How does this year impact fan support next year? | Syracusefan.com

How does this year impact fan support next year?

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Broad question, and the answer is TBD. Please don't take this as a "sky is falling" post.

1. No fans this year. This plays a significantly more negative role for schools like ours that have struggled building and maintaining fan support. That said, it might not matter too much given point #2.
2. Poor performance this year. We know what happens when the wins are not there and it ties in quite well with bodies in the stands.

It's easy for most posters here to recognize the situation this season as being so unique with Covid-- limited offseason, adjusted schedule, etc. Add in the injuries, the youth, the new defensive scheme... lot of reasons we can try to explain the struggles. People here are the die-hards and (most) are tuned in to that stuff (these don't alone justify our issues to this point, but we are capable of recognizing these factors). The casual fans are not. Many wouldn't know the top 2 running backs opted out. They don't realize we didn't get a waiver granted for an OL player. The average fan especially in Syracuse is significantly more ignorant to that stuff.

It's a long way off, but I'm very interested to see what ticket sales look like heading into next season especially if things seem to continue on the current path, which seems quite possible given the added injuries. We can call this a "gap/development year" heading into next but for many fans, that record is the big time driver.

A great deal depends on whether or not we win out from here.

Imagine opening the new Dome in 2021 with an attendance of less than 30,000. Season ticket sales drop by 50%. Donation momentum, if there is any, halt.

Thats a very real reality of what may happen if we continue struggling this badly in 2020.

As Trueblue25 said, the possibility of opening up an empty Dome are very, very real. I don't know if they can, but it's in this program's best interest to find three more wins on the calendar. Outside of Clemson and Notre Dame, it really helps Syracuse that the ACC is a crapshoot. Anything can happen. Louisville, who looked poised to have a good year, is 1-3 and could be 1-4 after their game against ND.

It's a definite concern. I'm the kind of fan who has watched games on tv, my laptop, iPad etc. I've gotten whatever cable package I needed to pay for years. I literally plan my weekends around games. It got to the point in the second half Saturday when I came to the realization I was watching the game because it was my routine, not because I was having fun.

Last edited:
It's a definite concern. I'm the kind of fan who has watched games on tv, my laptop, iPad etc. I've gotten whatever cable package I needed to pay for years. I literally plan my weekends around games. It got to the point in the second half Saturday and I came to the realization I was watching the game because it was my routine, not because I was having fun.
Yeah, this is a bad place to be.

Local media will be running with the excuses, fan support will be way down but they'll still pull 20-28k a game if the world is back to normal by then, but really anything but a bowl hurts but if the season continues like this it could kill

It's a definite concern. I'm the kind of fan who has watched games on tv, my laptop, iPad etc. I've gotten whatever cable package I needed to pay for years. I literally plan my weekends around games. It got to the point in the second half Saturday and I came to the realization I was watching the game because it was my routine, not because I was having fun.
I feel ya. I still get excited to tune in but mid way through I really do wonder. It’s in my dna to watch syracuse but this past weekend I was back home with my family and instead of enjoying the beautiful weather outside I found myself sitting there watching duke run for 37276 yards.

Luckily I turned it off with about 6 to go and got out to green lakes state park for some walking before the evening rain blew in. We joke about raking leaves but man, gorgeous colors on the trees!

Taking social issues and financial type influences out of the equation I still am buying season tickets. This is not pro sports. We are not dealing with a team owner or GM who is not willing to spend or is intentionally losing for draft positions. This is about kids and young men practicing and trying to get better and win. It's about spending time with my son on a Saturday shooting the breeze, high fives on great plays and creating an inventory of experiences that he and I will remember. It's also about planting a philosophy in my son that he will take the same approach with his kids. Sure I wish Syracuse was undefeated every year but Syracuse winning is not the end all be all for me and I am not lying awake at night wondering why we have not turned a corner. That will happen when it happens. Lastly pulling your money just handicaps some what can be done for the coaches and team. So why handicap them?

This is the time to pull that extra million out of your wallet and not let the program backslide. ;)

A lot of factors.

1. How long will it take for people to actually want to pack a stadium given the pandemic? Even if there's a vaccine.
2. Do any of the young QBs make any kind of splash this year?
3. How do the dates work out for the schedule? Will we play all 4 OOC before ACC? We could get one of those 4-0 NC State type starts.

Hope springs eternal to start each year. Even the GRob years, we'd have some pretty active early crowds. Of course, we were opening with Iowa, Washington those two middle years.

Albany, Liberty, and even Rutgers will be sparsely attended. No matter what happens the rest of this year.

I say we will hit 30K for the home opener and that number will fall with each loss.

We will have an announced season average of about 27-28K...bodies in the building will be closer to 18-20.

Multiple factors at play here, but performance by players and coaches are the # factor. Only thing that could save it would be a complete rebuild of offense. True hurry up offense (ie, not get to the line and then wait 15 seconds). A true spread offense. throwing 40 times a game, with lots of exotic packages. Excitement. Winning or losing 52-46.

People will show to watch an under .500 team that is exciting and fun. You can't stink AND be boring.

Do I think any of these things will happen? No.

You will have a few people who are just happy to be able to attend sporting events again and the die hards. The on the fence people will jump ship if this year ends at 2 and 9.

You will have a few people who are just happy to be able to attend sporting events again and the die hards. The on the fence people will jump ship if this year ends at 2 and 9.
Yeah we forget like everyone on here is a diehard... ive said this before but we are all here talking to each other on the internet about cuse sports! The people who truly fill the dome aren’t on here

Yeah we forget like everyone on here is a diehard... ive said this before but we are all here talking to each other on the internet about cuse sports! The people who truly fill the dome aren’t on here
I'm a die hard I'll always watch but to attend the game im an on the fence guy. I live 4 hours away not sure I can justify driving 8 hours spending all that money on tickets and food and hotel on this team and taking away a whole weekend.

Not sure it's going to be business as usual by next September. I think the majority of season ticket holders rolled their funds over to next year.

I'm a die hard I'll always watch but to attend the game im an on the fence guy. I live 4 hours away not sure I can justify driving 8 hours spending all that money on tickets and food and hotel on this team and taking away a whole weekend.
That's reasonable.

I live about 5.5 away. If I lived in Syracuse I would have season tickets.

I have one trip in me a year because of the distance. Being that I don't drive, it becomes a multi day excursion for me. They need to look competitive for me to commit to travel and lodging.

This. I am sick of driving 5 hours to watch a team call 3 stupid pass plays over and over.

I can only go to the away games at FSU so I’ve never been able to watch one up there. That being said I’d still go to every game if I lived there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom