Honest self appraisal | Syracusefan.com

Honest self appraisal

Flacusian

All Conference
For me it's just a sad state of affairs that we find ourselves wringing our hands on selection Sunday going over a bizillion different scenarios on how we may somehow hear our name called. Bottom line is you need to just be better... Better at attracting talent to your program, better at recruiting that talent, better at insuring you don't have a team with ZERO depth, better offensively (that's been a huge problem) better at non conference play, better in conference play, better in your conference tournament.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what the rationale is for not making the tournament. Sanctions, early departures, injuries... That's just the way it is in this era of college basketball. If you are committed to fielding a team that doesn't just squeak into the tournament... but can have a shot at winning the whole thing...you have to do better than we have been doing in recent years. This team... and I do love the effort, grit and determination they have shown all year...is flawed and does not have any realistic chance at playing their way deep into the tournament, much less winning the thing.

For us to have a chance to do that we need some better talent... some kids who can shoot, and perhaps having one of our better underclassmen make a decision to stay an extra year. How does that happen... I can't say I know for sure but I would suspect that developing an esprit d' corp in the program that makes kids consider the option of staying another year for the chance at a National Championship may come into play at other programs. How much experience did we put out on the floor this season? Frank was our most seasoned player. He played as well as could have been expected... but he is not a natural point guard and we haven't had a pure point guard here for a couple seasons now.

Lastly, JB is a coaching legend. Perhaps even a defensive genius with what he has accomplished through the zone which he has created over the past 4 decades. But anyone who believes that the program hasn't been adversely affected by both the decisions and non decisions that JB has made over the past 10 years or so would be in denial. The programs future is still clouded with uncertainty. A young talented coach who had been groomed for many years is no longer part of the succession plan.

I love this program and always will but I am concerned that we may be in for quite a few years of mediocre teams with the same inherent problems that we have had to deal with recently. Any talk of Syracuse Basketball being among the "Bluebloods" is best left unspoken at this juncture in time. Still, I will always be all in with Cuse Basketball... but I really do wish that we are going to see teams that will be in the top 25 and be a lock for the tournament year after year. Because... that's the Syracuse Basketball program that I've be accustomed to cheering for since 1973

Can you wait until next season? Because if you can manage that, you should be good to go.

And rather than pick all the nits in your post, how about just one?
WHO is the Coach in Waiting behind:
K, Ol Cryin Roy, Hamilton, Larranaga, etc??

Those are 4 other non-Spring Chicken coaches in the same damn league, and I'm unaware of ANY of them having any sort of succession plan in place.
It's not a thing, period. Except for that one time, when we made it a thing.

For me it's just a sad state of affairs that we find ourselves wringing our hands on selection Sunday going over a bizillion different scenarios on how we may somehow hear our name called. Bottom line is you need to just be better... Better at attracting talent to your program, better at recruiting that talent, better at insuring you don't have a team with ZERO depth, better offensively (that's been a huge problem) better at non conference play, better in conference play, better in your conference tournament.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what the rationale is for not making the tournament. Sanctions, early departures, injuries... That's just the way it is in this era of college basketball. If you are committed to fielding a team that doesn't just squeak into the tournament... but can have a shot at winning the whole thing...you have to do better than we have been doing in recent years. This team... and I do love the effort, grit and determination they have shown all year...is flawed and does not have any realistic chance at playing their way deep into the tournament, much less winning the thing.

For us to have a chance to do that we need some better talent... some kids who can shoot, and perhaps having one of our better underclassmen make a decision to stay an extra year. How does that happen... I can't say I know for sure but I would suspect that developing an esprit d' corp in the program that makes kids consider the option of staying another year for the chance at a National Championship may come into play at other programs. How much experience did we put out on the floor this season? Frank was our most seasoned player. He played as well as could have been expected... but he is not a natural point guard and we haven't had a pure point guard here for a couple seasons now.

Lastly, JB is a coaching legend. Perhaps even a defensive genius with what he has accomplished through the zone which he has created over the past 4 decades. But anyone who believes that the program hasn't been adversely affected by both the decisions and non decisions that JB has made over the past 10 years or so would be in denial. The programs future is still clouded with uncertainty. A young talented coach who had been groomed for many years is no longer part of the succession plan.

I love this program and always will but I am concerned that we may be in for quite a few years of mediocre teams with the same inherent problems that we have had to deal with recently. Any talk of Syracuse Basketball being among the "Bluebloods" is best left unspoken at this juncture in time. Still, I will always be all in with Cuse Basketball... but I really do wish that we are going to see teams that will be in the top 25 and be a lock for the tournament year after year. Because... that's the Syracuse Basketball program that I've be accustomed to cheering for since 1973

If you're looking for real answers, the rationale 100% matters.

- Sanctions hurt us with depth
- Add a couple of recruiting misses, with a couple that got away (maybe due to sanctions or just Kentucky dirty money)
- Early departures hurt more when you miss on a couple in recruiting and are low on numbers as a result of sanctions
- Coaching - I dunno. Some here think the game has passed JAB by. I'm don't think that.
- Tougher league at the top (I think the old BE was the best with the most depth - but Duke, UNC and now Virginia are top 5 level every year... that's new)

Looks like recruiting is back on it's way up and sanctions are in the rearview. I'm optimistic we'll be back in the dance next year.

Can you wait until next season? Because if you can manage that, you should be good to go.

And rather than pick all the nits in your post, how about just one?
WHO is the Coach in Waiting behind:
K, Ol Cryin Roy, Hamilton, Larranaga, etc??

Those are 4 other non-Spring Chicken coaches in the same damn league, and I'm unaware of ANY of them having any sort of succession plan in place.
It's not a thing, period. Except for that one time, when we made it a thing.
I think it's fair to worry about beyond next year. We need to get back to being a perennial powerhouse program, and one year does not revive us from the last 4-5 (Even with the Final 4's)

So far we have one guy lined up (Goodine), who we "think" will blow up but is, currently, under the radar.

We will lose Howard, Bazley, Brissett and Chukwu after this coming year that we're all hoping brings us back.

That leaves Carey, Hughes, Buddy, Washington, Goodine, Marek (?), Moyer (?) and Sidibe. We desperately need some stud forwards lined up with another talented C prospect if we want to sustain what we hope comes from next year.

- Add a couple of recruiting misses, with a couple that got away (maybe due to sanctions or just Kentucky dirty money)
- Early departures hurt more when you miss on a couple in recruiting and are low on numbers as a result of sanctions
- Coaching - I dunno. Some here think the game has passed JAB by. I'm don't think that.
- Tougher league at the top (I think the old BE was the best with the most depth - but Duke, UNC and now Virginia are top 5 level every year... that's new)

Looks like recruiting is back on it's way up and sanctions are in the rearview. I'm optimistic we'll be back in the dance next year.
i think the old big east was just as tough at the top at its peak. programs like gtown, uconn, pitt, and us all had multiple seasons in the top ten. even st johns was a big power in the early be days. middling big east programs like setan hall and providence reached final fours. nova got a title. yet, we were a big cheese in that mix every season. some of those programs were better in a given year, but we were almost always in the top three. we were the most consistant.

yes, the hoops landscape has changed. for whatever reasons fair or foul the dukes and kentuckys seem to get the cream of the recruiting crop every season, but a program like nova survives and thrives. whatever they are doing we need to learn from them.

I think it's fair to worry about beyond next year. We need to get back to being a perennial powerhouse program, and one year does not revive us from the last 4-5 (Even with the Final 4's)

So far we have one guy lined up (Goodine), who we "think" will blow up but is, currently, under the radar.

We will lose Howard, Bazley, Brissett and Chukwu after this coming year that we're all hoping brings us back.

That leaves Carey, Hughes, Buddy, Washington, Goodine, Marek (?), Moyer (?) and Sidibe. We desperately need some stud forwards lined up with another talented C prospect if we want to sustain what we hope comes from next year.

Fair to worry beyond next year??

No - it's ABSURD to worry beyond next year.

There are 44 million things that could happen between now and then.

Do ANY teams really know who they're going to have on their roster 2 years from now anymore?
Seriously??
In the ESPN Top 60 for 2019, there are exactly 4 guys committed so far.
(We may not even be done for 2018 yet.)

For starters, Goodine just won Gatorade POY, over Cole Swider - AS A JUNIOR.

You keep on looking at the half empty part of the glass - I'll enjoy the part that's half full.

JB and staff need to recruit a C and a top F forward for 2019-20 -- no surprise there, and plenty of time to get it done.

Meanwhile, the table is set for next season. Howard as an all-league candidate at one guard spot. Several candidates to pair with him (Hughes & Carey). Brissett and Bazley at the forward spots should compare with the better forward pairings we have had -- and suddenly the offense will have 4 scoring options. Chukwu in his final year -- maybe adding to his game? How much better can Dolezaj and Sidibe get in the off-season when Dolezaj gains some muscle and Sidibe has healthy knees?

So many reasons for optimism.

