Honest question who are 8th and 9th players with Keita out in case of foul trouble? | Syracusefan.com

Honest question who are 8th and 9th players with Keita out in case of foul trouble?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I can see Fair/Grant/Christmas all getting foul trouble in upcoming games. Without BMK who after Gbinjie and Roberson would JB go to for a couple of minutes? I think obviously if Christmas gets foul trouble Grant will play the middle, and Gbinije will continue getting some minutes at the 3 like he did against Pitt. I am just wondering who is the 4th forward and 4th guard in case of emergency for a couple of minutes each game. I think BMK won't be done for the season unless he tore something which we don't know, but if its just pain I think come tournament time he will be able to play.

I think it would depend on the situation and which guy JB felt would play better defense. The thing is we are getting Keita back probably for the BC game at the latest to get him some burn before Duke. Also MikeG can play 30min if necessary and spell both the front and back court. All our starters other than Rock are used to playing big minutes. JB will trust CJ and Jerami down the stretch with 4 so they would need to foul out to be sitting late and then Roberson would also have to foul out plus another starter to get to BJ or Buss. You need 3 guys to foul out for this to happen even without Baye. When was the last time that happened to us?

I think it would depend on the situation and which guy JB felt would play better defense. The thing is we are getting Keita back probably for the BC game at the latest to get him some burn before Duke. Also MikeG can play 30min if necessary and spell both the front and back court. All our starters other than Rock are used to playing big minutes. JB will trust CJ and Jerami down the stretch with 4 so they would need to foul out to be sitting late and then Roberson would also have to foul out plus another starter to get to BJ or Buss. You need 3 guys to foul out for this to happen even without Baye. When was the last time that happened to us?

That's the key to me. The fact that Gbinijie can be the primary back up at 3 positions (PG, SG, and SF) and both starting forwards are really combos with Jerami also able to play the 5 gives JB a lot of flexibility.

I know the chances of needing this are beyond remote, but what is the rule IF we wanted Chinonso Obokoh to un-redshirt, as it were? Is he committed by rule to being out for the year, or could we somehow activate him?

JB would play with 4. Maybe he puts Keita on the court standing in the corner so we don't have to forfeit.;)

I know the chances of needing this are beyond remote, but what is the rule IF we wanted Chinonso Obokoh to un-redshirt, as it were? Is he committed by rule to being out for the year, or could we somehow activate him?
We can take the redshirt off the kid anytime we want. However, if he plays 1 minute then he will use 1 year of eligibility unless he gets hurt and can apply for a medical redshirt. In football kids who redshirt still dress in case of injury and the coach needs them. I think Obokoh could dress and in case of an emergency be used, but I doubt JB will use him because he isn't ready.

In the scenario you've laid out, my guess would be that the next player in would be Patterson. So Patterson, then BJ.

That about covers it.

What is Colemans status. I know they said he "had season ending surgery" is this like an IR designation like NFL or is it more like he wont be healthy to play. Scenario, Cuse in the championship game Rak fouls out and Keita fouls out with 5 or 6 minutes left and Grant has 4. Could Coleman come in if he was healthy enough to play or are there rules preventing him from coming in at all?

What is Colemans status. I know they said he "had season ending surgery" is this like an IR designation like NFL or is it more like he wont be healthy to play. Scenario, Cuse in the championship game Rak fouls out and Keita fouls out with 5 or 6 minutes left and Grant has 4. Could Coleman come in if he was healthy enough to play or are there rules preventing him from coming in at all?
I thought I heard he tore his meniscus and had surgery to repair it. Recovery from repairing a meniscus is much longer than if the damaged part is just removed, so he won't be a healthy enough to play at any point this season, if that's the surgery he had.

There are no rules preventing Coleman from playing again this season. His bum knee prevents him from playing again this season.

Coleman is done for the year like Mitch McGary at Michigan. If the players were medically cleared they both could play if their coaches wanted them to. However, I don't see Coleman's rehab being completed post-surgery in time to get himself into game shape. Also, I think JB won't risk this kid's future in a NC situation. Coleman needs to get healthy and be ready to contribute next year. Their is no IR in college sports if you play less than 30% of a season due to an injury you can apply for a medical redshirt. I don't know if Coleman played 30%, but it wouldn't matter as he isn't staying 5 years. Any player can take a regular redshirt and be allowed to practice as long as they don't play in any exhibition or regular season games.

Gbinije, Roberson, Johnson, Cooney, Patterson. If it ever came to this, I'm good, as long as the other team had similar losses.

Granted, I have Cooney in that 5, but I'm allowing for two guards. I'll put our bench against any other team's bench for all the marbles. Yes, sir.

I can see Fair/Grant/Christmas all getting foul trouble in upcoming games. Without BMK who after Gbinjie and Roberson would JB go to for a couple of minutes? I think obviously if Christmas gets foul trouble Grant will play the middle, and Gbinije will continue getting some minutes at the 3 like he did against Pitt. I am just wondering who is the 4th forward and 4th guard in case of emergency for a couple of minutes each game. I think BMK won't be done for the season unless he tore something which we don't know, but if its just pain I think come tournament time he will be able to play.
Michael Jordan circa '91