How far can they go? | Syracusefan.com

How far can they go?

SDCuse114

Walk On
Hey guys, just want your opinions. I know it's still early to predict but if the Orange are fortunate enough to make the NCAA tourney, realistically how far do you think they can go? If they do make it far and possibly all the way, what will be the reason they did so? Or if they lose, what do you think we'll be ranting about on this forum during and after the game(besides the FOs)?

I predict they'll make it to the second round and end up facing a team like Duke or Maryland and the same old problems will rear its ugly head again. I don't think it'll be any issues due to the other team being more athletic or talented, but just a lack of playing with their motto "Head, Heart, and Hustle."

It'll probably be making simple, preventable errors like passing the ball 5 feet over your teammate's head or at his feet, taking your eyes off the ball when catching, not being able to clear, committing dumb penalties, not communicating well on defense, etc...

It'll probably be from getting demoralized and frustrated after losing face off after face off and watching the other team score at will. This is where senior leadership and a vocal leader becomes very important to keep everybody's heads up and in the game. That's why a player like Megill was so invaluable last year.

But most frustrating to me, it'll probably be watching them get out-hustled by the opponent to groundballs (especially the wings). It's mind-boggling to me to look at the GB stats from the three big losses. In all three losses, even if we doubled our total GBs the opponent would still have more than us! (GB total from the 3 losses: SU:56 Opp:125) How is that possible!? In fact, Cuse has been out-hustled to GBs in 6 of their 9 games so far.

I honestly think if they significantly improve this aspect of the game and nothing else they have a chance of being in games against elite teams and possibly winning:eek:. It's only logical: more groundballs = more opportunities for this talented offense to score and keep it out of the opponent's stick. Also gives the defense a chance to rest. Unlike the face-offs, this is easily fixable: You just want the ball more than the other guy! Use both hands! HUSTLE! ...unless the other guy is faster than you.

I think this should be the only motto for the rest of the season: WE GET THE DAMN GROUND BALLS!! .. or any other variation of that message.

Gives them a singular goal to focus on for each game instead of a myriad of others.

Like the rest of you I want to see this team do great so I hope they prove my prediction wrong!

Go Cuse!

"Head, Heart, and Hu.. uhhh I mean WE GET THE DAMN GROUND BALLS!!"

I couldn't agree more. Really hope some leaders (seniors or otherwise) step up to lead the team into the NCAA Tournament. Not sure how much of the team chemistry and hustle you can put on the coaching staff and how much you can put on the players but I'll say I'm not as big of a Desko fan as I once was.

Two very big games this week. If we go 2-0 (a tall order given we haven't won very much at Cornell) we could end up with a top 4 seed providing we win the games we're supposed to, down the stretch and in addition qualify for the ACC tournament. I saw today that a reputable bracketologist on laxpower currently has us as a 4 seed.I believe it because we have the toughest schedule in the country plus we currently have a RPI of 5.

When I say qualify for the ACC tournament I mean finish in the top four to compete in the main draw.

I couldn't agree more. Really hope some leaders (seniors or otherwise) step up to lead the team into the NCAA Tournament. Not sure how much of the team chemistry and hustle you can put on the coaching staff and how much you can put on the players but I'll say I'm not as big of a Desko fan as I once was.

I think guys like Derek Maltz, Billy Ward, and Dom Lamolinara need to step up in a bigger way than they already have and use their seniority and experience to guide the team. Seriously, somebody needs to light a fire under this team's a**

On a related note, while I was watching the NCAA basketball final post-game press conference with Calipari, he mentioned that although Kentucky was the bigger team, Uconn won the 50/50 balls because "they played with more energy..." that's why they outrebounded the wildcats which was crucial in the huskies winning the national championship (plus they made all their free throws). As much as I hate Uconn, I was impressed with their tournament run. Not many people expected them or UK (7 & 8 seed) to be in the final four. They got hot at the right time and played with tenacity just like they did in 2011. I'm sure not many of us currently expect the Orange lax to make the final four.

But the Cuse needs to find inspiration from that... play with more energy than our opponents to win the 50/50 (ground)balls. Make all our "freethrows" and not commit dumb turnovers. And maybe we can get "hot" at tournament time.

Two very big games this week. If we go 2-0 (a tall order given we haven't won very much at Cornell) we could end up with a top 4 seed providing we win the games we're supposed to, down the stretch and in addition qualify for the ACC tournament. I saw today that a reputable bracketologist on laxpower currently has us as a 4 seed.I believe it because we have the toughest schedule in the country plus we currently have a RPI of 5.

Although I would prefer we win both games, I think the must win for us is the UNC game since they are a conference opponent and a victory would give us a chance of making the ACC tournament further solidifying our chance of making the big dance. While I'm all for having one of the toughest SOS to strengthen your resume, it doesn't help that much for the team's confidence to get spanked by the top teams on your schedule. Hopefully we've fixed our mistakes and running on all cylinders by tournament time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom