How could that possibly be? | Syracusefan.com

How could that possibly be?

SWC75

Bored Historian
The latest issue of Central New York Sports Magazine has a chart on page 14 lisitng the revenues, expenses and net profit of the Big East basketball and football programs during the 2010-11 school year. SU is the second leading school in revenue ($19.0 million) and profit ($11.5 million) That's $200,000 more revenue than football but $9,100.000 more in profit. Marquette spends more money than we do, ($10.4 million to $7.5 million), but didn't make as much ($15.6 million).

What makes my eyes bug out :eek: are the Lousiville numbers. Their basketball revenue is $40.9, their expenses $13.3 and their profit $27.5 million. We have the biggest arean in the country and the biggest crowds for decent oppoents. How can they be bringing in twice what we are? What are they spending money on such that they are spending nearly twice what we are? And how are their profits 2 1/2 times what ours are?

By the way Louisville is also #1 across the board in football, ($25.7-$15.6=$10.1), and it's not close in the first and last categories. We spent more on football, ($16.4) with different financial results.

You wonder whay the ACC didn't take Louisville rather than us. It may be academics. It may also be that Dr. Gross promised them we'd shift games to New York City.

there was a thread about this a few weeks ago. Lville is actually in the top 5 nationally in rev's this year.

I believe it was mentioned that their corporate sponsorships and private donations are through the roof.

I recall reading somewhere that the huge jump in Louisville's sports revenue came from basketball arising from "donations" that folks had to make to secure season tickets in prime locations in the new Yum Center. Don't know if that was a one-time thing or if it's an on-going stream. Will be interesting to see next year's figures.

Naming rights for the Yum! Center? Expansion of Papa John's Stadium? I'd imagine there were some sgnificant one time bumps tied to facilities upgrades and that the associated costs were amoritized.

I recall reading somewhere that the huge jump in Louisville's sports revenue came from basketball arising from "donations" that folks had to make to secure season tickets in prime locations in the new Yum Center. Don't know if that was a one-time thing or if it's an on-going stream. Will be interesting to see next year's figures.

Usually seat licenses are a one-time thing.

it would cut UL's expenses down if they didn't pay Ricky P 30 million a year.

Or the figures from the last few years.

Usually seat licenses are a one-time thing.
No, they are not. Trust me. At Syracuse, you have to make a donation every year.

No, they are not. Trust me. At Syracuse, you have to make a donation every year.

Well, I did qualify my statement with "usually". When I had season tickets to the Texans, we only had to pay for the licenses once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom