How can anyone stop Calipari's recruiting machine? | Syracusefan.com

How can anyone stop Calipari's recruiting machine?

OrangeFoo

All American
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...-recruiting/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a3

How does the NCAA turn a blind eye to a rapper getting a GED and then getting an honorary title ring plus being a captain @ an alumni game? What possible connection does Drake have with the institution that is the University of Kentucky that lets Calipari get away with connecting him to his program and honoring him like this. If Drake was some no name off the street would he get all of these benefits?

As long as Calipari is allowed to do this type of thing there is no way anyone is going to take down Kentucky from the outside. It's like USC from the Reggie Bush days... I can't wait till this blows up also. NCAA, all of the smoke is there just as it was with USC, what are you waiting for?

But what rule is he really breaking? Or what rule would you make to prevent this? Drake can't be a fan of a team...?

Drake is famous. He likes UK hoops and to allow the players to see that is huge. Why wouldn't cal take advantage of that?

The good news is that Drake blows. We need to throw out an honorary degree to Jay Z.

The good news is that Drake blows. We need to throw out an honorary degree to Jay Z.
After Nas did Ether I can't listen to Jay-Z anymore. I just laugh at how bad he was humiliated in that rap. That was the all time insult.

Yeah I'm sure it is Drake getting all those recruits :rolleyes:. You want to stop it pay the players. It is not an amateur athletics when the coaches and universities are making millions. It's about TV deals and apparel contacts.

Jay-Z is actually a St. John's fan th_jiggalol.png

You want to stop it pay the players. It is not an amateur athletics when the coaches and universities are making millions. It's about TV deals and apparel contacts.
Correct.

Only way to stop it is to stop the flow of $$$ and other bennies. If the NCAA really wanted to do that, they could.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

interesting that boeheim didnt get a shout with the best actual coaches.

The key to beating Kentucky is out paying them. From what I've seen there standard dollar amount for a good kid is 300k. As soon as someone else pays 350k or 400k kids wont go there anymore.

The key to beating Kentucky is out paying them. From what I've seen there standard dollar amount for a good kid is 300k. As soon as someone else pays 350k or 400k kids wont go there anymore.
seems a little high.

A. Davis was 200k amd he was top dog.

Why wouldn't you turn them in if they're paying players?

Any school can compete with Cal. All they need is one of the major shoe companies/athletic apparel companies to boost recruiting by promising top recruits that they will make sure they get a multimillion dollar endorsement contract after they complete one year of playing for your college team and turn pro. Make sure that nobody on the coaching staff or admin has anything in writing with the sponsor company and that nothing is put in writing to the recruit. That way the school stays "clean". If you want to compete against Cal you will need a sponsor company with real deep pockets. Apparently UnderArmor couldn't outbid Cal's group.

To me, the bottom line here is colleges and universities care very little about the graduation of their student athletes. Here is my thinking on this:
  • NCAA compliance standards mandates basketball-playing schools to basically make sure that each student is progressing toward a degree for however long he is enrolled.
  • Obtaining a degree is not truly an aspect of how schools are rewarded for compliance; it's yearly snapshot of the student-athletes progress toward a degree; so far so good, right?
  • This benefits a situation like currently exists at Kentucky; you bring in a fast-talking slick coach and you make "all things money can buy" to him and turn him loose.
  • When you couple this with the questionable to shady approach to preventing money from corrupting "amateur athletics" through financial inducements to coaches and players by numerous special interests, currently in operation; it's easy how the Kentucky type situation flourishes.
  • Guess who holds the true power here? Whenever the college presidents and chancellors get behind a change it moves through the NCAA and into practice. Just look how quickly the pedophile situation at Penn State moved the NCAA to act (agree with what they did or not). They moved swiftly; and we all know they seldome move swiftly on anything.
  • Thus if college presidents truly wanted the student athletes to obtain degrees the rules would be different and compliance would be linked to graduation of student-athletes.
  • I am not saying here that all colleges and university presidents are implicated here. There are schools, like Syracuse, who commit both money and staff time to assist student-athletes to finish out degrees despite the length of time from the end of their student-athlete status.
Until the overwhelming majority of college leaders transform their thinking from money only to people also; this will continue. Ironically, it also comes down t the apathy of alums and other stake-holders who remain silent and withhold the strong opinions expressed "other places" and yet not with the school he/she is passionate about. As Gandhi implored; "be the change you wish to see" If you don't already; let them know what you think: pick up your phone or send an email. Post on university linked sites on Facebook and other social media sites. There are many ways to get your voice heard and these organizations are very effected by social pressure.
Yes, I realize that I am preaching to the choir here, however, my comments are not meant to offend anyone; merely to express this point-of-view.

Any school can compete with Cal. All they need is one of the major shoe companies/athletic apparel companies to boost recruiting by promising top recruits that they will make sure they get a multimillion dollar endorsement contract after they complete one year of playing for your college team and turn pro. Make sure that nobody on the coaching staff or admin has anything in writing with the sponsor company and that nothing is put in writing to the recruit. That way the school stays "clean". If you want to compete against Cal you will need a sponsor company with real deep pockets. Apparently UnderArmor couldn't outbid Cal's group.

horse manure. you compete by getting them nba ready. having the big east defensive player of the forking year that can't stay with his man is an indictment os a fazul coach.

The one year in college rule is the problem. Let the uber talented high school kids go directly to the NBA, D League or out of the country. There are plenty of talented kids remaining who might benefit from an education as well as contribute to very entertaining and competitive college athletics. So we don't get to see a year of Anthony Davis or Donte Green. I for one got a lot more enjoyment watching four years of Arinze, GMAC, Ricky and Scoop.

The one year in college rule is the problem. Let the uber talented high school kids go directly to the NBA, D League or out of the country. There are plenty of talented kids remaining who might benefit from an education as well as contribute to very entertaining and competitive college athletics. So we don't get to see a year of Anthony Davis or Donte Green. I for one got a lot more enjoyment watching four years of Arinze, GMAC, Ricky and Scoop.
So it's about your enjoyment?

So we don't get to see a year of Anthony Davis or Donte Green. I for one got a lot more enjoyment watching four years of Arinze, GMAC, Ricky and Scoop.

Ha yeah but that one year with Melo was pretty enjoyable...