Honest question -- what happened to our rebounding??? | Syracusefan.com

Honest question -- what happened to our rebounding???

RF2044

Living Legend
I'm not saying that I expected us to remain in the top 10 all season statistically, but the raw materials and early returns were extremely promising.

Fast forward three weeks, and we get our a$ses kicked on the glass by EVERYBODY.

I have seen 2 things.

1. Teams are getting much more physical with us and not getting called for it. I mean, there are pushes, reaches, bumps and grabs on probably 50% of the offensive rebounds we are giving up.

2. Teams have taken notice that we have completely given up on fast breaks and so they are crashing 5 to the offensive glass because they have no fear of getting beat down the court.

I'm not saying that I expected us to remain in the top 10 all season statistically, but the raw materials and early returns were extremely promising.

Fast forward three weeks, and we get our a$ses kicked on the glass by EVERYBODY.
agree with general point - but we actually dominated uva, which is a good rebounding team

I like Paschal, but why is he in the game with 30 seconds to go in the half? Then we lose the ball and in comes Moyer for Brissett, Moyer is cold and he misses the rebound with 4 seconds left, he did get hit in the head, but everything smells like rotten eggs, i can't watch this

OOC schedule vs ACC schedule. It isn't rocket science. We did OK against Va Tech (small frontcourt). Otherwise, our inside guys are thin, mostly young, average.

How'd we rebound against Kansas?

Looks like there's more rocket science behind it and not as easily explained as you think.

No way I'm going to harp on Battle's play today as he was huge on offense. However, since we're not a threat AT ALL to break, he needs to crash the boards as does our other 6-5/6-6 guard in Howard. I've seen OU play a few games this year, including quite a bit of today's game against TCU. Trae Young had 43 points, 11 rebounds and 9 assists. That game went into OT, but he had 38 & 9 prior to. If a 6-1/6-2 slender guard in Young can get rebounds like this (it's not just today as he has had solid rebounding numbers all season) our 6-6 guards have to crash the frigging boards.

Last edited:
How'd we rebound against Kansas?

Looks like there's more rocket science behind it and not as easily explained as you think.

What's your point about Kansas? We held our own on the boards, because we shot poorly (18 of 56) and got 15 offensive rebounds. When you miss a ton of shots, you get more chances.

In general, as ACC competition gets tougher, our first year players (Moyer, Brissett) and very thin center have more challenges to compete on the boards. You want a more complicated explanation, have at it.

I have seen 2 things.

1. Teams are getting much more physical with us and not getting called for it. I mean, there are pushes, reaches, bumps and grabs on probably 50% of the offensive rebounds we are giving up.

2. Teams have taken notice that we have completely given up on fast breaks and so they are crashing 5 to the offensive glass because they have no fear of getting beat down the court.
This is exactly right.

I have seen 2 things.

This is spot on. Great post.

We suck at boxing out. Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one. Our frontcourt does not have good positional rebounders, it has height and athleticism. Works against teams that also suck at positional rebounding, doesn't work against the ones that do box out and have size.

We suck at boxing out. Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one. Our frontcourt does not have good positional rebounders, it has height and athleticism. Works against teams that also suck at positional rebounding, doesn't work against the ones that do box out and have size.
If this is true then seriously, what do we do at practice? Seems we have a lot of glaring issues that are usually remedied by coaching and reps.

If this is true then seriously, what do we do at practice? Seems we have a lot of glaring issues that are usually remedied by coaching and reps.

I think the inexperience and lack of talent makes it hard to focus on and improve one thing. We're bad at basically everything. Probably tough for the coaches to figure out which turd to polish.

He played well today.

He played very hard. Wish he’d put himself in better positions on the court to help offensively. He needs to cut more. He needs to move without the ball.

I thought he rebounded well, just thought he had like 7 or 8. He also had guys climbing on his back all game and didn’t get the whistles.

It comes down to a few things. One, we're playing better teams with bigger and more athletic players. Two, we don't have the interior bulk/strength to match physical teams. Three, teams crash more against us knowing we aren't going to run. Our FG % is down a tick and we're getting to the FT line roughly 5 fewer times per game in ACC play. Seems likes there's a few added chances for the opponent to get DREBS.

We're also shooting 38% from 3 in conference play, up from 29%, so long offensive rebounds are quite as available either.

But basically, it boils down to allowing 6 more offensive rebounds per game, which you can more than likely chalk up to the talent and size we face in ACC play.

Battle’s gotta help board on defense. No reason him and frank shouldnt average 4 each a game.
Especially since our guards aren't really leaking out for fast break opportunities. It's one thing if we were sending both guards up court to try to get a board then quick outlet...but we're not doing that either.