Cuse losing 19 - 20; I was there. I used "Green - Greene" for obvious reasons. The next year 1958, at HC, SU lost 13 - 14. I used Tim Green because of the last name, but I very well could have used Ron Luciano, our terrific All-American lineman on our teams back then.

These losses were sandwiched between the Jim Brown years and the 1959 national champs, and at the time were quite concerning and disappointing. So, what happened? Tom Greene happened. He was HC's quarterback, a multi-sport athlete, nationally famous. And on the football field he did everything, and did them well. After college, he was the "Boston" Patriots first QB. To this day, I can't forget those losses and Tom Greene, a worthy opponent.
that's a great story. I wish Holy Cross would have taken the jump athletically and didn't find it to be an impediment to academics. They misread that situation very poorly in the 70s. I think HC would have been a great Big East team alongside BC. Not sure the region could support two big time programs but would have been fun to see how it would have all played out

It's wild how different northeast football was back then compared to today.

SU, Army, Navy, BC, Pitt, Penn State, Holy Cross, Rutgers, Villanova and Boston U., were all actual, serious, big time programs.

Greene died not long ago; in November of 2023.

He must have been pretty good as he was the coverboy for the NCAA football guide that year.

s-l1600.webp

They played the 1958 game at Fitton Field in Worcester, which was built in 1924.

If you have ever driven through Worcester on the way to New Hamphire (I have done this dozens of times for work), Interstate 290 bends around Fitton Field so they wouldn't have to raze it. It is a little odd but I am glad they were able to save the field.

Fitton.jpg

Wasn't there a lot of talent on the freshman team in 1958 that allowed the team in '59 to be great? Ernie Davis was one. Was John Brown in the same class as Ernie?

Great write up. Ron Luciano, one of the most famous umpires ever. From Endicott, NY.

Attachments

• The_Umpire_Strikes_Back.jpeg
    The_Umpire_Strikes_Back.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 8
Fitton Field in Worcester is the 4th or 5th oldest football field left. I think Kyle, Franklin, Harvard are older. I'd love to see a BC or Syracuse play them there. I know it'll never happen but it would be a great take for the Orange to take over an oldschool stadium like that. We'd prob get 5k to go easily

Wasn't there a lot of talent on the freshman team in 1958 that allowed the team in '59 to be great? Ernie Davis was one. Was John Brown in the same class as Ernie?
I'll answer this right now. I just happen to have the SU - Holy Cross football program right in front of me, played at Archbold October 17, 1959, the big year (I have lots of SU programs from back then). The pages are a bit wrinkled - must have rained that day. Bet SU wore their special rain pants; they seldom lost wearing them, probably because you play a lot better playing in comfortable dry pants. If I remember, they were beige color, not orange.

I know the class years that many of the regular players were in, from memory, but let me look in this '59 program. This program lists the '58 frosh as '59 sophs. Gimme a second to find the Syracuse Squad Roster page. Ah, here it is, page 19.

I'll enter the key 1959 sophs who were frosh in 1958, who I remember as contributing during their SU career and lettering; at that time frosh did not play varsity: Peter Brokaw, John Brown, Ernest Davis, Richard Easterly, Kenneth Ericson, Gary Fallon, Richard Feidler, George Francovitch, David Sarette, Robert Stem.

I was a soph on Sadler 2 in the fall of 1961, and the following seniors were on my floor: Brokaw, Brown, Davis, Easterly, Stem. I called my Dad, SU class 26 after I settled in on the first day there, and exclaimed excitedly "Dad, you won't believe who's on my floor !!!."

Great Memories
Orangedontrhyme

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom