How about Howard | Syracusefan.com

How about Howard

If a defense had to worry about a 15 footer from him...he would be such a threat to go along with all the shooters.

I like him too and he didn't play that well tonight, imo. The more I see Battle the more I like him. At the very least we have better lead guard ballhandling options next season between the two of them.

I didn't think this one of his best outings - he definitely has a great feel for where people should be though. Good instincts out there.

he is oddly effective despite an unusual skill set. he isn't a great passer in a traditional sense, but he sees the floor well which might be more important. he isn't a great ballhandler, but seems quirky enough to be hard to defend. he isn't a scorer, or great defender. maybe there is something here, or maybe he is just better that KJ and someone has to play. I'm hoping he is the josh pace/junkman of point guards, because this team/program could really use that for the next couple years.

When he cuts out the careless turnovers , he'll be so much more effective. You can't have a PG who is loose with the ball and has a negative assist/to ratio. Really looking forward to seeing him develop.

orangehomer said:
he is oddly effective despite an unusual skill set. he isn't a great passer in a traditional sense, but he sees the floor well which might be more important. he isn't a great ballhandler, but seems quirky enough to be hard to defend. he isn't a scorer, or great defender. maybe there is something here, or maybe he is just better that KJ and someone has to play. I'm hoping he is the josh pace/junkman of point guards, because this team/program could really use that for the next couple years.

I think he is going to be a great defender at the top of the zone by his junior year.

When he cuts out the careless turnovers , he'll be so much more effective. You can't have a PG who is loose with the ball and has a negative assist/to ratio. Really looking forward to seeing him develop.

Couple easy layups that DC bobbled away

I like him too and he didn't play that well tonight, imo. The more I see Battle the more I like him. At the very least we have better lead guard ballhandling options next season between the two of them.

Agreed. Nobody is harder on our lead guards than I am, and I'm scratching my head a bit about the universal enthusiasm.

And for the record, Howard was / is my favorite recruit from class of 2015. I just think some of the playmaking superlatives are over the top at this stage of his developmental curve.

He gets to play like 2 minutes a game and yet has multiple impact plays.

RF2044 said:
Agreed. Nobody is harder on our lead guards than I am, and I'm scratching my head a bit about the universal enthusiasm.

And for the record, Howard was / is my favorite recruit from class of 2015. I just think some of the playmaking superlatives are over the top at this stage of his developmental curve.

I think he will make a great backup point guard throughout his career here. He may start at some point, but I think that would mean we've missed on our major targets. If he is our backup, we have some great years ahead.

My only question about this kid is he doesnt seem very intense. He seems a little too cool for school out there. Not sure how that will play out when he's the guy running the show instead of a complimentary piece.

wait, favorite recruit? is that not counting Richardson or Lydon?

I like Howard's passing and ballhandling skills. He has to become a better shooter. He can go to the basket, but eventually the scouting report will be to sag off and play him for the drive/pass. I think he will be great next year playing 20 min a game or so, but I imagine Battle gets the lions share of the minutes at the point.

wait, favorite recruit? is that not counting Richardson or Lydon?

Yup. I loved Howard when we landed him, saw him play live in HS. Doesn't mean that I think he has better potential than Lydon / Mali or NBA potential over them. Just love this kid's game, and think he's going to be a terrific program player in our system.

He gets to play like 2 minutes a game and yet has multiple impact plays.

I believe he's averaging slightly over 9 minutes a game and that is about what MCW did his frosh year, with just over 10 minutes a game. And since JB's return, he's averaging 10 minutes a game over the past 9 game crucial stretch and that's with three 5 minute games (UNC, UVa, and ND).

Cheers,
Neil

I like Howard's passing and ballhandling skills. He has to become a better shooter. He can go to the basket, but eventually the scouting report will be to sag off and play him for the drive/pass. I think he will be great next year playing 20 min a game or so, but I imagine Battle gets the lions share of the minutes at the point.

Agreed. Battle is quicker than Howard and can score easily pretty much from anywhere. Either way I think we will be more than adequate at PG. But, my money is also on Battle getting more run there.

Back on topic... Howard has a lot of Rajon Rondo in him... serious length and athleticism, great potential on D, great passer, no shot. Hopefully he's not the head case Rondo is.

And no I'm not saying Howard is as good as Rondo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom