How LSU is stopping the spread | Syracusefan.com

How LSU is stopping the spread

Doctor44

2nd String
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/15/5709380/lsu-defense-john-chavis-spread-offenses

An interesting read for Xs & Os enthusiast. I've always been bummed that the SU blogs and message boards dont have more of a strategy based discussion, like many of the other teams. We certainly don't hit their level of analysis for play calling.

Anyways, this article if interesting for how LSU is stopping the spread. It is going to be important for SU to be able to compete with big point teams going forward.

The first major difference between us and them is athleticism (Duh). Where this seems particularly different is on the D-line, where they talk about having long athletic D linema, where as other than chandler jones, we've had mostly run stoppers. Our LBs are undersized and able to help in coverage. Additionally our DBs, are just not the athletes that can cover major ground. We saw some major breakdowns in covereage/ miscommunication last year with many a receiver running wide open. (i was going to say this got better as the year went on, but I seem to remember that play just before half time of the BC game).

The other thing is the zone blitzes from all over. Our D is aggressive, but most of the pressure seems to be coming from LBs. Occasionally eskeridge blitzed and ended up in the back field. Come to think of it, our safeties have been run stoppers, but I'm not sure the last time we had a safety with big time sack numbers.

The blitz scheme that is portrayed here really puts a lot of pressure on DBs to cover a lot of space. I like eskeridge, morgan and reddish (though reddish seems to be better in press coverage).

Interesting to think about going forward how our defense is going to be able to eventually compete with FSU's offense. In high school ball you stop the run and make them beat you with the pass - tough to do against heisman winners though!

Go Orange and I'm ready for the season

When you can start guys like Peterson and Claiborne at the corners and don't need to give them help, you allow yourself the ability to blitz without the fear of getting beat deep. Hopefully we'll continue to see an upgrade of talent in the secondary.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/15/5709380/lsu-defense-john-chavis-spread-offenses

An interesting read for Xs & Os enthusiast. I've always been bummed that the SU blogs and message boards dont have more of a strategy based discussion, like many of the other teams. We certainly don't hit their level of analysis for play calling.

Anyways, this article if interesting for how LSU is stopping the spread. It is going to be important for SU to be able to compete with big point teams going forward.

The first major difference between us and them is athleticism (Duh). Where this seems particularly different is on the D-line, where they talk about having long athletic D linema, where as other than chandler jones, we've had mostly run stoppers. Our LBs are undersized and able to help in coverage. Additionally our DBs, are just not the athletes that can cover major ground. We saw some major breakdowns in covereage/ miscommunication last year with many a receiver running wide open. (i was going to say this got better as the year went on, but I seem to remember that play just before half time of the BC game).

The other thing is the zone blitzes from all over. Our D is aggressive, but most of the pressure seems to be coming from LBs. Occasionally eskeridge blitzed and ended up in the back field. Come to think of it, our safeties have been run stoppers, but I'm not sure the last time we had a safety with big time sack numbers.

The blitz scheme that is portrayed here really puts a lot of pressure on DBs to cover a lot of space. I like eskeridge, morgan and reddish (though reddish seems to be better in press coverage).

Interesting to think about going forward how our defense is going to be able to eventually compete with FSU's offense. In high school ball you stop the run and make them beat you with the pass - tough to do against heisman winners though!

Go Orange and I'm ready for the season
Have you been on Fish Duck? Their stuff is awesome.

http://fishduck.com/playbook/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom