How do players learn to shoot in the nba | Syracusefan.com

How do players learn to shoot in the nba

Millhouse

Living Legend
Lots of guys get better at shooting on the NBA. Is it just time and repetitions in practice? Is it advanced stats and sportvu telling players where to shoot? Is it coaching mechanics? (All part of it I'm sure I'm just curious about degrees)

Fairs shooting fell off so much. Have to wonder if there is some teaching problem

I'm at the point of sacrificing some length and athleticism for some shooters and better ball handling.

Lots of guys get better at shooting on the NBA. Is it just time and repetitions in practice? Is it advanced stats and sportvu telling players where to shoot? Is it coaching mechanics? (All part of it I'm sure I'm just curious about degrees)

Fairs shooting fell off so much. Have to wonder if there is some teaching problem

I'm at the point of sacrificing some length and athleticism for some shooters and better ball handling.
Basketball is a different game as option no. 4 vs option no. 1. Fair was never a no. 1... More a strong 2-3.

NBA teams are so good at spacing the floor and guys are usually put in spots where they are comfortable.

In regards to SU, how many times in the last 6 weeks have Fair/Grant been given the ball at the 3-pt line and asked to create from there, which is neither's strength? Why didn't we see more of the play where Christmas would screen and roll to the basket and receive a lob from Grant? When was the last time a lob was thrown to one of the best athletes in the country in Grant? At some point in the 2nd half last night, CJ curled and received a pass at the foul line heading to his left hand which he easily finished-where were more of those looks or plays off that set to free Grant/Cooney?

The geeks at Sloan got mad at Stan Van Gundy last month when he said you can't trust all the SportVU data because not every pick and roll is the same- some are to lead to scoring opportunities, while others are done to move into a different set. He said you need to watch film as well to see what the true intention of the play...I mean it's nice to say SU "just nee.eds to make more shots", but I'd like more video to be watched this summer to find ways to get guys the ball in positions where they are comfortable

There was an interesting article written when Florida Gulf Coast was making their run last year. It was about how the head coach was very much about taking raw athletic kids and developing their skills. It also described how he was also very much about relying on advanced analytics to determine strategy and substitution. It'll be interesting to see if approach works now that he's at a higher profile school (USC?).

Practice practice practice...fine tuning...practice practice practice.

Footwork is huge in shooting because a player is much more likely to shoot off the move than just catch and shoot. Good footwork leads to getting a shot off more quickly b/c there is normally a small window of being open. And, like anomander said...repetition. I remember when my son finally grew and could start to shoot above his head rather than from the hip. He had to adjust his technique and fundamentals. He shot almost 40,000 shots over the summer and became a good shooter.

I too wish we would recruit more shooters and ball handlers. Getting length for the zone is obviously necessary, but having 6'3"-6'7" kids that can't shoot or break down a defender really does limit the team. We've had to ugly up games the past few years because of these issues.

I too wish we would recruit more shooters and ball handlers. Getting length for the zone is obviously necessary, but having 6'3"-6'7" kids that can't shoot or break down a defender really does limit the team. We've had to ugly up games the past few years because of these issues.

Players learn to shoot better in the NBA because they can devote more time to it and get more coaching on it IMO. I do some work with a D-League team and one of their wing players significantly improved his outside shot this year by working on it before/after every practice and getting some specific coaching on it to improve his fundamentals. He was below 30% earlier in the year from 3-point range and is at like 45-50% his last 10-12 games.

Wait, you mean pro players have the time to improve their game? Reading some of these threads I was led to believe that you have to return to college, conform to a system, deal with academic obligations and practice restrictions in order to become a better basketball player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom