Hobart Adding Sports | Syracusefan.com

Hobart Adding Sports

MaxwellCuse

All Conference
I read today that Hobart and William Smith Colleges plans to add 6 men’s and 6 women’s sports to their varsity offerings. I am floored! Liberty League football must have one hell of a TV contract to allow them more than 30 non-revenue sports. Just look at the P5 and G5 schools that are cutting Olympic offerings. I am impressed H&WS!

New sports include men's and women's Alpine skiing, baseball and softball, women's bowling, men's swimming and diving, men's and women's indoor and outdoor track and field and men's and women's volleyball.

I read today that Hobart and William Smith Colleges plans to add 6 men’s and 6 women’s sports to their varsity offerings. I am floored! Liberty League football must have one hell of a TV contract to allow them more than 30 non-revenue sports. Just look at the P5 and G5 schools that are cutting Olympic offerings. I am impressed H&WS!
Adding sports is a different game for tinier D3 and D2 schools. While it's true that there are forms of sorcery that allow them to basically give some athletes full rides as in D1, many lower division schools actually use these sports as a recruiting tool and see net financial gains from athletes. They are by no means printing money, but it all adds to the opportunities, character, and attractiveness of an institution.

I've also heard that HWS is in pretty good financial shape and has good alumni support, so that doesn't hurt either. Less risk vs. the rewards to the campus experience. Good for them.

Adding sports is a different game for tinier D3 and D2 schools. While it's true that there are forms of sorcery that allow them to basically give some athletes full rides as in D1, many lower division schools actually use these sports as a recruiting tool and see net financial gains from athletes. They are by no means printing money, but it all adds to the opportunities, character, and attractiveness of an institution.

I've also heard that HWS is in pretty good financial shape and has good alumni support, so that doesn't hurt either. Less risk vs. the rewards to the campus experience. Good for them.

$65k a year

Lots of wealthy and successful (engaged) alum.

My buddy went there and played football.

He just became an anesthesiologist.

Yeah. He's making goooood money and he loved his experience at the school.

I'm sure ten years down the road they will be receiving a nice donation from him.

Last edited:
Where the hell would the Women's Alpine Skiing team practice?

1628212737161.png

I coach in the Liberty league. It’s all enrollment related. H&WS has been in bigger trouble than realized as they’ve been taking some admissions lumps. They had some Greek life issues a couple years ago and that hurt them. Heard this was coming a couple weeks ago. Hope it helps there numbers.

I coach in the Liberty league. It’s all enrollment related. H&WS has been in bigger trouble than realized as they’ve been taking some admissions lumps. They had some Greek life issues a couple years ago and that hurt them. Heard this was coming a couple weeks ago. Hope it helps there numbers.
Sorority issues right?

That's unfortunate; hopefully they pull through this rough stretch. I've heard a bit through a couple of proud alumni, so it appears I'm getting a rosier version of things than reality. Not necessarily HWS, but I know that smaller schools with significant international student enrollment are really struggling.

Power 5 schools need to take a big lesson from this ...shame on them. It absolutely is possible to add sports when you are bringing in $90 million a year in athletics revenue alone. Add on top of it a $70,000/year tuition, and you are like, "why can't it be done again?" Liverpool high school offers more sports programs than most P5 (or at least it did when I went there). Money management and priority issues.

I remember Darryl Gross saying something like they could keep swimming and diving only if they had a dedicated $14 million to the program to have the best aquatics facility. To me, that sounds completely disingenuous. You could have a fine program without overspending. Compete for national championships and recruit the best athletes? Maybe not. But more sports could be offered

Soon schools will be offering “sports” scholarships in Gaming, and colleges will have their own teams. Meanwhile, traditional Olympic non-revenue sports will die out.

Soon schools will be offering “sports” scholarships in Gaming, and colleges will have their own teams. Meanwhile, traditional Olympic non-revenue sports will die out.
Don't forget team and individual meeming, redditting, and protesting. Gotta give the out of shape, pampered college students a chance at participation ribbons.