Fellow " Cusain" ... I appreciate your point. I certainly didn't intend to imply that they are summarily dismissed as reasons... My point is that you make your own luck to a certain extent. A case could certainly be made that we shouldn't have had to endure the sanctions. Whether they were deserved or not is another conversation all together but the fact remains that it was the actions of the coaching staff... or lack of action as may be the case is the reason we had to deal with the sanctions in the first place. That harkens back to the way the program is being run. As far as kids leaving and recruiting misses... again when there is any semblance of uncertainty and a negative aura as a result of sanctions... compounded by a fuzzy coaching picture ...it affects recruiting. It would be silly to think that didn't come into play.

Since my original post I see that we were the last team in. I'm thrilled... and I'm going to be happy with the fact that we still made the dance in spite of all the aforementioned things. Perhaps this will mark the turning point and we are on our way to claiming our deserved place among the top programs in the Country. Nobody would be more thrilled if that were the case than I.

Fair to worry beyond next year??

No - it's ABSURD to worry beyond next year.

There are 44 million things that could happen between now and then.

Do ANY teams really know who they're going to have on their roster 2 years from now anymore?
Seriously??
In the ESPN Top 60 for 2019, there are exactly 4 guys committed so far.
(We may not even be done for 2018 yet.)

For starters, Goodine just won Gatorade POY, over Cole Swider - AS A JUNIOR.

You keep on looking at the half empty part of the glass - I'll enjoy the part that's half full.
Agreed. The constant self-doubt about the Syracuse program and our HOF coach from some of our fans has become tiresome and is getting on my last nerve. I hope people can finally abandon that hangdog posture after a very successful season next year and securing some more top 100 recruits this spring and summer. I’m sick of all this doubt, even from longtime and knowledgeable fans. Let’s start acting like we're the near-elite program that we have been for 35+ years. And please stop all the hang-wringing about JB’s retirement and replacement. When he finally decides to retire—hopefully after he wins another title and Cuse is back to being a top 25 fixture—we will find a great coach (who’s a great fit) to replace him.

I’m very high on next years team but agree with you that there’s reason to worry beyond that. There should be a good base - in particular, I think sidibe and (hopefully) Carey will be guys capable of being second-third options, and dolezaj and Hughes maybe a half-step behind that. But right now there are two potential stars in the pipeline - Brissett and bazely - and both seem near certainties to be gone after next year.

When the program has been really humming, it’s been a year or two ahead. Right now that’s not the case.

Eta that I think you’re selling sidibe short. He’s an excellent college center if he can stay healthy.

i think the old big east was just as tough at the top at its peak. programs like gtown, uconn, pitt, and us all had multiple seasons in the top ten. even st johns was a big power in the early be days. middling big east programs like setan hall and providence reached final fours. nova got a title. yet, we were a big cheese in that mix every season. some of those programs were better in a given year, but we were almost always in the top three. we were the most consistant.

yes, the hoops landscape has changed. for whatever reasons fair or foul the dukes and kentuckys seem to get the cream of the recruiting crop every season, but a program like nova survives and thrives. whatever they are doing we need to learn from them.

I’d be curious to compare the numbers. Maybe Virginia’s rise to prominence is a short lived affair. But obviously the other 2 have been the cream at the top of the ACC’s top for a long time.

I’m very high on next years team but agree with you that there’s reason to worry beyond that. There should be a good base - in particular, I think sidibe and (hopefully) Carey will be guys capable of being second-third options, and dolezaj and Hughes maybe a half-step behind that. But right now there are two potential stars in the pipeline - Brissett and bazely - and both seem near certainties to be gone after next year.

When the program has been really humming, it’s been a year or two ahead. Right now that’s not the case.

Eta that I think you’re selling sidibe short. He’s an excellent college center if he can stay healthy.

Our good base of younger players is about as good as it can get in the age of 1 and done/2 and done.

We had 3 true frosh, plus a Rs-Frosh, in our 7.0 rotation. Hughes practiced with the program and has 3 more years of eligibility. Carey and Buddy Boeheim come in as 4 year players. Washington is another program player, who has already seen the court (briefly).

So, worry on, if you are convinced SU can never land a potential star or two.

I feel like so many are underscoring the impact of the sanctions. If someone told me at the time they come down that Cuse would make two tournament appearances, with one resulting in a Final Four banner being hung in the Melo center I would have taken that to the bank and done cartwheels along the way. I know that we're not used to being as...average I guess as we have been but there's definitely a reason for that. How many programs would kill to have our success, or lack there of, during the sanction phase? It hasn't been what we're accustomed to because we're lucky enough to be spoiled, but man could it have been a lot worse!