How many declared | Syracusefan.com

How many declared

SBU72

All Conference
Does anybody know how many undergrads declared for the draft this year? That number is usually bandied around but I don't remember seeing. Kind of funny since SU had 2. Then the follow up question is, how many DID NOT get drafted? Wasn't it a couple of years ago where something like 50 or so underclassman declare which meant it was close to being numerically impossible for them all to get drafted.

By my count (wikipedia), 47 underclassmen declared. Some notables that didn't get taken; Maalik Wayns, Hollis Thompson, J'covan Brown, Renardo Sidney.

Just counting quickly, so I could be off by one or two, 17 didn't get drafted.

By my count (wikipedia), 47 underclassmen declared. Some notables that didn't get taken; Maalik Wayns, Hollis Thompson, J'covan Brown, Renardo Sidney.

Just counting quickly, so I could be off by one or two, 17 didn't get drafted.
I assume your count is right. So that means 1 in 3 lost out on improving their game and/or a free education. Seems to be about the for the last few drafts. I wonder if that is a stat that coaches point out and is ignored by the "friends" and agents of these kids.

Next question is how many didn't make the first round, thus don't even get a guarrenteed contract?

I assume your count is right. So that means 1 in 3 lost out on improving their game and/or a free education. Seems to be about the for the last few drafts. I wonder if that is a stat that coaches point out and is ignored by the "friends" and agents of these kids.

Next question is how many didn't make the first round, thus don't even get a guarrenteed contract?

21/47 (again, roughly, anybody feel free to double-check) did not make the 1st round.

Some of those may not have been able to return to school ( grades, trouble, etc.) and may have saved face by declaring.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

So that means 1 in 3 lost out on improving their game and/or a free education.
For some, it may be a moot point. All the Kentucky players got drafted but they weren't planning to get an education anyway.

For some, it may be a moot point. All the Kentucky players got drafted but they weren't planning to get an education anyway.
My question was not about the ones who made it, who were like 95% sure of getting drafted but about the bottom third of the group who did not. (You can throw in those who were only going in the 2nd tound and therefore not even getting the guarranteed big bucks) Leaving aside the "free education", the guys who did not get drafted and had in all probability did not even have a 50-50 chance of getting drafted, gave up a chance at "free" training, and practice. That is the arguement that many of the experts make. Why give up that opportuinty for only a chance (and for many its a slim chance at best) to be drafted. They say get more training, improve your status. And oh by the way they also say that the D-league does not compare with this training either.

Yup, you can look at the majors of most division 1 basketball players and tell that they're all about education, except for the Kentucky players.

Yup, you can look at the majors of most division 1 basketball players and tell that they're all about education, except for the Kentucky players.
My point was that NOBODY goes to Kentucky expecting to play more than one year. Therefore, they don't need to declare a major; they don't have to take classes applicable to a major; they really don't have to think about academics at all. The same applies to some players at other schools, but not most or all players. The sign on the billboard says, "If you want to play ball for one year and never worry about studying or grades because you won't be here long enough to be held accountable, Kentucky is the place to go." Hey, the NBA set up a system in which this works; Calipari took advantage of it. Is it legal? Yes. Is it admirable? No.

The Kentucky players have the same bs majors as every other elite program. 80 pecent of Syracuse basketball players major in communications, but they're serious about their education. Duke players major in African and African American studies but they're serious about their academics, North Carolina was almost exclusively African American studies until it was exposed that many of the classes were fraudulent, now they major in communications. They pushed players into a fraudulent department but they're serious about academics. Kansas is a split between African American studies and communications. Kentucky is communications.

Of all the people I've met in life I can count on two fingers all the people that were communications or African American studies majors. It's funny how all these basketball players have the same degree. Don't say they have to think about academics when these schools are pushing them into the field of least resistance.

The Kentucky players have the same bs majors as every other elite program. 80 pecent of Syracuse basketball players major in communications, but they're serious about their education. Duke players major in African and African American studies but they're serious about their academics, North Carolina was almost exclusively African American studies until it was exposed that many of the classes were fraudulent, now they major in communications. They pushed players into a fraudulent department but they're serious about academics. Kansas is a split between African American studies and communications. Kentucky is communications.

Of all the people I've met in life I can count on two fingers all the people that were communications or African American studies majors. It's funny how all these basketball players have the same degree. Don't say they have to think about academics when these schools are pushing them into the field of least resistance.

No doubt that many athletes have a major that is purposely dumbed down. The General Studies major that Michigan football players were forced into, as exposed by a newspaper series a few years ago, is a good example. The difference at Kentucky that I was pointing out is that players come in knowing that they don't ever need to apply themselves academically because they won't even be held accountable to begin a second season.

My question was not about the ones who made it, who were like 95% sure of getting drafted but about the bottom third of the group who did not. (You can throw in those who were only going in the 2nd tound and therefore not even getting the guarranteed big bucks) Leaving aside the "free education", the guys who did not get drafted and had in all probability did not even have a 50-50 chance of getting drafted, gave up a chance at "free" training, and practice. That is the arguement that many of the experts make. Why give up that opportuinty for only a chance (and for many its a slim chance at best) to be drafted. They say get more training, improve your status. And oh by the way they also say that the D-league does not compare with this training either.
IMHO KJ lost money staying his last two years.

I guess not all b-ball players can be like Andrew Nicholson from St. Bonaventure who graduated with a BS in Physics. and I believe he was honor role to boot.

Given the fact that my wife (currently employed as a Director of Marketing) has a masters degree in Public Communications from Syracuse University I have to point out there are legitimate options in life if you get a communications degree. Especially from a place like SU with it's pipeline to the worldwide leader.

Personally, if I was ever in the position of being an advisor to someone who will make a lot of money in the future on sports, I'd have them take classes in contract law and basic accounting, and sports conditioning. Make it a pro baller specific individual study option.

It's an interesting line of questions here though. I wonder if this year was statistically similar to other years in the past or if there have been changes to the percentage after the one and done rule was implemented.

The difference at Kentucky that I was pointing out is that players come in knowing that they don't ever need to apply themselves academically because they won't even be held accountable to begin a second season.

That's true, but it isn't like it was just because of Kentucky.

if Anthony Davis committed to SU instead of Kentucky, he will would have come in knowing he wouldn't be held accountable for a second season. I'm sure all of those kids had intentions of only going to college for one year regardless of where they went to school.

It's an interesting line of questions here though. I wonder if this year was statistically similar to other years in the past or if there have been changes to the percentage after the one and done rule was implemented.
I have a feeling it is the norm. I had pointed out that not to long ago there were something like 65 underclassmen declared for 60 draft spots. Can't remember what year, it may have been when Flynn, Harris and Devendorf left in 09. Now there is a counter example of why kids leave early. One was an obvious 1st rounder, one was going to be a 5th yr sr with a family and the third was not going to improve his status. So for them to go early made sense to them. And while that may have been true of some of the kids who left early this year, some, even the 2nd rounders would have benefited from staying. Even the experts point that out.

I do wonder about the NCAA though. If it is about the students, why are kids given such restrictions (declare/undeclare by certain dates, don't sign with agent). Why not allow kids to enter the draft, pay for their work outs and be able to go back to school if they don't want to accept their draft fate. Heck, in baseball, kids get to make their choice. Get drafted as a hs senior then decide if they want to go pro or to college.

Personally, if I was ever in the position of being an advisor to someone who will make a lot of money in the future on sports, I'd have them take classes in contract law and basic accounting, and sports conditioning. Make it a pro baller specific individual study option.

Agreed. Mix in courses that'll improve critical thinking and cultural literacy with courses that will have some bearing on the players' future quality of life.