Hop's outburst | Syracusefan.com

Hop's outburst

Frozen

2022 Cali Winner (Rushing Yards)
Sorry if this was discussed already, but what was with Hop flipping out on the bench after Ennis took an ill-advised jumper? He almost kicked the player sitting next to him in the face.

That was a terrible shot. I was thinking to myself why the heck did he shoot that. That has to be the worst decision Ennis has made all year to date. I missed Hopkins yelling at him but I'm 100% behind him.

It was a bad shot. Could've been others not cutting properly or something else going south with that play. Bad play and no foul.

Which shot was this? The only one that I can remember right now that I didn't like was when he did a step back around the baseline.

Which shot was this? The only one that I can remember right now that I didn't like was when he did a step back around the baseline.

I think that was it. Maybe mid 1st H? He drove left and and did a step back/fadeaway perhaps expecting contact. The play looked weird. Everybody was on the other side of the basket. I suspect somebody was supposed to cut or do something.

Yeah, near-side on the south end. He took a bump as he was turning the corner and then inexplicably launched a difficult shot.

It's probably not a good idea to rely on a whistle in that situation. Dribble it back out, run another set. Don't waste the possession.

It was the second half because Ennis was shooting at the basket closest to the SU bench. From the perspective of SU's offense, he was on the left side of the court (closer to cto's seats than to the SU bench).

It was the second half because Ennis was shooting at the basket closest to the SU bench. From the perspective of SU's offense, he was on the left side of the court (closer to cto's seats than to the SU bench).

Bingo. Thanks. Yeah, the Hop tantrum was hilarious, though. Kicking and writhing for a second or two.

If I had to guess, Hop was probably upset about the play not developing (ie somebody else didnt do what they were supposed to). I don't see a coach getting that upset over an ill-advised jumper from the frosh who has shown spectacular judgement all season.

Bingo. Thanks. Yeah, the Hop tantrum was hilarious, though. Kicking and writhing for a second or two.

He nearly kicked whomever was sitting to his left.

If I had to guess, Hop was probably upset about the play not developing (ie somebody else didnt do what they were supposed to). I don't see a coach getting that upset over an ill-advised jumper from the frosh who has shown spectacular judgement all season.
Maybe, but I think he was upset over the non-call. I remember watching, and in real-time I said, "put it up - 2 shot foul." And then nothing was called.

Maybe, but I think he was upset over the non-call. I remember watching, and in real-time I said, "put it up - 2 shot foul." And then nothing was called.

I doubt it. That play looked doomed once Ennis started to do what he did. I didn't see any contact. Clearly something else was supposed to happen on that play, imo. There looked to be all this room in the lane but no Syracuse player moving that way.

Yeah I was sitting right in front of him when he took that shot, I didn't see a foul. Just thought Ennis forced up a bad shot.

Seems funny... I can count on one hand (a hand missing a few fingers) the number of really bad shots that I've seen The Menace take this season.

Kind of a first world (I thought we were new world but I digress) problem!

On tv the way the camera is made it look like there was a lot of lower body contact. Obviously you have a better view in person... must have been the shot and or someone not cutting or crashing the boards hard.

On tv the way the camera is made it look like there was a lot of lower body contact. Obviously you have a better view in person... must have been the shot and or someone not cutting or crashing the boards hard.
Yep, it sure did.

Yeah, near-side on the south end. He took a bump as he was turning the corner and then inexplicably launched a difficult shot.

It's probably not a good idea to rely on a whistle in that situation. Dribble it back out, run another set. Don't waste the possession.

I think that Ennis thought he was going to get the foul call on the hip check as he came around the pick. That's why he launched the shot, but he did not get the call. He was looking for an "and one".

I think that Ennis thought he was going to get the foul call on the hip check as he came around the pick. That's why he launched the shot, but he did not get the call. He was looking for an "and one".

I think that's right (though it probably would've been a continuation call).

My stance is that officials can be capricious in their judgment and letting their whistle determine whether or not an offensive possession is successful is probably a dangerous move. Might be safer to bet on no whistle and run a different play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom