How does AAU basketball work? Inside the City Rocks, Upstate NY's premier team | Syracusefan.com

How does AAU basketball work? Inside the City Rocks, Upstate NY's premier team

It's tough to take this Jim Hart character at face value.

I'm offering even money that he's caught up in something unsavory in next 5 years.

I'm offering even money that he's caught up in something unsavory in next 5 years.
Obviously there is a lot of payola in the sneaker game but it's not like the City Rocks have been turning out lottery picks. Most of their players have been going to the Siena's of the world and occasionally a Syracuse (including his own son). It's a bunch of upstate NY gym rats doing something for a game they love.

All I know is there are several families out there who spend a lot of time and $$$ traveling back and forth to practices for the exposure of that program. We lost two players from my son's CNY based AAU team over a couple of years to City Rocks and a program down state. Practices were twice a week in the Albany area. God bless the parents for all that driving just for practices. I wouldn't have done it...unless someone paid me. ;)

It's AAU basketball. Fair or not, every coach is guilty until proven innocent in my eyes.

I just hope it's an enriching experience for most of the kids and doesn't burden the parents too much.

Obviously there is a lot of payola in the sneaker game but it's not like the City Rocks have been turning out lottery picks. Most of their players have been going to the Siena's of the world and occasionally a Syracuse (including his own son). It's a bunch of upstate NY gym rats doing something for a game they love.

Division 1

All I know is there are several families out there who spend a lot of time and $$$ traveling back and forth to practices for the exposure of that program. We lost two players from my son's CNY based AAU team over a couple of years to City Rocks and a program down state. Practices were twice a week in the Albany area. God bless the parents for all that driving just for practices. I wouldn't have done it...unless someone paid me. ;)
Part of it is exposure. Playing against quality kids. If you can parlay it into a free ride then it's worth it. My brother in law paid a lot of money for my nephew and it paid off for a four year scholarship. That's the payday.

Lots of d1 but not very top heavy compared to other top AAU programs.

True. And the list of NBA players is very small, but looks like it could be updated soon. Assuming Lydon makes his way back to the big league.

True. And the list of NBA players is very small, but looks like it could be updated soon. Assuming Lydon makes his way back to the big league.

7T374t9M_bigger.jpeg
CityRocksBasketball‏ @TheCityRocks
FollowingFollowing @TheCityRocks
More

Choose your path wisely. Don’t take shortcuts. Nothing wrong with being a “late bloomer” None of our ELEVEN alums who got to the NBA were 5 Stars or Top 100 guys going into their Junior Year!!! #TrustTheProcess

Lydon doesn't show up on their list of alums, in the link above.

Part of it is exposure. Playing against quality kids. If you can parlay it into a free ride then it's worth it. My brother in law paid a lot of money for my nephew and it paid off for a four year scholarship. That's the payday.

I follow youth baseball more closely and see a lot of kids that end up choosing schools where they can play, but I question why from an academic standpoint they would ever choose those schools. I guess its a little different in basketball because there is more scholarship money available to the kids getting the opportunities (although fewer opportunities).

Do the parents live with their son when they are doing this AAU thing?